•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR2778 Flaring, HA & WL | Oct 27th 2020

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:24 AM

Hey all,

It has been a hot minute since I've been able to do much or see much due to terrible storms this year, non-stop hurricanes and tropical storms, to the point of exhausting the greek alphabet and hit a total of 27 storms in just a short season. So I think it's been 2 solid months since I've been able to do anything astronomy related other than quick peaks from a small setup at night. Storms are still happening, so this morning was a fluke. My laptop was limping along after a few spills on the keyboard so I had to do a work around with a desktop for a while and it's significantly slower on the USB bus, so that's the next thing to work on is replacing it. It's always something!

AR2778 is a fairly interesting region with a nice sunspot. Nice pores and umbra and visible umbra. It appears to be a class D sunspot (please correct me if this is not correct!). It actively flared while imaging this morning and it was changing rather rapidly with all the activity which is a nice change of pace. I didn't have much time due to incoming stormy weather and my seeing was not superb with the moisture, so barely average and not supportive of my image scale, so this image series is lower resolution than it could have been. Seeing conditions went sub-arc sometimes but mostly stayed over an arc-second so I would have had more success with a smaller aperture but there was no time to swap it all out and start again with incoming weather. Still a very interesting region!

B&W:

50537316757_d85a38f545_c.jpg

50537166386_1ee0d78f62_c.jpg

Colored:

50537166566_fbf1ba4153_c.jpg

50537166251_a852461e6c_c.jpg

Seeing Conditions:

Unsupportive of resolution potential of the C8 this morning, but had no time. Hovered just over an arc-second. Should have used 120mm~150mm.

SeeingConditions_10272020.jpg

Equipment:

C8 Edge + full aperture D-ERF (Primary D-ERF)

HA Filter

Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (2nd D-ERF and WL imaging filter)

ASI290MM camera

Solarsetup_10272020.jpg

Very best,

• BYoesle, Lost in Space, SgrB2 and 7 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:32 AM

very  nice work, thanks .

Edited by sunnyday, 27 October 2020 - 11:43 AM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#3 tholan

tholan

Mariner 2

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:50 AM

Good to see your work again Marty. Out of the question here in Soutn Dakota, 14 deg F this morning.

Regards,

Tom

• MalVeauX likes this

#4 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:03 PM

Glad to see you back at it Marty. Great set again.
  • MalVeauX likes this

#5 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:39 PM

Nice detail in those images!

I was wondering what part number of Baader R-CCD-IR filter you are using? All I can find listed is R-CCD. Is this the same? Looking to better protect my Quark.

Thanks

Jeff

• MalVeauX likes this

#6 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

Welcome back Marty.

• MalVeauX likes this

#7 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:00 PM

Nice to see your images again

With the new sunspots I hope to get a good day soon

• MalVeauX likes this

#8 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

Welcome back and great shots despite the conditions. Looking up on the Mees Solar Observatory site they classify this spot as Cai in the McIntosh Class (I finally got that book Bob always recommends "Observing the Sun a Pocket Field Guide" and happened to be reading that section when I saw your post!)

As you can see from my clear sky chart below, I'm not going to be seeing anything for awhile!!

Edited by rigel123, 27 October 2020 - 01:17 PM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#9 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

Looking up on the Mees Solar Observatory site they classify this spot as Cai in the McIntosh Class 

Mike can you post a link, can't find that info on their site.

• MalVeauX likes this

#10 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:42 PM

Thanks all, bow.gif

I was wondering what part number of Baader R-CCD-IR filter you are using? All I can find listed is R-CCD. Is this the same? Looking to better protect my Quark.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I use the Red and Blue Baader CCD-IR block imaging filter series for both imaging and for D-ERF purposes, they're great and hold up.

https://agenaastro.c...-fr-2-2458475r/

Welcome back and great shots despite the conditions. Looking up on the Mees Solar Observatory site they classify this spot as Cai in the McIntosh Class (I finally got that book Bob always recommends "Observing the Sun a Pocket Field Guide" and happened to be reading that section when I saw your post!)

As you can see from my clear sky chart below, I'm not going to be seeing anything for awhile!!

I'm using an old solar astronomy handbook, it's using the Waldmeier classification system. I'm no expert at all on this part of things, so I'm trying to start classifying things if possible. I may need to get a new book though if it were easier! The difference from class C to class D seems to be the presence of a penumbra around both poles with other pores and groupings within the region (D) while the class C seems to only have the penumbra on a single pole's spot. My book is old though and I'm still going through it all to figure this stuff out.

Very best,

#11 astro_1

astro_1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA, Nebraska

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:30 PM

Thanks all, bow.gif

Hi Jeff, I use the Red and Blue Baader CCD-IR block imaging filter series for both imaging and for D-ERF purposes, they're great and hold up.

https://agenaastro.c...-fr-2-2458475r/

I'm using an old solar astronomy handbook, it's using the Waldmeier classification system. I'm no expert at all on this part of things, so I'm trying to start classifying things if possible. I may need to get a new book though if it were easier! The difference from class C to class D seems to be the presence of a penumbra around both poles with other pores and groupings within the region (D) while the class C seems to only have the penumbra on a single pole's spot. My book is old though and I'm still going through it all to figure this stuff out.

Very best,

Thanks!

• MalVeauX likes this

#12 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

Mike can you post a link, can't find that info on their site.

It is actually the NOAA site which I found as a link from the Mees Solar Observatory website:  https://solarmonitor.org

Thanks all, bow.gif

Very best,

I don't know that I could tell the difference even after reading that chapter, it said it is tough to classify and gave a reference to checking the Mees Solar Observatory website but it was actually a link they provided which I posted above.

• MalVeauX likes this

#13 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:54 PM

It is actually the NOAA site which I found as a link from the Mees Solar Observatory website:  https://solarmonitor.org

I don't know that I could tell the difference even after reading that chapter, it said it is tough to classify and gave a reference to checking the Mees Solar Observatory website but it was actually a link they provided which I posted above.

Based on the info sent, let me know what you think in terms of class C vs class D! :)

Very best,

#14 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:56 PM

Based on the info sent, let me know what you think in terms of class C vs class D! smile.gif

Very best,

Based on your images I would have gone with D as well.

Edited by rigel123, 27 October 2020 - 03:57 PM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#15 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:12 PM

Thanks Warren!

• rigel123 and MalVeauX like this

#16 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

Nice work, Marty!

At least you don't have snow. smile.gif  We got our first snowfall of the season last night ... with more flurries on the way tonight.

• MalVeauX likes this

#17 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

Nice images Marty! bow.gif  I hadn't seen your work in a long while I thought you retired.  lol.gif

• MalVeauX likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics