•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Steiner 7x50 Night Hunter binoculars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:53 PM

I am very new to binoculars. I have the 7x50 night hunters that I bought in the 1990s. Are they considered decent in terms of optical quality?

I don’t think they are made any more. Not sure why.

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:53 PM

I am not familiar with the brand. But I use 7x50mm Redfield binocs and I enjoy using them. They also are not available to buy new. I guess there is not much of a market for this combination of magnification and aperture.

#3 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:21 PM

Steiner have a pretty good reputation. The Nighthunter series seems to be their mid-range with nice sharp optics, and they still sell Nighthunter 8x30 (although I don't understand why these are called "Nighthunter" as their exit pupil is too small) and 8x56 binos. I suspect their Commander 7x50 has replaced the Nighthunter 7x50's: they have a slightly wider fov. 

An easy way to test their quality is to aim them at the moon, and see how it looks in terms of contrast and sharpness. Good binos will be sharp in the centre of the field, showing good contrast and not much if any CA, and the field should not be too washed out with no ghost images. Very few binos will be sharp to the edge, but if the central 2/3 or so of the field is sharp then it indicates they are good quality.

7x50 was (and still is by some) the recommended bino of choice for hand-held astronomy binos because of the 7mm exit pupil (allowing the most light possible into your eyes: hence the "Nighhunter" designation), and they are relatively easy to hold steady compared to those with higher magnification.

Edited by DeanD, 29 October 2020 - 06:45 AM.

#4 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:28 PM

I am very new to binoculars. I have the 7x50 night hunters that I bought in the 1990s. Are they considered decent in terms of optical quality?

I don’t think they are made any more. Not sure why.

I could not find much on them. Is it these here?

https://www.allbinos...ifications.html

It looks like they are of Porro design, have good eye relief. Field of view is normal, nothing special. It looks like they were expensive? I assume they were made in Germany and are multi-coated? If there is nothing wrong with them they are decent. Hard to upgrade if you are interested in a 7x50, which is a good size for seeing things at night.

What is your goal? Do you want to sell them or find a different pair to complement? I am not sure they will fetch much on the used market, simply because they are not well known. If looking for another pair for the night sky, take a look at Action Extreme or APM MS ED lines for 10x50 or 12x50.

#5 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:52 AM

Thanks. Not trying to sell them. I just wanted more info. I took them out last night with my Canon 10x42 IS binos to look at the moon.

Wow. Nice.

#6 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:13 AM

The full moon is a good test to see if there is glare or ghosting. But it is best to use 7x50 in a moonless night, or to observe animals after sunset.

Steiner binoculars can be a bit over the place. But I got the impression yours is a higher end porro, which should still be good.

https://www.cloudyni...ner/?p=10171990

The more modern 8x56 Nighthunter/Shadowquest has a very good reputation due to wide AFOV and high transmission. Yours is not as wide though.

https://www.cloudyni...ly-impressions/

• DeanD and j.gardavsky like this

#7 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:27 AM

The full moon is a good test to see if there is glare or ghosting. But it is best to use 7x50 in a moonless night, or to observe animals after sunset.

I agree: but it is full at the moment... ;)

• ihf likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics