•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars, October 26, San Francisco - how would you rate seeing ?

astrophotography Celestron filters imaging observing planet SCT
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lpalbou

lpalbou

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

One processed image (AS3, registax) taken out of several hours of rotation captured.

Mars C8 edgehd Omni 2x - Oct 26, 2020, San Francisco

Based on that video (raw footage red channel), how would you rate that seeing ? 

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I think I was at critical focus; I tried later on to adjust but never managed to get that sharp (could also be seeing degrading over night). It's really not easy sometime to focus on planet, especially with a lot of backlash and mirror shifting with the celestron focus motor.

Equipment: ZWO 290mm mini, celestron edgehd 8", barlow omni2x (f20, so more like x6-7)

Edited by lpalbou, 27 October 2020 - 04:36 PM.

• Sunspot, Kenny V., R Botero and 3 others like this

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:57 PM

If that raw video was of the red channel, then I'd put seeing at around 2/5.

I'm also curious as to the source of the cloud-like artifacts on your finished image. Were these really that obvious in the blue (and only the blue) channel, under such poor seeing conditions?

#3 lpalbou

lpalbou

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:09 AM

So Youtube has degraded slightly the raw footage, it's less fuzzy and one can see some shades of grey on the surface.. but that's interesting for me to know you would rate that 2/5. I have very rarely better from my rooftop in San Francisco.. And it's not been easy with the covid to really get away.

As for the blue channel, well there is definitely some signal on it and it doesn't seem to be any kind of artifact, I think those were really clouds:

Mars red and blue channels unprocessed

Stacked before wavelets - Left = red channel; right = blue channel

Note: my luminance and red channels are very close in terms of details. Btw, do you all do LRGB or just RGB or other combination for Mars ?

Edited by lpalbou, 28 October 2020 - 12:20 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Celestron, filters, imaging, observing, planet, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics