•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A stab at M31 under bortle 8 skies (new processing)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LooseFur1

LooseFur1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

Hi all, I hope you are well!
I've been trialling Pix Insight for the last few days - having never used it before. There's a learning curve alright but I think I am getting there. I followed some of the great tutorials at lightvortexastronomy.com along with some other bits of information I could find. 

I am quite happy with the new image I have processed, the calibration/stacking/integration/processing process in PI is very 'hands on' and manual and I quite like that. The workflow would take some getting used to though.

For newcomers to the hobby (like myself) I think it's a good way to get further into the hobby, DSS is great but I found that the 3 or 4 images I created using it were not really meeting my expectations in terms of noise, signal (I couldn't extract as much as I was expecting) and I think PI has handled my flats a bit better too. It's good to see how the images are calibrated from start -> finish. The arcsinh stretch was what I was most impressed with, to be honest. I had been trying to do this using curves in PS but I just could not get it right. Possibly my lack of skill.

I spent a _long_ time on this (lol), so please be kind but I'd be keen to hear feedback of course. I know there are definitely things that I could do better.

This is a reprocessing of the image here (https://www.cloudyni...1#entry10603466). This one was done in PI almost exclusively whereas my previous post was created using DSS and PhotoShop. 

This is about 2 hours integration - 30 secs, ISO-800 - Canon 6D (modded) and Askar acl 200. About 700 Bias, 140 flats, 30 darks, 300 light frames (though I had to throw about 20 out due to high altitude cloud).

Attached Thumbnails

• m31.PNG

Edited by LooseFur1, 28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM.

• TXLS99 and ponybird like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

nice , thanks .

• LooseFur1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics