•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is this nebula?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:12 AM

Hi All

I was tooling around on Stellarium looking for the odd, unlabeled HII nebulas scattered about in the Cygnus/Cepheus/Cass region. I ran across one in Cygnus and ultimately imaged a bi-lobed nebula. Looks like it has a bow shock on its south end. Almost bipolar jet-looking. Astrometry.net does not have any annotation for it on the solved image. Stellarium and SkySafari are blank. 

The Neb sits right between 44 and V2199 Cyg at RA/Dec (J2000) 20h27m24.2s/+37 21'26.7"

Anyone know what it is?

Unknown Nebula

ASI533mc

15X64s subs stacked in SC, saved as .png

Cropped & Zoomed in MS photoviewer

150mm f/5 Newt on an unguided AVX

L-enhance filter (first light!)

RA/Dec (J2000) 20h27m24.2s/+37 21'26.7"

• roelb, cmooney91, starbuckin and 1 other like this

#2 starblue

starblue

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:28 AM

Sh2-106, labelled in Interstellarum.

• PirateMike likes this

#3 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:28 AM

Looks like Michael Covington imaged it as Sharpless 2-106.

#4 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:41 AM

Thanks to both of you!

Cheers,
J

#5 cmooney91

cmooney91

Messenger

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:12 AM

Nice find!

I also stumbled onto Sh 2-106 while surfing around Cygnus. I thought it was very interesting. Most of the other nearby Sharpless nebula are large, dim and nearly featureless, whereas 2-106 was small, bright, and  detailed.  Hubble images of it are astounding. It has such a unique and structured shape that your well written description had me wondering if it was the same object that I saw, and then your picture confirmed it. 

I use Cartes du Ceil with free add-on catalogs which include Sharpless. Cartes du Ceil is a lot clunkier to use than Stelarium or Sky Safrai, but it has some nice features and you can add extremely deep catalogs, all for free.

Here was my live stack of it with a 8" F4 newt + ASI294 +CC from Bortle 5

SH 2-106 Stack 8s x 27frames = 216s

gallery_280529_12251_151263.jpg

With these dim Ha neb I find it helps to be conservative with the black point histogram slider, keeping it on the left side of the peak, to preserve some of the background sky brightness. The nebula is so faint that trying to clip the sky background to be pure black also clips some of the fainter details from the nebula.

Edited by cmooney91, 28 October 2020 - 08:14 AM.

• Rickster, roelb, GaryShaw and 1 other like this

#6 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts and Wyoming

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

You can read a bit about it in December S&T in the article “Follow the Carbon”

• cmooney91 likes this

#7 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, some of these small H-II emission nebulae show up very well in H-alpha. Sh2-106 is one of the brighter ones in H-alpha.

#8 chilldaddy

chilldaddy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Norman, OK

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:20 PM

Jay,

Be sure to edit the DSO tab in the viewing options window and turn on the SH-2 catalog, or any others of interest.  When you find an unnamed object, try clicking through multiple catalogs until a designation appears.

You can then go to the configuration window menu and save those settings for next time if you want.

Greg

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 3.15.10 PM.jpg

• cmooney91 likes this

#9 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

Hi Greg

The SH 2 box was originally checked; several other SH-2 catalog nebulae were annotated in the sky map, but not this one and several others. Checking the other boxes also do not resolve. Now we are sliding off topic into the software forum....May be some hidden setting or corrupted object catalog in Stellarium. The mystery! 

Another issue I've seen is my uploaded gallery images tending to turn out way darker than the orginal .png. An artificial black level clipping, eh?

I was using the L-eNhance filter with the image. Still fiddling with the optimal SC histo & color sliders and general exposure/gain. I've been finding the black level is getting clipped on the left side of the livestack histo even when not adjusting the black level slider. What's scary is the Brain is recommending a 4 minutes exposure at unity gain with the filter. Getting into AP territory, now! Yikes! lol.gif

Cheers, all

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics