•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WinJUPOS does not work on Saturn and Mars?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 controlpower29

controlpower29

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:06 AM

Recently I am trying to use WinJUPOS to process a batch of images. However, it does not work well on Saturn and Mars.

I am pretty sure for each image, I chose the right "Celestial Body". Then "Recording" -> "Image measurement..." -> enter the accurate "Date", "UT", "Geogr. longit." and "Geogr. latit." for the image -> "Adj." tab -> "Outline frame" -> "Automatic detection".

The above steps worked well for Jupiter.

WinJUPOS On Jupiter

But when I do the same thing on Jupiter and Mars, the "Automatic detection" button is grayed out.

WinJUPOS On Saturn
WinJUPOS On Mars

The WinJUPOS version is 11.3.0. I did the same thing on the three planets and noticed the difference of each image, e.g., "Celestial Body", "Date" and "UT". If something was wrong, Jupiter should fail as well. I am quite confused why it does not work on Saturn and Mars.

#2 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:33 AM

Automatic detection only works for Jupiter.  Saturn and Mars will need to be manually adjusted.  Saturn is the easiest of all planets to measure, because the ring outline includes the Cassini division, and you can get an incredibly accurate placement of the frame.  

#3 controlpower29

controlpower29

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:52 AM

Automatic detection only works for Jupiter.  Saturn and Mars will need to be manually adjusted.  Saturn is the easiest of all planets to measure, because the ring outline includes the Cassini division, and you can get an incredibly accurate placement of the frame.  

Well, It's OK. I can try to manually adjust for Saturn and Mars.

However, I don't quite get the advantage of WinJUPOS. I just processed 5 consecutive Jupiter images. The final image does not provide more details. Actually I found the final image is a little bit more blurry than the original ones. Maybe my processing order was wrong? I stacked each image on the AutoStakkert, sharpened them in RegiStax and then combined them on WinJUPOS. Is stacking, combining and sharpening a better order?

#4 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:59 AM

Well, It's OK. I can try to manually adjust for Saturn and Mars.

However, I don't quite get the advantage of WinJUPOS. I just processed 5 consecutive Jupiter images. The final image does not provide more details. Actually I found the final image is a little bit more blurry than the original ones. Maybe my processing order was wrong? I stacked each image on the AutoStakkert, sharpened them in RegiStax and then combined them on WinJUPOS. Is stacking, combining and sharpening a better order?

What you are discovering is completely normal.  WinJUPOS does not always improve an image.  The method you are describing is fine.  Sometimes you can sharpen additionally after WinJUPOS, but not always.  Usually, in a series of captures, there is one or two that are clearly better than the rest.  Often you can get a better result simply by focusing on a single good image, rather than combining in WinJUPOS.  If you are lucky enough to have good seeing, and obtain multiple stacks that are equal (and high) quality, WinJUPOS can add some additional improvements to the image.  Some of the strengths of WinJUPOS include its measurement and map generation capabilities, as well as the ability to align images for an animation, or for RGB recombination, rather than its most well-known use for combining several stacked images.  

• JonH, rkinnett and controlpower29 like this

#5 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:53 AM

I agree that often there is one stand-out stack, but even so Ive never got inferior results by including some slightly less good stacks in my winjupos combination.

Are you sure you have the times and alignment right - ie not reversed?

There was a bug with a recent version (forget if 11.3.x or 11.2.x) - the alignment optimisation wouldnt work as the 'select reference' option was always greyed out. i had to revert to an earlier version to use that. Having said that, it didnt make any detectabe difference.

#6 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:00 AM

I agree that often there is one stand-out stack, but even so Ive never got inferior results by including some slightly less good stacks in my winjupos combination.

I would agree that if the result of WinJUPOS is noticeably inferior to that of any single stack (assuming no bad ones were included), then probably something has gone awry in the procedure.  I would probably be more accurate in saying that I have frequently noticed no detectable benefit to the WinJUPOS version, but this is on a case by case basis.  

Edited by Tom Glenn, 29 October 2020 - 04:02 AM.

#7 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:07 AM

Regardless of improvements in resolution there is almost certainly a decrease in noise in my WinJuPos results no matter how good or bad in individual stacks are.  The reduction in noise sometimes allows for a bit of additional sharpening after de-rotation.

• happylimpet likes this

#8 controlpower29

controlpower29

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:00 AM

Are you sure you have the times and alignment right - ie not reversed?

I am sure I did carefully and noticed the times and alignment stuff. Not reversed. Actually after looking the second time, I felt the resolution difference is not quite detectable. I earlier felt the final image more blurry maybe just because the image is enlarged. Anyway, let me show the images below.

original images

20 22 20 lapl5 ap35
20 24 21 lapl5 ap36
20 26 22 lapl5 ap37
20 28 23 lapl5 ap35
20 30 24 lapl5 ap39

final image:

2020 10 09 0126 2

Edited by controlpower29, 30 October 2020 - 01:02 AM.

#9 controlpower29

controlpower29

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:06 AM

Regardless of improvements in resolution there is almost certainly a decrease in noise in my WinJuPos results no matter how good or bad in individual stacks are.  The reduction in noise sometimes allows for a bit of additional sharpening after de-rotation.

I did try to further sharpen the combined image. Cannot improve much. Maybe my image quality is too bad. Perhaps with very good quality images, your suggestion could help more.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics