•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium object titles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:06 PM

For some time now, I've been wondering how Stellarium has come up with the names on a lot of DSO's. M78 "Casper the Friendly Ghost Nebula", NGC 1788 "Cosmic Bat Nebula", NGC 2477 "Electric Guitar Cluster" and NGC 1245 "Patrick Starfish Cluster", I mean REALLY, Patrick Starfish, if their referring to the character on SpongeBob (my son watched this when he was little) one of the stupidest cartoon characters I've ever seen. These are just the few that I could remember off the top of my head. Why do we have a need to change things? Why can't we just keep to the titles that were originally given.

Edited by homerdt, 27 October 2020 - 04:08 PM.

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:19 PM

Because the original NGC and IC numbers did not have names, just the catalog version and a number  I think it is an attempt to help people with smaller scopes try to find these objects. In small scopes they look like fuzzy irregular blobs. If you give a name to the fuzzy blobs they can get an idea they are looking at the correct object by its shape. Either way they are not "official" names.

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

waytogo.gif

Harry Potter and the Golden Snitch nebula is a favorite of mine and a classic target...

NGC7380_WIZARD_2_CROP_R_S.jpg

Otherwise known as NGC7380, The Wizard Nebula...

What did we ever do before J.K. Rowling? (But I and my grandson love the books...)

#4 homerdt

homerdt

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

waytogo.gif

Harry Potter and the Golden Snitch nebula is a favorite of mine and a classic target...

attachicon.gifNGC7380_WIZARD_2_CROP_R_S.jpg

Otherwise known as NGC7380, The Wizard Nebula...

What did we ever do before J.K. Rowling? (But I and my grandson love the books...)

Yeah, that was another one. I still think it's wrong... Not the "Wizard" part but Harry Potter.

Edited by homerdt, 27 October 2020 - 04:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics