•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Roll off roof observatory rain detection and control

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nthoward41

nthoward41

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

Hi all,
I actually just completed a small (6x8 foot) RoR observatory to house my setup. So far it is working great but I am thinking that I would like to add a Aleko gate opener (ar900) to automate the roof. I would also like to add some system in that will detect rain and then close the roof when it is detected. I know there are solutions for this like SkyRoof that I have read about on other posts. One thing that is not clear to me is how/if these systems move the telescope prior to closing the roof. In my setup the telescope needs to be moved to a more horizontal position before the roof can close.

Is there a solution that exists that will detect the rain (I was looking at something like an RG11), tell the telescope to slew to a horizontal position, and then close the roof? I currently use SGP so something that interfaces with it would be highly desirable. I am sure these solutions exists but I am curious what is available and what others use.

#2 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:52 PM

Hi,
I use an RG-11 in single drop detection mode connected to a RPI and also keep the measured amount of drops per minute for the last 60 minutes to determine whether the roof can open or should close. I also have to park my mount before closing.
But I do not use SGP and/or ASCOM, I wrote some code and scripts that I use together with KStars and INDI because I'm using Linux.
My code for the RG-11 a.o. is here which integrates with KStars via https://indilib.org/...fety-proxy.html and as a backup next to that I also use ekos_sentinel.py 
-- Hans

Edited by lambermo, 27 October 2020 - 04:53 PM.

#3 Rodney W.

Rodney W.

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bathurst, NSW Australia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:01 PM

Hi all,
I actually just completed a small (6x8 foot) RoR observatory to house my setup. So far it is working great but I am thinking that I would like to add a Aleko gate opener (ar900) to automate the roof. I would also like to add some system in that will detect rain and then close the roof when it is detected. I know there are solutions for this like SkyRoof that I have read about on other posts. One thing that is not clear to me is how/if these systems move the telescope prior to closing the roof. In my setup the telescope needs to be moved to a more horizontal position before the roof can close.

Is there a solution that exists that will detect the rain (I was looking at something like an RG11), tell the telescope to slew to a horizontal position, and then close the roof? I currently use SGP so something that interfaces with it would be highly desirable. I am sure these solutions exists but I am curious what is available and what others use.

G’Day, I use the Sky Roof Controller in combination with an Aurora Eurotech weather sensor to do what you are seeking to achieve. I don’t have to worry about parking my scope first but the Sky Roof Controller does have this functionality built in. The controller will check that the scope is parked before closing the roof. It can be integrated with SGP Pro to coordinate the parking of the mount before closing the OBS. There is a set of terminals on the Sky Roof Controller that can be wired to a photo electric sensor that detects that the scope is parked.

CS

Rodney

#4 Nshepro

Nshepro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:59 AM

Hi,
I use an RG-11 in single drop detection mode connected to a RPI and also keep the measured amount of drops per minute for the last 60 minutes to determine whether the roof can open or should close. I also have to park my mount before closing.
But I do not use SGP and/or ASCOM, I wrote some code and scripts that I use together with KStars and INDI because I'm using Linux.
My code for the RG-11 a.o. is here which integrates with KStars via https://indilib.org/...fety-proxy.html and as a backup next to that I also use ekos_sentinel.py
-- Hans

#5 Nshepro

Nshepro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:06 AM

Lambermo, does your code end the imaging cycle and essentially run a bedtime routine? (Park the Mount, close the roof). Can you add tasks once the roof is closed like taking flats? I think it really cool you wrote your own code to make it work. I can get Arduino to flash SOS so far so I have a ways to go.

#6 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 14 November 2020 - 03:16 PM

Lambermo, does your code end the imaging cycle and essentially run a bedtime routine? (Park the Mount, close the roof).

Yes, it's this set :
  • stop scheduler
  • park mount
  • close cap
  • close roof
  • warm ccd

Can you add tasks once the roof is closed like taking flats? I think it really cool you wrote your own code to make it work. I can get Arduino to flash SOS so far so I have a ways to go.

That can be done in multiple ways, but I have no ready-to-go script for it yet.

-- Hans

Edited by lambermo, 14 November 2020 - 03:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics