•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

should i switch from astrodon I-series to E-series RGB filters. QSI6120

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:00 PM

so when i originally bought my QSI 6120 i saw that it was an interline chip so i went with the I-series.

Someone from QSI later told me he thinks the E-series would be better for it, and asked me who suggested the I-series. 

One thing i know is i really struggle to get the reds in the cores of my galaxies. i know the difference between the two is something about being more sensitive to reds. actually ive heard the only difference is the red filter but i dont remember.

I am going to start adding Ha to my galaxies, hopefully this will help too, but i would like to hear from any experts out there what they think.

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:15 PM

Adam,

I think you are better off with the iSeries Filters if you are concerned about gathering more light in the red channel.

The difference between the iSeries and the eSeries is the width of the gap between the green and red filters. Both the green and the red filters are different between the two sets. Here is the rough size of the difference / gap:

• iSeries: Green ends ~575 nM, Red starts ~595 nM.  Gap is ~575 - ~595 nM
  • eSeries: Green ends ~560 nM, Red starts ~620 nM.  Gap is ~560 - ~620 nM

Given that, the iSeries is actually more sensitive to red than is the eSeries. If red is your concern, I would say you should stick with the iSeries filter set.

John

Edited by jdupton, 29 October 2020 - 09:35 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics