•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

skywatcher 10" f/4.7 collapsible goto vs orion xt10g?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: cape coral florida

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:11 AM

whats the difference between these two dobs besides the obvious physical designs and the near $300 price difference? (skywatcher being less expensive)

im also looking to find user reviews on both scopes. is it accurate? reliable? easy to transport? user friendly? any and all info are welcome. I'm moving up from an orion xt8 plus. im mainly looking to view the moon and planets using my sv305 camera but will also dabble in deep space objects.  thanks in advance. 

chris

Attached Thumbnails

• sky_watcher_s11810_10_goto_collapsible_dobsonian_1589537255_1141687.jpg
  • orion 10g.jpg

#2 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Messenger

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:24 AM

Are you upsizing for the additional size or for the goto feature?

I'd suggest you go ahead and bump up to a 12".  If you're going from 8" to 10" aperture, there's just not enough difference to justify the expense, IMO.   Of course there will be somebody that disagrees, but most would agree it's just not enough difference to bother.  UNLESS, you're selling the 8" first, and won't have a scope, which is unbearable,  then I guess a 10" would be suitable but again, why?

EDIT:  I meant to add, my Orion XT10 holds collimation VERY WELL.  Now, I check it every time out, just in case, but I've gone a month before without having to turn a screw.  The SW version looks a little too simple.  I'd rather see trusses instead of just sliding the cage, secondary and focuser up and down on 3 poles.  But that's just me. wink.gif   J

Edited by jmillsbss, 28 October 2020 - 08:33 AM.

• MellonLake, LIVE LONG and humma kavula like this

#3 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

As jmillsbss says...the difference between an 8" and a 10" is negligible - especially for the Moon and planets.

What is it about the 8" you have now that you don't like?

Just choosing between those two scope though, I would go with the solid tube (if it fits in your vehicle) and I'd take a dual-speed focuser over an optical finder.  Motors and tracking are going to be the same for both.

• humma kavula likes this

#4 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

mainly for the goto (tracking) but i was hoping to see a noticeable difference moving up from an 8 inch. i would love a bigger aperture but then weight and price becomes an issue. 

in this case if there really isnt much a noticeable difference in optical performance then maybe i should stick to an 8 inch? am i going to see more detail of the lunar surface using a 12 inch vs an 8?

#5 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

As jmillsbss says...the difference between an 8" and a 10" is negligible - especially for the Moon and planets.

What is it about the 8" you have now that you don't like?

Just choosing between those two scope though, I would go with the solid tube (if it fits in your vehicle) and I'd take a dual-speed focuser over an optical finder.  Motors and tracking are going to be the same for both.

well, its not that i dont like the 8 inch i absolutely love it. but tracking to me is important and eq platforms are expensive and i do not have the know how on how to build one. i prefer to sell my 8 inch and fund some really nice barlows and ep's.

#6 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

I started with an XT8P and loved it. Easy to move, store and great views. My friend bought the 10i. Views were brighter and more immersive. Keep your xt8p, find a used C-5/6 and avx for some simple ap. 

#7 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:24 AM

mainly for the goto (tracking) but i was hoping to see a noticeable difference moving up from an 8 inch. i would love a bigger aperture but then weight and price becomes an issue. 

in this case if there really isnt much a noticeable difference in optical performance then maybe i should stick to an 8 inch? am i going to see more detail of the lunar surface using a 12 inch vs an 8?

The Orion is probably the better telescope - especially for higher contrast and better collimation - but it's still not the best telescope for the planets and Luna.  These telescopes are optimized more for viewing DSO's and going up to a 12" for the Moon is a bit overkill.  I see a good bit more detail in my 10" F6 Dob on planets (Mars for example) over the 102mm refractor, but I wonder how much more to be worth the difference.  If your willing to lay out $1600 for a new telescope optimized for planets and some camera work, I don't think I'd go the Dob route.  Refractors are sweet, but maybe the SCT would work too.  You should be able to find something in your price range that will work better than the Dob.

#8 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:24 AM

that sounds like a very possible idea but i want one ring to rule them all. grin.gif

#9 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:29 AM

that sounds like a very possible idea but i want one ring to rule them all. grin.gif

That will never happen.  Most experienced people here have multiple telescopes.  Partly because they are crazy (as am I), but mostly because one telescope cannot do it all...

#10 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:30 AM

i used to own a celestron 6se and 8se. the 8se was super fun and easy to work with. im on the fence on the 8se again (had to sell to pay bills thanks to covid of course) but now im back on track and looking to get into the hobby for mainly lunar and planets with the occasional dso's. here are clips using my 8se with jupiter and saturn. not very impressive but ok for first try. 

jupiter

https://www.youtube....ETu98e7zY&t=41s

saturn

https://www.youtube....KwrP82M6Q&t=23s

#11 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Messenger

• Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 03:12 PM

One drawback to buying "planetary only", IMO, is the frequency, or lack thereof, where the planets are well placed and bright enough to enjoy.  Seeing has to be excellent to better serve up really nice views.  A pricey scope can't always overcome bad conditions.  That's why many of us have multiple scopes of varying designs.  There's not a "one scope does everything well."  Keep your 8" dob.  Watch the boards for a used Evo mount and a late-model C8.  You'll be satisfied so much more.  Good luck!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics