•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference between Baader 2" filters and Baader 2" full-frame?

filters
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VivianAran

VivianAran

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:55 PM

I'm looking at getting some narrowband filters to use with my (unmodded) Canon 6D and WO zenithstar 81. Astronomy .tools suggests I should use a minimum of 44mm filters for my set up.

I'd be happy with a set of the Baader 2" filters, but then there's 'Baader 2" narrowband filterset' and 'Baader 2" narrowband full-frame filterset' which is £80 more expensive. I can't see any other difference than the name and price on any website I check about them. I'm assuming there's more to it, since they also have 'Baader 2" narrowband CCD filterset', which apparently are intended for modded cameras but isn't specified anywhere on any page I can find either.

I'm assuming it's pretty self explanatory, the non-full-frame ones will not quite cover my canon chip entirely, or maybe it's only refers to AP specific cameras? Or maybe the difference in my set up between the two different filter sets would be minimal? Any advice would be welcome.

#2 sixela

sixela

Hubble

• Loc: Boechout, Belgium

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:34 AM

Depending on _where_ you insert them filters with M48 will lead to extra vignetting or not when you use full-frame sensors (not that vignetting is the end of the world -- that's what flats are for). THe point of the "full-frame filter sets" is that you can get them in larger sizes than M48 (the 2" filter threads filters are almost 2" large, but because of the filter threads and retaining rings the clear aperture of those is 'just' 46mm).

#3 sixela

sixela

Hubble

• Loc: Boechout, Belgium

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:40 AM

You might be interested in the Astronomik clip filters XL for full-frame cameras.

https://www.astronom...vollformat.html

But the latest MkII 6Ds are no longer compatible with Astronomik's first version of the clip filters for the 6D...

#4 VivianAran

VivianAran

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

Okay, I think I get it. Thank you very much. I can live with a bit of vignetting.

I still think I'm going to get the 2" filters rather than the DSLR clip in kind. I intend to get a filter wheel and an astro specific camera a bit further down the road.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics