Need help in improving my guiding and making sense of some results, but first things first, my equipment:
- iOptron Cem70
- Orion 8" f/3.9 astrograph (focal length: 800mm)
- ZWO OAG with SSAG pro mono (so guiding image scale: 0.97"/px)
- PHD2 & APT
I see a few issues in the phd guide log that dont make sense or need help in improving:
- Guiding assistant rms = 0.5, but actual rms immediately after/before is much much worse at 2.89" (attached guide log)
Tried guiding assistant twice, at the beginning and at the end and got similar result. Am I misinterpreting something?
- Backlash is enormous at >4000ms both times with guiding assistant
I did not do any "east/west heavy" unbalancing, but balanced as best as possible, maybe this is a consequence of that? This is the screenshot I took after guiding assistant
- Dither settle kept failing to settle
My settings in APT are dithering stability: 1.4, Dithering settle time: 20, Dithering timeout: 60, Dithering start delay: 0. I guess my "stability" was too low for my terrible guiding rms? Is there a rule of thumb for this, like should this have been 3.0 since my rms was 2.89"?
- Any other patterns you see in the guide log that might suggest some improvement?
I see some elongation in the scatter plot so I guess it could result in stars being more oval