•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best LRGB out there?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

Without much words to write down, just what do you think the best set of LRGB out there with triplet or good quality scopes without leaving Halo/reflections or bloated stars?

#2 nimitz69

nimitz69

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:10 AM

chroma or astrodon

#3 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

chroma or astrodon

I figured out, i thought about those two, now which one of those two anyway? I won't or can't buy both.

#4 idclimber

idclimber

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

As I recall Chroma used to make the filters for Astrodon. You can purchase directly from them and their customer service is top notch as well. 

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:56 AM

As I recall Chroma used to make the filters for Astrodon. You can purchase directly from them and their customer service is top notch as well. 

I did read that, making Chroma as in same quality league as Astrodon if not better anyway, but with LRGB in particular, i saw one comparison in the past between Astrodon and Chroma LRGB filters, and someone mentioned that there is still an issue with Chroma, but that was in the past, is it still there or it is different now? I have Chroma NB filters no issues and one Astrodon NB filter also no issue, only i have to choose LRGB to match them.

#6 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

Without much words to write down, just what do you think the best set of LRGB out there with triplet or good quality scopes without leaving Halo/reflections or bloated stars?

I don't have any experience higher grade stuff, but I've never had any halo/bloat problem with my ZWO LRGB set, and I've tried them on really bright stars.

I'm actually quite happy with them and I don't see myself upgrading them anytime soon TBH.

#7 imtl

imtl

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: On earth

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

I don't have any experience higher grade stuff, but I've never had any halo/bloat problem with my ZWO LRGB set, and I've tried them on really bright stars.

I'm actually quite happy with them and I don't see myself upgrading them anytime soon TBH.

Usually halos come from narrowband filters

#8 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:50 PM

That is great, it means most LRGB sets out there are all good enough, because the majority said that ZWO is the least here, but having ZWO that good means anything else mainly from known brands will definitely be great then, but that doesn't mean that something could go wrong or a copy could have issues from non top high end ones.

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:51 PM

Usually halos come from narrowband filters

That is why i bought high end narrowband filters, and i thought that LRGB are more prone for halos mostly in blue followed by red, and maybe L too.

#10 imtl

imtl

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:37 PM

That is why i bought high end narrowband filters, and i thought that LRGB are more prone for halos mostly in blue followed by red, and maybe L too.

That is true. Hence why I wrote usually smile.gif. With Baader LRGB I used to get halos in blue and L. With Chroma I get zero

#11 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:12 PM

That is true. Hence why I wrote usually smile.gif. With Baader LRGB I used to get halos in blue and L. With Chroma I get zero

I want a final confirm about Chroma, Astrodon is more expensive than Chroma these days and i don't know why, Chroma is in same quality, even some converted from Astrodon to Chroma anyway, now i have to decide carefully which LRGB set i will buy, i saw two bandwidth/wavelength of LRGB from Chroma, not sure which one is the correct true one, i don't know how to contact Chroma anyway.

#12 imtl

imtl

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

I want a final confirm about Chroma, Astrodon is more expensive than Chroma these days and i don't know why, Chroma is in same quality, even some converted from Astrodon to Chroma anyway, now i have to decide carefully which LRGB set i will buy, i saw two bandwidth/wavelength of LRGB from Chroma, not sure which one is the correct true one, i don't know how to contact Chroma anyway.

Don't know which two bandwidth of LRGB you saw but link

Customer support: link

#13 nimitz69

nimitz69

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:00 PM

Correct, so I don’t think it matters, get which ever ones are available ....

#14 alan.dang

alan.dang

Ranger 4

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

Astrodon and Chroma

The IDAS LRGB Type 4 will be interesting.  Their LP filters have not had a lot of halos, but the Type 4 LRGB is a new concept of allowing more IR.  It only comes in unmounted 31mm, 36mm and mounted 52mm

https://digiborg.wor...and-rgb-filter/

#15 imtl

imtl

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:24 PM

Astrodon and Chroma

The IDAS LRGB Type 4 will be interesting.  Their LP filters have not had a lot of halos, but the Type 4 LRGB is a new concept of allowing more IR.  It only comes in unmounted 31mm, 36mm and mounted 52mm

That will give more star bloat.

#16 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Don't know which two bandwidth of LRGB you saw but link

Customer support: link

And look at the chart from this link if i will order from that site for example

https://optcorp.com/...lrgb-filter-set

#17 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:05 PM

Astrodon and Chroma

I don't know if i will wait until it is available, sounds i won't get it because i only look for 1.35" mounted size.

#18 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:05 PM

That will give more star bloat.

I agree

#19 imtl

imtl

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

And look at the chart from this link if i will order from that site for example

https://optcorp.com/...lrgb-filter-set

Tareq,

I believe this is an old spectra of old stock form Chroma. This has changed a long time ago. Probably OPT never bothered to update it on their website. I would trust only what's on Chroma website. I have the LRGB 1.25" and they provide the spectra and it is the one I sent you. I bought mine through Tolgaastro which I highly recommend. link

#20 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:12 PM

Tareq,

I believe this is an old spectra of old stock form Chroma. This has changed a long time ago. Probably OPT never bothered to update it on their website. I would trust only what's on Chroma website. I have the LRGB 1.25" and they provide the spectra and it is the one I sent you. I bought mine through Tolgaastro which I highly recommend. link

Well, i will never know that if you didn't mention it, i just wanted someone like you to confirm about it, so Chroma just updated their filters then, and that will be nice.

The price is the same across many stores as i can see, now i have only to find a store that can ship it free within CONUS, i have an address there, if Tolga astro will ship it free then i will order it from that store, i have another stores i can use that might give me free shipping.

Thank you very much

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics