•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hunting binoculars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

I have been using my Canon 10x42 L IS binoculars for quail hunting. I wear them in a chest harness. They have been great for helping me locate the coveys of quail in the desert from elevated positions.

The problem is that they are huge and heavy. They get in the way of me getting a good gun mount. I thinking of ordering a pair of Vortex Razor 10x42 binoculars.

How is the optical quality of the Razor compared to my Canons?

#2 drt3d

drt3d

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:26 PM

I checked and see that there are two versions of the Vortex Razor, HD for $1000 and UHD for $1500. 

Based on the price alone, I would expect them to be as good or better than the Canon, but I don't know personally.

Are minor differences important for hunting?

Also, aren't you going to miss the image stabilization of the Canons? That's the feature that attracts people to the Canons.

George

#3 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

I will miss the stabilization. But, walking 4-5 miles in the desert with gun and gear is a little much with such a big binocular.

Small details at a distance locating quail can be important.

#4 drt3d

drt3d

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:45 PM

The Vortex at 2 lbs is not exactly lightweight, compared to 2.5 lbs for the Canon. :)

I like the Canon 10x42 a lot for the image quality and stabilization. If weight (and bulk) is a problem, when for example I go to take pictures and carry a bag with cameras/lenses, I switch to something really lighter like 10x30.

George

• DeanD likes this

#5 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

The Vortex Razors are 24.8 ounces. The Canons are 39 ounces.

#6 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

I agree with George. If you are daytime viewing then even a good pair of 10x25 (like the Swarovski CL: weighing 12 oz...) will do the job nicely. Any bigger than that has a larger exit pupil than your daytime eye dilation anyway. Bigger binos are better for dusk viewing.

Edited by DeanD, 27 October 2020 - 08:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics