•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AVX mount DEC axis issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skosik

Skosik

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:56 PM

My fellow star gazers / imagers,

With the clutch secured and power off I noticed my AVX mount DEC drive has a slight play to it. My question is that is this normal for this mount ?

Or is there a possible issue with alignment in the worm gear assembly? I disassembled the unit to check for any abnormal wear and found no issues 

When I later powered the DEC axis it seems to run smooth and consistent

Appreciate your help with this

#2 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

It's called backlash.  Most worm gear drives have it to some degree or another. But if it runs smooth and consistent as you say it's nothing to worry about.

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:02 AM

Absolutely normal.  The first thing to consider though is whether or not this is causing you any trouble at this point.  If it isn't, then don't try to fix it.

The motion can result from two things.  If the mount has never been disassembled, then it results from the space between the worm and ring gear, i.e., backlash.  It may be possible to adjust the spacing in order to minimize it, but it's likely that you will never eliminate it with a static-mounted worm system like this.  If the mount has been disassembled, including the worm assemblies, then the movement may be caused by backlash or it may be the result of endplay in the worm.  Endplay occurs when insufficient preload has been applied to the worm bearings so that the worm can side back and forth in the housing.  This looks just like backlash but cannot be adjusted out in the same way.  However, from the factory, too much preload is always applied such that endplay is never an issue.

The only time this type of movement is going to be a problem may be when guiding since the gears will take much longer to respond to direction changes.  If you are not imaging and guiding, don't worry about it.  If you are, then the first thing to try will be the backlash compensation adjustment available through the hand controller.  If that doesn't work, then you have to start looking at making physical adjustments.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics