•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution mount - c6/asi533/night owl clearance?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adamsdp

adamsdp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:01 PM

Does anyone know if I get a c6 and use a cooled asi533/night owl, will there be enough clearance with the evolution mount base?  I am thinking the c6 is light and can be slid as far forward in the dovetail saddle as possible with the asi533 on the eyepiece side.   Thanks.

#2 michael legary

michael legary

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

Yes, the clearance will be fine. The Evo mount is quite tall, and the C6 with the NOwl wont be that gnarly a setup to worry about clearance and should have full 180 degree clearance.

• adamsdp likes this

#3 adamsdp

adamsdp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply and good to know the vote of confidence that there will be enough clearance.  I tried to estimate by looking up the dimensions of the night owl and asi533.  I came up with the following - 

asi533 body -73mm

asi533 nosepiece - 11mm

asi533 backspace spacer - 21 mm

night owl - 1.8" - 46mm

total = 151 mm or 5.94 inches

With the evolution mount pointed directly upwards, I measured 9" from the end of the dovetail saddle to the evolution mount base.  On my c8, it is about 3" from the end of the dovetail to where the visual back screws on to the telescope.  So if I mount the telescope with the end of the eyepiece side of the dovetail lined up with the end of the dovetail saddle, there is 9" to work with and 5.94" + 3" = 8.94".  The one thing I don't know is how far if any the front of the night owl can be pushed inside the telescope eyepiece tube.   If it can go inside a bit, that will make it so the clearance isn't so tight.  I am guessing the c6 with asi533/night owl will be balanced close enough mounted this way.

Edited by adamsdp, 29 October 2020 - 09:25 AM.

#4 michael legary

michael legary

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the reply and good to know the vote of confidence that there will be enough clearance.  I tried to estimate by looking up the dimensions of the night owl and asi533.  I came up with the following - 

asi533 body -73mm

asi533 nosepiece - 11mm

asi533 backspace spacer - 21 mm

night owl - 1.8" - 46mm

total = 151 mm or 5.94 inches

With the evolution mount pointed directly upwards, I measured 9" from the end of the dovetail saddle to the evolution mount base.  On my c8, it is about 3" from the end of the dovetail to where the visual back screws on to the telescope.  So if I mount the telescope with the end of the eyepiece side of the dovetail lined up with the end of the dovetail saddle, there is 9" to work with and 5.94" + 3" = 8.94".  The one thing I don't know is how far if any the front of the night owl can be pushed inside the telescope eyepiece tube.   If it can go inside a bit, that will make it so the clearance isn't so tight.  I am guessing the c6 with asi533/night owl will be balanced close enough mounted this way.

Then again you have the dovetail for balance.

#5 michael legary

michael legary

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

And the eyepiece diagonal is removable on SCTS

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics