•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

shopping for a monster

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: cape coral florida

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:15 PM

perhaps the title may be a bit of an exaggeration but im lookin for pointers as what scope will be suitable for up close and personal lunar detail observation. i truly enjoy all aspects of space but i have a crush on the moon. i think im doing things right this time as opposed to my approach 2 years ago when i did a lot of guess work on what scope i should get. Asking on a forum is what i should have done before buying a telescope. so, im looking to to buy a telescope with goto/tracking capabilities under $1800 usd. i had my eye on the xt10g from orion but do i REALLY need something that big to really get close detail of the lunar surface? i currently own an xt8 plus but tracking is not easy lol please feel free to add your suggestions below i will take them into account on my decision. thanks kindly. 

chris

#2 BradFran

BradFran

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

You can get an equatorial platform for your XT8. The XT10 is nice, but with your budget I'd look for a premium mirror. Maybe a used 10 or 12 with a Zambuto and put it on a platform. If the seeing is good (as is often said to be the case in Florida), a big mirror will really bring out the details. Someone sold a nice Starmaster for less down your way not long ago. A want add might shake something loose.

Edited by BradFran, 27 October 2020 - 01:29 PM.

#3 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

i really need to learn about equatorial platforms. does an eq platform track? is it motorized? or is it with slow motion knobs? i think i find it easier to setup a goto and let it track on its own. please correct me if im wrong. thanks brad

chris

#4 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:02 PM

+1 for the eq platform. Your XT8 is more than capable of providing excellent lunar views and detail. If it were me, I'd look into a platform and if you only have a couple eyepieces, perhaps adding to your collection.

• BradFran and humma kavula like this

#5 BradFran

BradFran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:08 PM

They are very worth looking into. The scope sits on top and it tracks for an hour or so, but otherwise the operation is the same. After an hour you have to pull it back and it tracks again. Here is a link to Ed Jones platforms. TomO used to make an excellent Compact, but on his website I only see the larger aluminum versions.

I like them better than GoTo for smaller Dobs. But they are another piece of gear to transport and raise the eyepiece height. If Covid weren't a thing, I'd say get to a star party and try some out.

If you want GoTo the 10" Orion is hard to beat for the price.

• humma kavula likes this

#6 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:54 PM

thats so cool. i will read up on it now. i see many advanced astronomers use eq platforms on dobs. thanks brad

#7 icomet

icomet

Ranger 4

• Loc: Montana

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:41 PM

Maybe here:

http://eq-techplatfo...d.com/home.html

Clear Skies.

#8 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

Just another viewpoint here.  Maybe consider an ED refractor around 4" to 5" on an EQ mount.  I don't know that you can even get manual EQ mounts these days, but with the clutches and the slo-mo controls, its very easy to track.

Keep the Dob for DSO's.

#9 BradFran

BradFran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:41 PM

It might be interesting to ask a similar question on the Lunar Observing forum and see what they come up with.

• ShaulaB likes this

#10 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

im torn between the orion xt10g and the skywatcher 10 inch goto collapsible. 

there is a slight difference in price between the two. the skywatcher is less expensive. what is the disadvantage on the skywatcher?

Edited by humma kavula, 27 October 2020 - 10:31 PM.

#11 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:56 PM

Here's some insight in a current thread from one of the old pros here on the Flextube 10 inch

https://www.cloudyni...er-10-flextube/

Edited by Echolight, 27 October 2020 - 10:57 PM.

#12 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:27 AM

just read through that topic and it seems people are complaining about the focuser tube. i dont think it will be a real deal breaker but ill look deeper into this. thanks echo!

#13 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:14 AM

just read through that topic and it seems people are complaining about the focuser tube. i dont think it will be a real deal breaker but ill look deeper into this. thanks echo!

Probably not.

Some say the flextube doesn't hold collimation well. But being able to reduce the length so easily for travel and storage could be a big plus.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics