•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue M2C in the cold?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:03 PM

I'm considering getting an M2C for my 120mm refractor for grab & go sessions during winter, when setting up a GEM would be too much. I wonder how it performs (eg how smooth are the movements or anything else worthy of mention) with temperatures of, say, -15C (5F).

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Razvan

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:22 PM

All I know is that I don't operate well at 5F.

• Stellarvue, John Miele, turtle86 and 1 other like this

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:41 PM

At 5 degrees F, my mustache sticks to the eyepiece..yeeeooooww! lol.gif

• turtle86 likes this

#4 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:07 PM

I have never gone that cold: it just doesn't happen here! However, I have never noticed any problem with an M2 mount at any other temperatures (ranging from ~32F to 110F (not night-time!)). Basically it is just teflon on metal, and you adjust the tension as required; so I don't see how the temperature would affect anything apart from a possible tension adjustment.

All the best,

Dean

• Stellarvue, turtle86, Ken Sturrock and 2 others like this

#5 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:14 PM

Agree with Dean. I've never gone that cold either but there's no grease or intricate mechanics. 

#6 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

Thanks to both. So it becomes a matter of whether teflon behaves differently in cold weather. Something I need to research.

#7 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:01 PM

All I know is that I don't operate well at 5F.

funnypost.gif

#8 Stellarvue

Stellarvue

Vendor (Stellarvue)

• Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 12 November 2020 - 01:29 PM

You should have no issues at all down to 5F or even 0F... probably lower still, but we've never actually put it to the extremes for testing as it will probably work in much colder temperatures than a person can. We talked about this among some of the staff here too, and nobody can remember anyone having reported issues with their M2C or even the older M2 model due to cold. The only exceptions to this were a handful of cases where people applied some kind of grease to the Teflon bearings (...please don't do that), but as long as the bearings are clean and dry like we ship them you should be able to work in some seriously uncomfortable temperatures. Hope that helps! Should be a great match for your refractor.

-Isaac

I'm considering getting an M2C for my 120mm refractor for grab & go sessions during winter, when setting up a GEM would be too much. I wonder how it performs (eg how smooth are the movements or anything else worthy of mention) with temperatures of, say, -15C (5F).

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Razvan

• RazvanUnderStars, DeanD and Bowlerhat like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics