•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Tech AT70ED vs AT72ED II

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 starwatcher168

starwatcher168

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have been in the hobby for more than 30 years and I plan to have a grab n go scope can carry around easily. I recently noticed AT72ED II ($469) then I found Astro-Tech has another similar AT70ED($299). Besides different glass and the Vixen dovetail vs the regular camera mount, what are the major difference to have those $170 price premium? Does anyone has experience on those two can share with me. Appreciate your input.

Edited by starwatcher168, 27 October 2020 - 03:00 PM.

• MarkGregory likes this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have been in the hobby for more than 30 years and I plan to have a grab n go scope can carry around easily. I recently noticed AT72ED II ($469) then I found Astro-Tech has another similar AT70ED($299). Besides different glass and the Vixen dovetail vs the regular camera mount, what are the major difference to have those $170 price premium? Does anyone has experience on those two can share with me. Appreciate your input.

For visual, they're pretty close.  For imaging, the 72 has significant improvements, it's designed as an entry level DSO imaging scope.

• Mihai and starwatcher168 like this

#3 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

I think the big ones are the glass type (FK-61 vs. FPL-53), the much more utilitarian rings and dovetail, and a rotating focuser (technically a camera rotator).

The glass type probably won't matter very much for visual use, considering these scopes are primarily used for wide-field observing. Of larger concern for me would be the dovetail shoe vs. bar. I had a 70mm f6 scope with a dovetail shoe, and it was terrible. I much prefer the utility of a longer bar, but of course you'll pay extra for that luxury.

Cheers,
Nick

Edited by rustynpp, 27 October 2020 - 03:54 PM.

• MarkGregory and starwatcher168 like this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

By the way, the AT70ED is a new scope that Astronomics I believe is expecting early next year; I don't think any of us have one.

The AT72EDII,  on the other hand, has been around for a while and is the improved version (with FPL-53 glass) of the original AT72ED.  My guess would be that the AT70ED is going to be closer to the original AT72ED.

• Jon Isaacs, MarkGregory, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#5 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

I don’t know the differences between the two. However, I will say this....I recently purchased the AT72EDll and it is one fantastic scope. One of the best views of the Moon I have ever had. I love everything about it. 

• Terra Nova, BFaucett, starwatcher168 and 1 other like this

#6 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

Much better focuser and build. If you are going to image the AT72EDll is the better choice. For just a lightweight visual scope the AT80ed would be better than the AT70ed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • bobzeq25 and starwatcher168 like this

#7 starwatcher168

starwatcher168

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:38 PM

Appreciate everyone's input, I noticed AT70ED will be available until Jan 2021. I think I will just go ahead to get AT72EDII as I read a lot of good review about it. I have a NexStar 5 SE and I think I might be able to use this mount with AT72EDII to use its go to capability or just use a regular camera tripod for spotting scope when use lower magnifying and best portability.

#8 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:42 AM

I'm waiting on an AT72EDII and many in the current shipment have already been pre-ordered. You might want to check with Astronomics to see if they have any left. If not, the next shipment will probably be in three months.

• BFaucett and starwatcher168 like this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:57 AM

Much better focuser and build. If you are going to image the AT72EDll is the better choice. For just a lightweight visual scope the AT80ed would be better than the AT70ed.

What makes you think the AT-72EDII has a much better focuser and build?   I think they're different but both have 2 inch rack and pinion focusers that should be very similar and the overall build should be very similar. 

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

https://www.astronom...fpl-53-f-6.html

I do agree that if it fits the mount, an 80mm is preferable to a 72mm for visual.  I had the original AT-72ED for a while as well as an 80 mm F/7 FPL-53 Doublet.  I preferred the 80mm, it's no a lot more but enough.

Jon

#10 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:24 AM

What makes you think the AT-72EDII has a much better focuser and build? I think they're different but both have 2 inch rack and pinion focusers that should be very similar and the overall build should be very similar.

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

https://www.astronom...fpl-53-f-6.html

I do agree that if it fits the mount, an 80mm is preferable to a 72mm for visual. I had the original AT-72ED for a while as well as an 80 mm F/7 FPL-53 Doublet. I preferred the 80mm, it's no a lot more but enough.

Jon

Maybe my terminology of "much better" is a bit strong. The focusers on the AT scopes are considerably better than what was available only a couple of years ago. It is still a common complaint on some other brands of scopes especially in the lower to middle end price range.

I believe that the focuser on the 72edll is a bit more substantial and rotates the camera to.

The 70ed and 80ed ise the same very good quality focuser.

• Jaimo! likes this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:57 AM

Maybe my terminology of "much better" is a bit strong. The focusers on the AT scopes are considerably better than what was available only a couple of years ago. It is still a common complaint on some other brands of scopes especially in the lower to middle end price range.

I believe that the focuser on the 72edll is a bit more substantial and rotates the camera to.

The 70ed and 80ed ise the same very good quality focuser.

Honestly, no one has seen the AT-70ED, both the 70ED and the 72ED2 have 2 inch rack and pinion focusers from almost certainly the same manufacturer.  I am not seeing any evidence of a difference in build quality.  

This is not some other brands... 

A rotating focuser has advantages but it also has disadvantages.  With a rotating foot like the AT-70ED, a rotating focuser is redundant.  

Jon

• alphatripleplus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics