•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

can you use APM 100-45 ED APO binoculars for terristal viewing

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 enddumper

enddumper

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:44 PM

hey guys i hate to be the **** in the room but here goes anyway, does anybody have any informative info on whether or not i can use these boat anchor of binoculars APM 100-45 ED APO for any kinda of terrestrial viewing or just outer space gazing thanks any info would help

• markb likes this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:23 PM

The 45-degree are great for terrestrial! The 90-degree ones are actually better for astronomy.    Tom

#3 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:52 PM

Absolutely!

but you will have to get used to upside down and backwards, of course. Oops, it has been a while...

Scanning side to side will take getting used to, and you may suffer the nauseating "globe effect", not really a big issue. As I understand it, eyepieces with barrel/pincushion (don't recall at the moment) are intentionally used in regular binos to avoid the problem. Many astro eps will avoid it as well.

And views will be BRIGHT.

High power, sharpness and lack of color will make the views extrodinary compared to 'conventional' binoculars, even big ones.

I prefer the 45 over the 90 for night use (and daytime as well, if I dragged them out), but that one really varies by user and, I would think, the mount and tripod/pier used.

Edited by markb, 28 October 2020 - 03:34 PM.

#4 spereira

spereira

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

Moving to Binoculars.

smp

#5 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:17 AM

I bought the 70mm 45degree specifically for daytime use, no slouch for night time either. The degree of distortion you get depends on the eyepieces you use, but there are lots of good flat widefield options, many people like morpheus. It’s great to have a bright immersive daytime view.

If you rotate the eyepieces together the IF isn’t a big issue, for distant view this isn’t an issue. You’ll probably get odd looks from other birders, but they don’t know what they’re missing ;-)

PEter

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:06 AM

Absolutely, but you will have to get used to upside down and backwards, of course. Scanning side to side will take getting used to, and you may suffer the nauseating "globe effect", not really a big issue.

And views will be BRIGHT.

High power, sharpness and lack of color will make the views extrodinary compared to 'conventional' binoculars, even big ones.

I prefer the 45 over the 90 for night use (and daytime as well, if I dragged them out), but that one really varies by user and, I would think, the mount and tripod/pier used.

Erectors exist, but they often include power multiplying barlow lenses to accomodate the extra light path needed, and also may not reach focus in the limited focus range of the APMs.

An ED bino of any size can give great terrestrial views.  I don't understand these comments about getting used to upside down and backwards or needing erectors.  question.gif

The APMs, like any other true binos, give correct image views that will never be shown brighter than your naked eye shows that same view.  Any globe or other magnification distortion seen is a product of a particular eyepiece's design charcteristics; choose those that you like for the purpose.

Rich

• sonny.barile likes this

#7 drt3d

drt3d

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

I have the 70mm/90 degrees. They work fine for terrestrial viewing and I don't mind that fact that I have to look down instead of straight. I am used to that. Since I am not hand holding them, but using them on a tripod, I take my time pointing them and focusing them.

(And, as Rich said, the image is correct and not reversed in any way).

PS. Some larger format cameras had view finders where you looked down too, instead of straight. These are known as "waist-level viewfinders". There were offered as option for some 35mm cameras too and they were desirable, meaning that people would pay extra money for them!

George

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 markb

markb

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

This is what happens when one doesn't pay attention!

My APMs have been hibernating throughout the prepack, packing, cross-country move, and continue to 'sleep' throughout the post move unpack. At least I know where they are.

Mea culpa for forgetting the prism assembly delivers correct image.

The GPS11 that was already here has been out, and the C5 that just made a Washington to NY to AZ mail trip (the PayPal address change didn't 'take') is awaiting rediscovery of my dovetail box to go out for some observing, but not the APMs yet.

Incidentally, the Alan Gee II Baader teleconverter with Maxbright binoviewer (years waiting for the GPS11 meet up) is STUNNING. First time I truly enjoyed the Moon views, 20mm 82 degree KK Widescans, not normally a target for me.

I last used the APMs on daytime for a very satisfying 'focus snap', high power collimation and lack of CA quick run through ages ago, and they await dark skies. I might grab them for a planetary tryout tonight, they were tuned for max power presale.

A pair of 45 degree WWII 10x80s got me onto the big 45/90 degree kick, and I never looked back. 

Everybody interested in binos should consider an affordable 70mm or 80mm 45 or 90 degree pair, even if they have fixed eyepieces. Even in moderate light pollution they are amazing, and daytime use is amazing too

Edited by markb, 28 October 2020 - 03:31 PM.

#9 Maksim

Maksim

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Russian Federation

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:12 AM

Yes, the 100mm binocular with a 45 degree angle is very convenient for both the earth and the sky.
I now have one, only not 100ED, but 100SD. At foreseeable distances, one can clearly see flying airplanes, birds, celestial bodies, and female bodies. When using even complete APM UFF flat field eyepieces, there is no distortion.

• GamesForOne, sonny.barile and ihf like this

#10 EugeneN

EugeneN

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:15 PM

yes you can with excellent results

I would suggest eyepieces up to 12mm in my option, after that it gets complicated, I personally really enjoy 18mm APM for terrestrial 

#11 markb

markb

Apollo

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:32 AM

Re Eugene's power recommendation  I believe 50x, about 12mm eps, is indeed Markus Lude's recommendation on standard nontuned 100s. Collimation is a factor, but so are cell tolerances as I understand it. Some will do better, many will not.

APM does sell the tool to refine collimation.

APM UFFs were made for these fast f5.5 refractor lenses and are an excellent choice.

Edited by markb, 02 November 2020 - 03:51 PM.

#12 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:09 AM

hey guys i hate to be the **** in the room but here goes anyway, does anybody have any informative info on whether or not i can use these boat anchor of binoculars APM 100-45 ED APO for any kinda of terrestrial viewing or just outer space gazing thanks any info would help

The APM 100 45 ED is very good for terrestrial use.  Eyepiece favorites are Morpheus 17.5, Docter 12.5, and Morpheus 9 pairs.  Higher power is best when air is stable and sun is behind you.

Rick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics