•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dipping toes into autoguiding with soon to be purchased new mount

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rnyboy

rnyboy

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, NY (Bortle 7/8)

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:39 PM

So I'll be purchasing a new CGEM in the not too distant future, when I'll get it delivered is more of a question however.

Anyways, I want to get into autoguiding with it and been looking more into autoguiding and wondering what the best value for the buck is in guide scope/sensor combos.

I've just started looking at various setups and now in two camps, one is the ~50-60mm guide scope camp or the 30mm  f4 mini-guide camp both with something like an ZWO ASI120mini or ASI10MM-S camera.  I see that SVBONY has a mini-guide with the same specs as ZWO for half the price and so far the little bit of SVOBONY stuff I've purchased, not having things to compare too though, have appeared to have been of good quality.

For those with experience how do you like the miniguiders?  One thing I like about the miniguide idea is they can't have much flex given their construction and the sensor can be screwed onto the back, which I like better than the standard slide into and lock with screw connections, but may or may not produce a focus problem but I assume not since apparently it works.  Plus they're relatively light in weight but I don't think that will be too much of an issue with a 40 lb class mount.

I was looking into the integrated products like Orion's Magnificent Mini AutoGuider and Meade has a similar product but at around $350 that seems rather expensive when for around $225 I can pretty much get the same setup by buying the guide scope, sensor, and a couple of cables.

Is USB3 speeds really that much better for autoguiding than USB2?  The ASI120mini is $30 cheaper that the ASI120MM-S, both have the same sensor but for some reason the MM-S has better specs, so the MM-S is probably the better choice for the 30mm mini I would guess.

There's a SVBONY SV106 60mm F4 guide scope for around $80 that would seem to be a decent match as well with a threaded connection for the sensor and I was wondering if anybody has used one these for their autoguiding?  I just don't know how much of an advantage the 2x larger aperture has in regards to typical autoguiding situations.  Certainly it's easier to drop too much signal than it is to increase what isn't there to begin with.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by rnyboy, 27 October 2020 - 12:41 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics