•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dobsonian branding

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

Hello CNers,

I recently sold my Orion Skyquest XT10" Dob to a good customer of mine who is just getting into Astronomy, that scope is a perfect match for him and his kids. I will replace it with a 12" Dob My Question is... The Orion Skyline 12 looks a whole lot like the Zhumell Z12, for a bit more money. Are they the same scope? 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jerhro

#2 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:04 PM

YUP! 

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:08 PM

YUP! 

Hello Gene,

Quick to the point perfect. Thanks.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• gene 4181 likes this

#4 moonrakercat

moonrakercat

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:08 PM

Hello CNers,

I recently sold my Orion Skyquest XT10" Dob to a good customer of mine who is just getting into Astronomy, that scope is a perfect match for him and his kids. I will replace it with a 12" Dob My Question is... The Orion Skyline 12 looks a whole lot like the Zhumell Z12, for a bit more money. Are they the same scope? 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jerhro

You might consider a 14" or 16" dob instead of the 12 ?   The difference in brightness between the 10 and 12 is very small.   Imo. 

• Jethro7 likes this

#5 bandazar

bandazar

Messenger

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:17 PM

careful of aperture  fever.  The best telescope(s) are the telescope that you actually use.   If a telescope becomes so large that you never use it, well, then a small telescope is better than no telescope, probably.

• ShaulaB, Jethro7, sanbai and 1 other like this

#6 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

You might consider a 14" or 16" dob instead of the 12 ?   The difference in brightness between the 10 and 12 is very small.   Imo. 

careful of aperture  fever.  The best telescope(s) are the telescope that you actually use.   If a telescope becomes so large that you never use it, well, then a small telescope is better than no telescope, probably.

Thank you Moonrakercat, and Bandazar,

12" inches of Aperture is all I will ever need. At 14"+ you are moving to a truss Dob and a step ladder.  I wish to stay with a solid tube Dob and feet on the ground.  A 12" + a NVD will give me the power of a 24" Dob. The 12"Dob will be no more difficult to move around than a 10", Leaving it assembled on a hand truck and wheeling it about.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 27 October 2020 - 08:45 PM.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#7 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

How about 12" truss dob by Orion?  I highly enjoy my XX12g.

• Jethro7 likes this

#8 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:44 PM

Orion Skyline or Plus, Apertura, and Zhumell are all GSO.  Orion Classic, Intelliscope and GoTo,  and Skywatcher, are Synta.

My personal preference between the 2 is for Synta, since, in my experience,  their mirrors are Much more consistent.  I have owned 6 Dozen Dobs.

• Jethro7 likes this

#9 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:50 PM

That is why I stopped at 20" for a portable scope, although a 25" might have worked at the time.

This aperture thing goes both ways when considering a single scope.  If a scope is small enough that it is not showing the detail/depth one is after, then it is likely to fall into disuse at some point.    The view through the 20" actually compels me to take it to dark sky.     

Knowing one's expectations and limitations is an important part of this.  Consider how and where you will use it, transport, etc. before setting your max size limit.

On the flip side...

The difference in brightness between a 12 and a 14 is actually less than between a 10 and a 12.  14 to 16 is smaller still.  (And of course 8 to 10 is a considerably bigger jump in magnitude.)  

• bandazar and Jethro7 like this

#10 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

Orion Skyline or Plus, Apertura, and Zhumell are all GSO.  Orion Classic, Intelliscope and GoTo,  and Skywatcher, are Synta.

My personal preference between the 2 is for Synta, since, in my experience,  their mirrors are Much more consistent.  I have owned 6 Dozen Dobs.

My much more limited experience is the opposite, I've seen more variation in the Synta mirrors, and better quality and consistency in the GSO's.  The bad ones I have seen have been Syntas.

#11 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:54 PM

I was reading somewhere about the pyrex mirrors used in the XT12i. Same as in their higher end XX scopes. They made it out like it was a big deal, so I figured it was.

Synta I guess, from others comments? But the Skyline doesn't specify glass type, so I don't know. The XX12 does though, "Low thermal expansion borosilicate glass".

The regular XT12 uses BK-7 glass, and I guess GSO scopes from comments here.

So make from that what you will. 

Edited by Echolight, 27 October 2020 - 09:02 PM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#12 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:02 PM

How about 12" truss dob by Orion?  I highly enjoy my XX12g.

Hello eyeoftexas,

I have and truss tube Dobs have too many moving parts. Those Orions are well thought of and sure look good. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

P.S. that Starmaster must be amazing. 

Edited by Jethro7, 27 October 2020 - 09:07 PM.

• eyeoftexas likes this

#13 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:04 PM

I'd prefer blue, but the silver XX12i looks nice.

#14 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:16 PM

Can't get the link to work for some reason. But if you google Orion XT12i and go to the Company 7 site they talk about the use of Pyrex on the XT12i.

Apparently the pyrex distorts less than BK-7.

Edited by Echolight, 27 October 2020 - 09:19 PM.

#15 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

I was reading somewhere about the pyrex mirrors used in the XT12i. Same as in their higher end XX scopes. They made it out like it was a big deal, so I figured it was.

Synta I guess, from others comments? But the Skyline doesn't specify glass type, so I don't know. The XX12 does though, "Low thermal expansion borosilicate glass".

Hello Echolight,

Even The Zhumell Z12 description does not mention the primary mirror material. But the reviews are stellar on the Zhumell  Z12's 

P.S. I could paint it green and name it Kermit.

#16 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:45 PM

Hello Bean614 and Echolight,

Worse comes to worse there are places you can send a mirror and have it recontoured and resilvered but there goes the cost.

#17 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:54 PM

Hello Echolight,

Even The Zhumell Z12 description does not mention the primary mirror material. But the reviews are stellar on the Zhumell  Z12's 

P.S. I could paint it green and name it Kermit.

I agree that Apertura AD and Zhumell Deluxe versions are well reviewed.

Also comes with a 2-speed focuser that I would want. XT12i does not.

• Jethro7 likes this

#18 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:08 PM

I agree that Apertura AD and Zhumell Deluxe versions are well reviewed.

Also comes with a 2-speed focuser that I would want. XT12i does not.

Hello Echolight,

That is interesting about the focuser. My XT10 was a single speed. A two speed is big plus.

#19 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:12 PM

You should be able to see a lot with that down in the keys!

#20 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:30 AM

Thank you Moonrakercat, and Bandazar,

12" inches of Aperture is all I will ever need. At 14"+ you are moving to a truss Dob and a step ladder.  I wish to stay with a solid tube Dob and feet on the ground.  A 12" + a NVD will give me the power of a 24" Dob. The 12"Dob will be no more difficult to move around than a 10", Leaving it assembled on a hand truck and wheeling it about.

A 14 inch shouldn't need a ladder but it's best if it's truss. 

A 12 inch is significantly longer and heavier than a 10 inch, maybe moving it with a hand truck won't be too much difference but loading it in a car, lifting the OTA, dealing with it, there's a significant difference. 

Jon

#21 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:01 AM

A 14 inch shouldn't need a ladder but it's best if it's truss. 

A 12 inch is significantly longer and heavier than a 10 inch, maybe moving it with a hand truck won't be too much difference but loading it in a car, lifting the OTA, dealing with it, there's a significant difference. 

Jon

Hello Jon

I always appreciate your input. That's my game plan to move it with a hand truck. And the Dob will stay home. I have other scopes and mounts for the road. A 12" Dob will be about all the aperture I should need. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics