•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharpstar 94mm f/5.5 ED Triplet Apo - First Impressions

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 2112_Mike

2112_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kuna Idaho

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

Perhaps, just making a point.  The glass question always seems to be a question asked about a new scope but in this case I can't find anything online and this thread does not seem to have any info.  

Asking because I am interested in the AT92:  "It is a triplet with a center element of FCD100 (ED), one mating element of LAL14 (Lanthanum), and then a third element."

The Sharpstar 94mm looks like a similar scope with similar aperture and F/L.

Edited by 2112_Mike, 28 February 2021 - 01:14 PM.

#52 bpollet

bpollet

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:33 AM

Hello Everyone.

Does anyone knows how Many 2" filters fit inside the dedicated reducer ?

I use a Uv/ir cut + an UHC filter ?

I plan to purchase the TS version of this scope...

Clear skies!

Bertrand

#53 turings.enigma

turings.enigma

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 March 2021 - 08:00 PM

StarAlert,

Thanks for the pictures. The muppet-like nebula you refer to is most likely SH2-159

This picture should help.

bubble-region.jpg

Russell K.

genesisobservatory.org

Toledo, OH, USA

Hi Russell, according to official website, both reducers work for Sharpstar 94, the first one is more expensive, do you think it is worth the extra cost.

Sharpstar 94EDPH 0.8x Reducer and Flattener

Sharpstar 76EDPH 0.8x Reducer and Flattener

#54 StarMore

StarMore

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 March 2021 - 05:54 PM

I received my Sharpstar 94 EDPH from Camera Concepts yesterday. Out of the box it looked great. The only problem I had was with the focuser. Turning the course focuser knob was absolutely horrible. I couldn’t believe the QC sheet that came with the scope had the box checked for  “smooth focuser”. The fine focus was good, though.

So I disassembled the entire focuser and pinion to try and figure out what the issue was. It turned out to be the two set screws that hold the pinion in the focuser were too tight causing a very “clunky” rotation for just the course adjustment. After loosening them up just a bit, the focuser now works great.

After I fixed the focuser, I had a chance to take a look through the scope later last night. I concur with Russell. Stars are pin point and I couldn’t see any color at all... even on Sirius! This is my first “fast” APO (I own an f8 and f9 Tak and an f8 TEC), and the Sharpstar’s field curvature outside about the middle 20% is very obvious to me. Now, I know why these scopes aren’t recommended for visual. In the center, though the views were superb! I split Almach and Castor with perfect, beautiful airy discs. 

I can’t wait to see how it performs with the Apex 0.65x flattener/reducer. 

Hi - I have the same issue with the clunky rotation of the coarse focus adjustment.  Is it necessary to disassemble the focuser to remedy this? Which screws need adjusting to loosen it up?  Many thanks for any advice.  Other than this I'm finding its great for imaging.

#55 StarAlert

StarAlert

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:04 PM

Hi - I have the same issue with the clunky rotation of the coarse focus adjustment.  Is it necessary to disassemble the focuser to remedy this? Which screws need adjusting to loosen it up?  Many thanks for any advice.  Other than this I'm finding its great for imaging.

No, you don't have to disassemble the focuser to fix the problem. Just loosen up the two screws that hold the pinion to the focuser. I believe you need to remove a cap to access the screws, though. 

• Live_Steam_Mad and StarMore like this

#56 PaulyPulsar

PaulyPulsar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: N. Nevada

Posted 17 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

Just purchased the new Sharpstar 94mm f/5.5 ED Triplet Apo and thought I would share my first impressions.  As far as build quality everything seems good. I would probably give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars overall.   I can't yet comment on the visual or photographic quality since I am waiting for the clouds to clear.  I will post my observation impressions as soon as I have them.  I was not able to find any other reviews or reviews of the scope out there yet, so I thought I would start a thread and see if anyone else who has this scope would like to share their impressions as well.  Or if you are considering purchasing this scope, feel free to ask questions.  I've created a quick unboxing video here: https://youtu.be/44rVp85VXBA

I will be using this visually as well as with the following cameras.  ASI 294MC Pro, ASI 2600 MC Pro, Sony a7iii DSLR.  

sharpstar_94.jpg

OTA Specifications:

Aperture: 94mm
Limiting star magnitude: 11.62
Focus ratio: f/5.5
Resolution: 1.28 angular seconds
Objective type: Triplet air-spaced APO (two extra-low dispersion ED glass)
Total length of the tube: 450mm (collapsed), 575mm (extended)
Focuser travel: 58mm
Dewshield outside diameter: 118mm
Tube outside diamter: 104mm
Accessories: Tube Rings, Dovetail Plate, Handle
Weight: 4.2kg (9.4lbs)

Russell K.

genesisobservatory.org

Toledo, OH, USA

Hi I have been looking to get my first refractor and i am looking at this scope and the William Optics alternative. Have you been able to find out what type of glass their using by chance? Im torn between Williams Optics and the Sharpstar. I have been using a Newtonian reflector with a dslr and it is not made for AP, I have got some allright images but its time for me to get a nice refractor. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

#57 LittleEd

LittleEd

Sputnik

• Loc: Aurora, CO

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

Sharpstar most emphatically does not say what the glass type is. I'd recommend reading the blurb on this telescope at Agena.

Having said that, the important thing (to me, at least) is whether the images produced are well corrected. And the images shown in this thread (and in others) show a clear lack of chromatic aberration. If having some specific type of glass in the lens is really important to you, then you'll want some other telescope.

Best of luck to you, however you choose!

#58 StarMore

StarMore

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:14 AM

I've had the Sharpstar 94EDPH for around 6 weeks and testing has been limited due to weather.  On the plus side I have managed images that show a really good step up from the Evostar ED80 that I used previously.  On the downside, and I'm interested to hear if any other early adopters are finding this, when using the 2.5" flattener that is often advertised with this scope (not the reducer/flattener) I haven't been able to find a way to achieve the back spacing required and be able to focus.  The focuser ends up fully closed and still out of of focus.  Reducing the back spacing allows for focus to be achieved but then you have distorted stars around the periphery of the image. If anyone else uses the flattener would be grateful to hear of experiences.  Also if anyone has issues with the focusing of this scope would be interested to know.  I'm finding it is a very small margin between in focus and out of focus.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics