•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium telescope control

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xanadu30

xanadu30

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oshkosh, WI

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:27 PM

Hello everyone, I have been using Stellarium to control my mount (Meade LX85) for a few months now and it was working really well.  Now for some reason Stellarium will not recognize where my scope's position is anymore (and therefore will not slew, etc.).  One day it was working fine, and now nothing.  I've tried re-installing Stellarium, etc. and nothing I try is working.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what I might try next?  Is there a good alternative to Stellarium for scope control?  Thanks!

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:31 PM

If your using a direct connection, possibly a bad cable OR poor connection?

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:33 PM

Meade Autostar Suite will also control your mount, but I think there is more to your problem than "Stellarium stopped working". How do you you have your computer connected to your telescope? Have you damaged the cabling in some way? Did a driver update disable something? Is there an error message?

#4 xanadu30

xanadu30

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:39 PM

Meade Autostar Suite will also control your mount, but I think there is more to your problem than "Stellarium stopped working". How do you you have your computer connected to your telescope? Have you damaged the cabling in some way? Did a driver update disable something? Is there an error message?

The cable is fine, and is only a few months old.  I have the computer connected to the hand controller directly with the cable.  There is no error message, when I "connect" in Stellarium it says "connected" but does not recognize the scope position.  How might a driver update disable something and how would i remedy that?

#5 goldtr8

goldtr8

Mariner 2

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM

That only happens to me before I get the scope star alignment completed.   So workflow is scope on, get star alignment completed and verify slews, then connect Stellarium then it works every time.

Note I use a Celestron AVX with the CPWI software as the ASCOM connection with Stellarium.    

Did you verify you ASCOM connection?

#6 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:55 AM

The cable is fine, and is only a few months old.  I have the computer connected to the hand controller directly with the cable.  There is no error message, when I "connect" in Stellarium it says "connected" but does not recognize the scope position.  How might a driver update disable something and how would i remedy that?

If it really did connect, you don't have an issue with the cable. When you say "the cable", what cable are you using? Do you have a USB to serial cable? That requires a driver. Windows may have updated the driver with an incompatible version.

#7 xanadu30

xanadu30

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

If it really did connect, you don't have an issue with the cable. When you say "the cable", what cable are you using? Do you have a USB to serial cable? That requires a driver. Windows may have updated the driver with an incompatible version.

I am using a Meade 505 Telescope to PC Control Cable CP2102 RS232 RJ10 Serial Adapter Converter Connector Autostar Audiostar Cable, purchased on Amazon.  Like I said, it was working fine for weeks, and now Stellarium doesn't recognize my scope position at all.  I've tried every start up method I can think of between the mount, PC, Stellarium, etc.  Does anyone know of a driver I might need to re-install or something?  I didnt think I needed a special driver the first time I used the cable.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics