•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguiding: ASI120MM-S and PHD2

beginner astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elginroad87

elginroad87

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

I am very new to ASI cameras, and astrophotography, in general. I recently purchased a ZWO ASI120MM-S camera with a ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope. I was hoping to auto-guide my mount (Star Adventurer) with PHD2; however, when I connect the guide camera to PHD2 I find the images to be extremely grainy with a weird dark circle on the top right (see the attached photo). I tried turning the black front end of the guide scope in both directions, assuming it was a focus problem but was unsuccessful (with my current focus settings, I am able to see the stars in Sharpcap).  Also, I see that there are two long screws on the guide-scope - I am not sure what those screws are for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 celegroz

celegroz

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Edmond, OK

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:52 PM

The long screws on the guide scope are to simply hold the scope firmly in the mounting ring. Not trying to insult your intelligence with this question, but when you say you can see stars in Sharpcap, do you mean you've configured Sharpcap to use your guidescope rather than your usual imaging camera? You don't say what that is. Are you sure you're looking at an image from the guide scope in Sharpcap and not from your imaging camera?

The image you're describing in PHD2 using the guide scope sure sounds like a basic focus issue. I have this same scope but have the ASI120mm mini camera and was surprised how much back focus the camera needed to produce a sharp image. I believe I had to use all but one (the smallest) of the supplied 1.25" spacers. 

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:29 PM

Hi,

I am very new to ASI cameras, and astrophotography, in general. I recently purchased a ZWO ASI120MM-S camera with a ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope. I was hoping to auto-guide my mount (Star Adventurer) with PHD2; however, when I connect the guide camera to PHD2 I find the images to be extremely grainy with a weird dark circle on the top right (see the attached photo). I tried turning the black front end of the guide scope in both directions, assuming it was a focus problem but was unsuccessful (with my current focus settings, I am able to see the stars in Sharpcap).  Also, I see that there are two long screws on the guide-scope - I am not sure what those screws are for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If you can see the stars in Sharpcap (with the ASI120MM selected) you should see the exact same thing in PhD2. The only thing that would prevent this is the gamma slider. Just move this *slowly* until the image clears. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics