•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Qhy cmos camera advice

astrophotography ccd CMOS equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Celestial awe

Celestial awe

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:48 PM

I am looking to upgrade from dslr to a qhy camera and have been comparing the 183c, 163c, and the 168c. Why are the first two so much cheaper than the 168c? Is there a significant difference I am missing? And what are the significant differences between 183c, and the 163c? Which will give me the most bang for buck.  I am shooting through a 10inch reflector at about 1000mm on an Eq6 pro.

#2 Deesk06

Deesk06

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:33 PM

The 183 sensor has a pixel size of 2.4um(higher resolution) and is a smaller sensor than the 163. The 163 has pixel size of 3.8um(better SNR) in a micro 4/3 package. Right off the bat that is the major difference I can see. Look into the QE, etc of both. Others here will be more knowledgable, however the bigger pixel/sensor size is favored for its light gathering capabilities over the 183.

Edited by Deesk06, 27 October 2020 - 08:59 PM.

• Celestial awe likes this

#3 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Ranger 4

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:12 PM

the 163 is a better fit for your scope. The 183 would oversample while the 163 would be just under the sampling limit. Really ideal for that scope.

• Celestial awe likes this

#4 Celestial awe

Celestial awe

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:34 PM

Thank you very much for your responses. While waiting for some response I did more extensive research on multiple cameras and narrowed it down to the Zwo asi294 and qhy  163mc and am now leaning towards the 163. Looks like they are out of stock everywhere but anymore advice is appreciated.

#5 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:45 AM

the QHY163 has an old sensor, and if you're going for a color sensor, you would want to get the QHY294C - same format sensor, better performance. 

The QHY163 and the ZWO analog, the ASI1600, both have the same Panasonic sensor that is out of production and stocks are winding down. It has been effectively replaced by cameras that are based around the IMX294/IMX492.

• OrionSword likes this

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:55 AM

With respect to the 168C, it's a larger sensor, APS-C format.

One of the best things you can do in comparing sensors is use Astronomy.Tools  (imaging mode) to see what object would look like with the sensors you're comparing.

In addition to sensor size, other things to look for is pixel size (that has to be converted to image scale for *your* telescope(s) to see if you will be properly sampled (around 1"/px), also number of bits (12 vs 14 vs 16), noise level and well depth. There are other considerations such as amount of amp glow, cooling delta, etc. But sensor size, pixel size and bit size are the big ones.

• BobT likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, CMOS, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics