•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet NEAT (C/2001 Q4) positions thru 5/17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:09 AM

I saw NEAT Dennis (as well as other objects)! Finally a break from the clouds! Like Barry said, around May 15th NEAT should be very close to M44 so it will get even better for binocular users and photographers.

#27 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:38 AM

That's great NW! :waytogo: It pops into view nicely without those darn clouds. Skies did clear up nicely. I got home at 11:15 and just had to pull out the Obers and my observing chair. Spent 45 minutes surfin around. Was able to see M81, 82 and just barely got M57 (target chosen from Jeff's post). Could have stayed out for hours. I'll be out tonight as the CSC shows the best conditions I've seen and the jet stream is well to the north. :jump:

#28 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:08 AM

Exactly. Another observation to note is Mars. It's about 1 degree north of M35 in Gemini...at least it was last night. I'm sure it will look equally great tonight. My "problem" is trees. The back (which faces NNE) of the house I rent is closely lined with trees. As much as I love them, they're gettin' way! :bangbangbang:

#29 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:00 PM

I caught NEAT last night through my 15x70s. Went out to the country where the skies were darker. Sky was clear. It was a naked eye object for me...similar in appearance to M44...in fact, when I first saw it, I thought it WAS M44. Then, I threw up my binos...what a site.

Incidentally, the naked eye view was very impressive, too. Seeing both M44 and NEAT as smudges in the same region of the sky was quite exciting. I can't wait until these two get even closer. Photo-op.

I viewed NEAT through my 80mm scope, too, but it was MUCH better in the binos. Wider FOV framed it nicely, and I could see more of the tail in my binos, too. Don't know if this was because of the brighter exit pupil in my binos or what. Anyway, it was really really nice. I won't forget it.

cheers,
jeff

#30 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:07 PM

Then, I threw up my binos...

Posted Image :roflmao: Sorry, Jeff. I couldn't resist!

#31 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

#32 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:46 PM

yes...you got it right, Bill! that's exactly how it happened. I keep them in my stomach, so they're with me at all times. Very grab n go. The problem is when I need to get them out the other end.

#33 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:53 PM

that gives "fully multi-coated" a whole new meaning.... :funny:

#34 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:46 PM

:lol:
yes, very non-reflective FMC. you can tell the quality is high from the purple-green color. you can't see yourself at all it.

#35 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:44 PM

I found NEAT tonight about 8:40 EDT. There was a 10 minute period from light to dark when I couldn't even see the stars in M44, then things started to come into view.

I had three binocs out and got about a half hour before clouds rolled in. Now it's skimming the tree-tops, so I'm in here rather than out there.

In Fujinon 16x70s, NEAT was in the same fov as M44, just about 3° below it.

In Celestron 25x100s, the field was to narrow to capture both at once, but NEAT looked better.

In Oberwerk 22x100, it was just out of the fov with M44, and it looked about the same as in the 25x.

There was a distinct core with a fairly large halo, maybe 20? arcmin. It appeared to me there was a slight stubby fan pointing out to the left/upper left. That would be south/south east.

I only had about 10-15 minutes of good observing. The 22x and 25x gave a much better view than the 16x because the magnification allowed seeing distinction between the core and the halo. At 25x, even the core had size to it.

Looked pretty cool.

edz

#36 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

Last night I started looking an hour after sunset and found it about 3* below M44. The seeing was very good and could almost make out the fuzzy blob without aid. In my 15x70s I could not see both M44 and the comet in the same FOV. However, after my eyes became adjusted (Iobserved for about an hour) I could make out more detail in the tail, which appeared to me to vary in brightness.

#37 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:48 AM

If I am not mistaken, tonight (saturday) should offer a better opportunity to see M44 and NEAT in the FOV of most binoculars. The angular separation will be close to 1 degree.

#38 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:42 AM

I SO wanna see NEAT & M44 together! But the clouds/rain just won't go away. :bawling: :bawling:

#39 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 May 2004 - 12:45 PM

get in your car, Bill!
clear skies forecast for me tonight :bigshock: :woot: :praying:

#40 777Guy

777Guy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:55 PM

Night watch,
Last night (Friday) the comet and M44 were very close and could see both quite well in my FOV the view was hampered only by very thin high clouds but could still see a slight tail like the night before. I am using the Burgess 15x70 on a mount.

#41 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:56 PM

That's awesome Jim. I hope tonight is even better for you. Unfortuately due to other obligations I was unable to view NEAT last night and tonight, the atmosphere around here is incredibly steamy with pop-up storms forcasted. :mad:

#42 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:00 PM

clear skies forecast for me tonight :bigshock: :woot: :praying:

Rub it in, why don't you? :grin: :grin: Go enjoy that comet! Still raining here....... :bawling:

#43 jmoore

jmoore

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:08 AM

well...the weathermen lied. Last night was completely cloudy, so no NEAT-in-M44 for me. :cloudy: :bawling:

I should get a second chance tonight...forecast is for clear skies again (but we'll see). Won't *quite* be the same...the comet and M44 will be a little farther apart...but I'll take what I can get.

#44 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:14 AM

Today I actually see sunlight on the ground, but the sky is still overcast through the window next to my computer. :(

#45 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 May 2004 - 02:06 PM

I was able to see Q4 just outside of M44 last night in my Oberwerk 12x60s on my tripod. FANTASTIC! The tail was very pronounced (relative to previous viewings at least), and it was naked-averted-eye in my relatively dark skies outside of the city. Having Q4 and M44 in the same FOV was simply beautiful.

Clear skies to all!

#46 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 May 2004 - 02:12 PM

Well I am glad that someone can enjoy NEAT with M44.

#47 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

I went out last night, and thought I had Praesepe in view, but there was a fuzzy blob nearby which confused me. Doh! It was the **** comet and I had plain forgot. Anyway, neither Praesepe nor the comet were visible to the naked eye - crappy skies. But through a Nikon 8x32 SE binocular the comet was an obvious fuzzy blob. Same through a Leica APO 77 + 32xw. No sign of a tail though. Well worth seeing, especially near the Beehive, but not spectacular.

#48 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:59 PM

Local Time is now 23.53pm Sunday 16th May.

Tried without success to find the comet from North Wales location last night.

Back in Lancashire tonight.

I've just spent an hour out there locating and looking at the comet.

No sign of it or M44 naked eye , but not completely dark here at this time of year at 11pm.

Using Swift 10 x 50s hand -held ,I found M44 first and then almost precisely 4 degrees NW of M44 , located a fuzzy blob.

Transferred over to 15 x 70 Helios on tripod and mount and still a fuzzy blob , and moving faster through the field of view that I'd anticipated.

Set up my 102mm scope and tried various magnifications , but still a fuzzy blob.

Nice to have actually seen it , but this was by far the most "disappointing" comet I've seen.

Great night for viewing other things , insomuch as still above 60 degrees F approaching midnight and hardly a cloud in the sky.

Also tracked a west - east satellite fully illuminated throughout it's transit through the 15 x 70s.

My main conclusion from this little session is how much better a simple Alt -Az Manfrotto 501 head is to negotiate than a EQ scope mount :-)

Must go -- a TV documentary featuring one of my all -time favourite singer -songwriter Ray Davies from the Kinks has started !

Clear skies and happy comet -viewing to all -- Kenny.

#49 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:45 PM

Cloud cover rolled in just before sunset after a very warm day. Hit 90*! I peeked out 1/2 hour later to see clouds breaking up to the SW. Venus and Jupiter barely visible. Scanned with bino's on pod but it was too early. Left my set-up and came out 15 minutes later. Total overcast. Mother nature can be such a tease.

#50 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:32 AM

Kenny wrote:
[...]
>No sign of it or M44 naked eye , but not completely dark here at this time of year at 11pm.

Indeed not; we can say farewell to fully dark skies until late July... :(

I had my first view of it at 21:35 BST, and suspected the tail (Miyauchi 37x100). Came out again
an hour later and the tail was obvious, at least a degree was clearly present and I had the
impression of more (but could not see this "impression" with the coma outside the FoV).

This was also my first opportunity to use the UA T-mount. Love it! The only major drawback in use
is the one common to all altaz mounts: the zenith hole.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics