•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY600 adapters

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gregbradley

gregbradley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:39 PM

I have ordered a QHY600m and want to mount it on my FLI filter wheel. What is the width of the dovetail on the end of the QHY600? I see it comes with a tilt adapter are owners using that or removing it? The only backfocus sensitive use I have for it is on a CFF 105mm F6 refractor. The adapter needs to only consume about 2mm of back focus.

The seller offers a free adapter with the camera.

Greg.

Edited by gregbradley, 27 October 2020 - 02:57 PM.

#2 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:12 PM

https://www.qhyccd.c...=94&id=55&cut=1

Mechanical drawings are at near the bottom of web site.

Peter 

#3 gregbradley

gregbradley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Peter.

So the internal female thread of the tilt adapter is M72?

Do most take the tilt adapter off and that leaves a dovetail. What is the diameter of the dovetail?

Thanks,

Greg.

#4 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:04 PM

If the "tilt" adapter you are referring is the one that comes with QHY600M, this "tilt" adapter bolts directly to only QHY filter wheels, medium or large size. It won't work with FLI filter wheel. QHY filter wheels comes with "tilt" adapter but it's too small and it gets replaced by the "tilt" adapter that comes with QHY600M.

Be aware of the term "tilt adapter" as advertised by QHY is misleading because it does NOT adjust for tilts. That's a very bad translation on QHY part when they say that it comes with "tilt" or "auto-centering" adapter. QHY600M dovetail connects to "tilt" adapter which then bolts to QHY filter wheel. The dovetail is to help frame DSOs, that's all. It's a very good design dovetail.

The threads in the "tilt" adapter is M54.

I don't think FLI filter wheel can connect directly to QHY600M dovetail connection. You may need custom adapter made by Precise Parts.

The diameter of the dovetail is shown at the link I provided. Scroll to the bottom of the web site.

Bottom line, please give us in details of what you are trying to do?

Peter

• ArkabPriorSol likes this

#5 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

I have ordered a QHY600m...

Should have gone with ASI version; seems to have better acceptance/support/accessories. I would avoid third party accessories (e.g., FLI) with these cameras. Regards

#6 gregbradley

gregbradley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:50 AM

If the "tilt" adapter you are referring is the one that comes with QHY600M, this "tilt" adapter bolts directly to only QHY filter wheels, medium or large size. It won't work with FLI filter wheel. QHY filter wheels comes with "tilt" adapter but it's too small and it gets replaced by the "tilt" adapter that comes with QHY600M.

Be aware of the term "tilt adapter" as advertised by QHY is misleading because it does NOT adjust for tilts. That's a very bad translation on QHY part when they say that it comes with "tilt" or "auto-centering" adapter. QHY600M dovetail connects to "tilt" adapter which then bolts to QHY filter wheel. The dovetail is to help frame DSOs, that's all. It's a very good design dovetail.

The threads in the "tilt" adapter is M54.

I don't think FLI filter wheel can connect directly to QHY600M dovetail connection. You may need custom adapter made by Precise Parts.

The diameter of the dovetail is shown at the link I provided. Scroll to the bottom of the web site.

Bottom line, please give us in details of what you are trying to do?

Peter

Thanks Peter. I see it now. I did not scroll down far enough and was looking at the drawing higher up. 77mm Dovetail. The FLI CFW 5/7 has a 74.4mm opening for a dovetail. SO it has an M54 internal female thread on this "tilt adapter" So I would need an M54 to 74mm dovetail adapter. I may need to get a thinner OAG than the MMOAG as it takes up 34mm of backfocus.

Greg.

#7 gregbradley

gregbradley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:03 AM

The ASI version has its issues with adapters as well. I read a lot of posts about both. Most seem to think the existing opening on the ASI6200 produces vignetting and it too small. Also the tilt plate is no good. I have an ASI183mm Pro which is a nice camera and has been good to use so far.

The QHY dovetails is 77mm and the FLI filter wheel opening is 74.4mm so that is close but no cigar so it looks like I bolt a dovetail to the "tilt adapter" of the qhy600 on the filter wheel side and on the camera side it goes to a male M54 thread to screw into the threaded opening.

I use my high end FLI CFW 5/7 filter wheel with 50mm square 5nm Astrodons on many cameras including the ASI183. No problem. 

What problems have you heard of specifically with CMOS cameras? I will be running the camera separately from other devices on its USB3 cable ( a better one than supplied).

There are several things that made me decide on the QHY600 over the ASI6200 (both seem good cameras so its not a total one sided win).

QHY offers the industrial grade sensor, ASI the consumer grade. This is very similar to the old Class 2 and Class 1 CCD sensors.

The consumer grade has a plastic housing around the sensor the industrial a ceramic. The industrial grade has less hot pixels. Its designed to last longer.

The QHY has these extra read modes that offer various advantages. ASI though would be simpler.

ASI6200 thread recently about microlens reflections on narrowband images with bright stars recently was concerning.

QHY fix for the horizontal banding is a good plus.

QHY has a much larger 1gb of DDR3 versus 256K in the ASI.

The ASI has a 2 USB hub which would be useful to reduce cables.

But more importantly the best images I have seen so far from the IMX455 are almost always QHY600m. At the end of the day I judge by results. 

But as I say I think both cameras are very good and anybody would be happy with either of them but the above points were important to me and the extra cost is worth it.

Greg.

Edited by gregbradley, 28 October 2020 - 02:16 AM.

• leviathan likes this

#8 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:06 AM

Nothing wrong with QHY choice, Greg. I recently bought QHY600L. Both ZWO and QHY cameras on IMX455 require M54 x 0.75 thread, so in any case you need custom adapter from FLI FW to M54.

#9 gregbradley

gregbradley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:00 AM

Thanks for that. M54 x 0.75 on camera side ending in a dovetail 74mm into a FLI CFW5/7.

Greg.

#10 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:46 AM

Thanks Peter. I see it now. I did not scroll down far enough and was looking at the drawing higher up. 77mm Dovetail. The FLI CFW 5/7 has a 74.4mm opening for a dovetail. SO it has an M54 internal female thread on this "tilt adapter" So I would need an M54 to 74mm dovetail adapter. I may need to get a thinner OAG than the MMOAG as it takes up 34mm of backfocus.

Greg.

The ASI version has its issues with adapters as well. I read a lot of posts about both. Most seem to think the existing opening on the ASI6200 produces vignetting and it too small. Also the tilt plate is no good. I have an ASI183mm Pro which is a nice camera and has been good to use so far.

The QHY dovetails is 77mm and the FLI filter wheel opening is 74.4mm so that is close but no cigar so it looks like I bolt a dovetail to the "tilt adapter" of the qhy600 on the filter wheel side and on the camera side it goes to a male M54 thread to screw into the threaded opening.

I use my high end FLI CFW 5/7 filter wheel with 50mm square 5nm Astrodons on many cameras including the ASI183. No problem. 

What problems have you heard of specifically with CMOS cameras? I will be running the camera separately from other devices on its USB3 cable ( a better one than supplied).

There are several things that made me decide on the QHY600 over the ASI6200 (both seem good cameras so its not a total one sided win).

QHY offers the industrial grade sensor, ASI the consumer grade. This is very similar to the old Class 2 and Class 1 CCD sensors.

The consumer grade has a plastic housing around the sensor the industrial a ceramic. The industrial grade has less hot pixels. Its designed to last longer.

The QHY has these extra read modes that offer various advantages. ASI though would be simpler.

ASI6200 thread recently about microlens reflections on narrowband images with bright stars recently was concerning.

QHY fix for the horizontal banding is a good plus.

QHY has a much larger 1gb of DDR3 versus 256K in the ASI.

The ASI has a 2 USB hub which would be useful to reduce cables.

But more importantly the best images I have seen so far from the IMX455 are almost always QHY600m. At the end of the day I judge by results. 

But as I say I think both cameras are very good and anybody would be happy with either of them but the above points were important to me and the extra cost is worth it.

Greg.

Greg,

Looks like you have a good understanding about attaching QHY600 to FLI FW. Also your reasons for getting QHY600M over ASI6200 is similar to mine. I've read QHY has good customer support and they always help diagnose their customers' products by troubleshooting remotely. Not many companies do that.

Peter 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics