•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

32-Year Anniversary: 3 Planets Naked-Eye Daytime Same Day!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Central NC

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:53 AM

It was a special day on 10-27-88.

I noted while driving to work that Jupiter was quite near the Moon, which could make it easy to spot after sunrise. Venus was at or near morning elongation, so that should be an easy target after sunrise too.

When I got to work, the sun was rising. There was Venus...and there was Jupiter!

I thought, "Wow, Jupiter and Venus in daytime!" This was the first time I ever saw Jupiter in daytime.

Little did I know what would happen late that afternoon...

We went food shopping and just before sunset we were walking toward the store, facing east. 

Mars was at or near opposition, and I saw it rising low in the east on the way into the store.

So: three planets naked-eye in the daytime on the same day!!

• Dave Mitsky, ArizonaScott, brentwood and 12 others like this

#2 Soupernova

Soupernova

Lift Off

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:24 AM

I love pointing this kind of stuff out to people that truly have no idea.  Everyone I run into thinks they're just stars.  Blows their minds most times!

Funny enough I was born just a few days after this memory of yours! 11-05-88

Edited by Soupernova, 27 October 2020 - 10:26 AM.

• Deven Matlick, chrysalis and Defenderslideguitar like this

#3 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:44 AM

Very cool, Mark.  Thanks for sharing.

I've seen Jupiter and Venus - same day - many times, but I don't recall, for certain, whether one of those days also saw Saturn (after sunrise, for a brief time).  It would have been at the Weekend Under the Stars near Fox Park, Wyoming, likely between 1999 & 2003.  If I did manage Saturn (same day), it certainly wasn't a case of simply looking for it after sunrise; I would have "followed" it from pre-dawn to early morning.

I remember helping my family see mid-day Venus at my uncle's mountain cabin near Pagosa Springs, Colorado (with help from a "pointer" pine tree's crown).  They were quite surprised.

Cheers!

Dan

• chrysalis likes this

#4 spereira

spereira

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:15 PM

Moving to Solar System Observing.

smp

#5 jc482p

jc482p

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: northern NJ, USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

well, someone has a pretty good memory.

Last month, I remember seeing Jupiter and Saturn as the Sun was going down.  Jupiter was the first "star" visible in the sky.  I saw Mars and Venus in the morning too, on the same day, but before daybreak.  So I can't claim to have seen so many planets during the same daytime.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics