•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Framing in Stellarium

astrophotography planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Manteh

Manteh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I am just a biginner who's trying to work out the basics of planning my shots.

I'll be shooting with a DSLR camera attached to a telescope. In order to see things in focus I need to add an eyepiece.

Here is the problem: on Stellarium, in order to find what objects will be included in my subs, do I either use the "Eyepiece" or the "Sensor" framing options in the top right corner?

Thanks in advance

Clear skies

#2 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

Welcome to CN!

For shooting with a DSLR, you don't use an eyepiece at all (unless you want to take afocal pics thru the eyepiece, and those are generally confined to high power planetary pics); you simply use the telescope as the camera's lens at prime focus. You'll need an adapter (camera to 2"/M48 in a lot of cases) to attach directly to the scope, and you'll probably want a field flattener for a refractor or a coma corrector for a reflector. Be aware that not all scopes will come to focus due to limited focuser travel and/or scope design.

So, in Stellarium, use the sensor tab, and make sure you have the right info entered for your camera in order to get the correct field of view.

• Dynan and Manteh like this

#3 Manteh

Manteh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:20 AM

Welcome to CN!

For shooting with a DSLR, you don't use an eyepiece at all (unless you want to take afocal pics thru the eyepiece, and those are generally confined to high power planetary pics); you simply use the telescope as the camera's lens at prime focus. You'll need an adapter (camera to 2"/M48 in a lot of cases) to attach directly to the scope, and you'll probably want a field flattener for a refractor or a coma corrector for a reflector. Be aware that not all scopes will come to focus due to limited focuser travel and/or scope design.

So, in Stellarium, use the sensor tab, and make sure you have the right info entered for your camera in order to get the correct field of view.

Thank you very much for your time. Now everything is much clearer!

• aa5te likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics