•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dovetail plate mounting screws. What are the common sizes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:52 AM

Greetings fellow imagers,

I looking to buy dovetail plate screws for mounting the ASIAir Pro on my scope's dovetail plate (William Optics Z61 MK2).

The screws that came with the AAP are too short. I found these on amazon which seems suitable for APP's central screw hole.

My question: where do most of you buy additional screws? And what are the most common screw types and sizes?

From the equipments I own, it looks like M6 socket head cap screw with 1mm pitch is pretty common. Is it correct?

Thanks!

- Jason

Attached Thumbnails

• 61QRY6eO1HL._AC_SL1010_.jpg

Edited by HoloTheWolf, 29 October 2020 - 12:58 AM.

#2 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:21 AM

1/4-20 and M6 seem most common for vixen style dovetails, at least for me. Diameters are very close but threads are quite different.

Incidentally, my vixen style mount bolts run to M12 or 3/8-16, also close 'misses' and not interchangable.

I usually buy assortments on Amazon, both length assortments and diameter/pitch assortments. Both help avoid having 'not quite what I need'.

Lowes and Home Depot are almost always wasted trips, but my local True Value store in NW Phoenix has a huge selection, finally letting me shop local.

One thing that complicates my searches is that I avoid regular machine screw allen heads as in your drawing. I usually get button head machine screws.

While harder to source, they give me a low profile that fits more equipment, as well as being far more attractive in exposed applications.

This is probably another personal preference option, like many in the hobby.

• HoloTheWolf likes this

#3 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

I usually just take the screw that's too short to the local hardware store and get a longer one, match the thread & diameter. 

• Mike McShan and HoloTheWolf like this

#4 Chuck2

Chuck2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:35 PM

Stellarvue sells 1/4-20 and 6mm stainless socket heads in various lengths, .50 each...

https://www.stellarvue.com/hardware/

• HoloTheWolf likes this

#5 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:47 PM

1/4-20 and M6 seem most common for vixen style dovetails, at least for me. Diameters are very close but threads are quite different.

Incidentally, my vixen style mount bolts run to M12 or 3/8-16, also close 'misses' and not interchangable.

I usually buy assortments on Amazon, both length assortments and diameter/pitch assortments. Both help avoid having 'not quite what I need'.

Lowes and Home Depot are almost always wasted trips, but my local True Value store in NW Phoenix has a huge selection, finally letting me shop local.

One thing that complicates my searches is that I avoid regular machine screw allen heads as in your drawing. I usually get button head machine screws.

While harder to source, they give me a low profile that fits more equipment, as well as being far more attractive in exposed applications.

This is probably another personal preference option, like many in the hobby.

Thanks Mark. I just picked up this hobby a month ago. The different types of plates/rails are a bit overwhelming to me.

So this is a very useful information, starting from ground zero. I like that you can shop local. My local home depot unfortunately

does not carry the screws I need. Guess online is the only way for me.

I usually just take the screw that's too short to the local hardware store and get a longer one, match the thread & diameter. 

That's the beauty when you have a local shop to go to waytogo.gif

Stellarvue sells 1/4-20 and 6mm stainless socket heads in various lengths, .50 each...

https://www.stellarvue.com/hardware/

Nice! Another place to look for. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics