•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tri-pier adjustability

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 natwin

natwin

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:32 AM

I have a question for those of you that use tri-piers, whether from iOptron or other manufacturers. How much adjustability is there for setting up and leveling on uneven ground? Do the legs have much individual adjustment capability, or is it really just minor leveling with foot screws? Basically I’m interested in a portable setup that can be easily leveled on uneven ground in a grassy field, desert sand, or mountain meadow. Can any of the tri-piers handle such uneven terrain or are they basically confined to driveways and parking lots?

#2 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

See this for the adjustability of the Astro-physics eagle pier 

https://www.astro-ph...s.com/eagle6-ez

IMO the iOptron tri-pier (not the tripier 360) is a poor mans copy of the eagle, so the adjustability should be similar.

cytan

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:16 AM

From the iOptron Tri-Pier spec page:

Uneven Ground Range = 3.35" (85 mm)

If you need more, use patio or cinder blocks lol.gif

#4 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:05 AM

There is no problem adjusting for uneven ground. My patio fall away for water drainage so the tri-pier must be adjusted to level the mount. I use a couple of 1" scrap pieces of wood on two legs. This makes leveling much easier. This leaves just a small amount to adjust on one leg. Cytan is right. It's not exactly an eagle but I really like it. It really makes the mount that much more rigid. 

Edit: I bought mine used so that much better 😁.

Edited by mikeinlehigh, 27 October 2020 - 11:10 AM.

#5 tjz

tjz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

I've got the iOptron Tri-Pier and it's never been an issue. In the rare case I run out of range in the individual leg adjustments, I just go grab a big flat rock, or paver, or whatever is handy and get a better starting point that way.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics