•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dew heater for the eyepiece end of binos?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

I have two binos (Canon's 15x50 IS and the smaller 10x30 IS) and while I have a controller and dew straps for my scope (made by Kendrick) I don't have anything for the binos. My recent experience with cold and humid evenings (~0C) was that the eye pieces were fogging first, due to the humidity from the very close eyes. I kept the binos inside my coat once in a while, but still, they were fogging too quickly and I had to take long breaks. 

I haven't seen straps for binos and I'm a bit concerned of using the scope strap for the bino because the relatively tight wrapping on the sides (a scope has a gentler curve). I was thinking of getting perhaps the pad heater, putting it in a shoe-like box and keeping the entire bino there once in a while.

EDIT: just noticed the pad heater runs on 120V, so I meant the laptop heater on that page. The one problem with it, though, is that the bino would be horizontal so the glass would not be facing the heating source.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Razvan

Edited by RazvanUnderStars, 27 October 2020 - 09:09 AM.

#2 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

I keep a 12 volt hair dryer handy for all observing. Works great on all eyepieces.

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Vanguard

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

I wrapped straps around the objectives and eyepieces of my binoculars (10x50 were the smallest). I used one strap at each end to cover the glass and it worked perfectly.

#4 Bortle9

Bortle9

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX, USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:39 AM

There are very inexpensive coffee mug warmers/coasters that are USB powered that might fun to test. I'd guess one could warm 4 EP's. A USB power bank, a couple of sub $5 warming coasters and you're set for hours!

Their intended function of keeping coffee warm is a bust, even indoors. I have the lurid pink panda one.

#5 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

I ended up putting 1.25" heating straps around each eyepiece (since it's got a similar diameter) and one longer strap around the entire bino towards the sky. This way I don't have to interrupt observing while the bino is warming up again. Winter can come now :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics