•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Threadlock on astro threads?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryanha

ryanha

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

Thats a lot of gear hanging off the back of the scope. Plus with the scope moving and the off-center nature of the load (e.g. the filter wheel) there is a chance that a loosely threaded item could become looser.

Probably not likely it will fall off, but might ruin my framing (actually just happened now as I was doing my balance test, the filter wheel unscrewed a 1/4 turn on its own) .

Generally (in life) things that are screwed together either have split washers, friction washers, or threadlock to keep them from coming apart.

Should I just be more aggressive with my "hand tightening" or is there a better way to solve this?

Thanks,

--Ryan

Attached Thumbnails

• camrea.jpg

#2 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

you can probably use the purple threadlock.  It is relatively easy to take apart with hand tools.

#3 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:47 PM

I've used Loctite on telescope Finder Scope screws, to keep them from loosening all the time.  You can get Loctite at your local Auto Parts store and most hardware stores.  The purple Loctite 222 can be removed with hand tools.  waytogo.gif

Edited by DLuders, 28 October 2020 - 06:48 PM.

#4 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:55 PM

I’ve been using blue Loctite on my equipment for decades now. I think that the new purple Loctite is certainly the safest way for most amateurs to keep things together. Just remember that what ever you use, use it sparingly.

Stan
  • havasman likes this

#5 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:21 PM

I haven't had the problem.

But then, my hands are certified torque wrenches.

I tend to check things often enough to not have a problem.

#6 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

I have one spacer that just never seemed to stay on.  A splash of purple loctite solved that issue.

I prefer not to use it, but I have no qualms about using when if proves necessary,

J.

• RTLR 12 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics