•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PROJECT MARS - the final piece of the puzzle obtained!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:59 AM

Hi all - we arrived home last night after staying at Hawker for 3 nights, but only imaging on the first night...the conditions were probably just as good on the 2nd night but as I had progressed quite a bit in the first night's processing I realised that we had enough data to complete our assignation, so decided to take a break from imaging, especially as we were so tired of late! gramps.gif

This allowed me to take things a bit easier & finish all but the final processing up there, which I completed today. smile.gif

The specific vista with Syrtis Major front & square (aka "almost right on the C.M." lol.gif ) was the one that had eluded us so far, but not anymore! grin.gif

Pleased with the result...& as I look back now & think that in the space of 42 days from September 13th to October 25th we managed to complete this task...when at first I thought we'd struggle to get 1 or 2 decent images, I feel quite a degree of satisfaction. smile.gif

On a whim I rotated the images to South up whereas I've presented all of the preceding ones North up, with a slight rotational twist - actually the feed capture orientation - but not having looked at any of our images South up for a very long time I liked the novelty & present the first image here that way...with Mars at 150% capture scale as well as at capture scale for the rgb & individual filter images...

Plenty of clouds again as the Martian atmosphere seems to be displaying of late, with an interesting broad swathe of cloud stretching from the Northern tip of Syrtis Major right across to Sinus Meridiani etc...

This view with Hellas front & centre appealed to me - make sure you click on the image to view it at full size! wink.gif

mars2020-10-25_14-34_rgb_dpm-SouthUp.png

• Sunspot, Rick Runcie, mtc and 51 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:02 AM

Here's how I've presented all the other images in this annotated disk map project.

Again, the image needs clicking on to view at full scale...I'll review the annotations before loading it onto our website as an additional precaution! wink.gif

mars2020-10-25_14-34_rgb_dpm-NorthUp-FINannotated.png

• zjc26138, John_K, Kenny V. and 21 others like this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:05 AM

Finally for now here's the rgb images at around capture scale showing the rotational progression of Mars & the vistas that encompass the full planet: no attempt has been made here to create the images at their relative diameters at the various dates...images from 13th September to 25th October 2020 in a clockwise direction from top to bottom.

As usual will need to be clicked on to see at full scale... wink.gif

Mars-RGB-Compendium.jpg

• zjc26138, John_K, Yu Gu and 29 others like this

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:13 AM

These are the best Mars images I have ever seen. Just incredible!

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Vanguard

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:04 AM

Congratulations Darryl, a real triumph :)

#6 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:03 AM

Spectacular work!!!

#7 BrettD

BrettD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

Fantastic work, as always.

Thank you for doing this, it really helps me as a newcomer to both identify features in  and improve my own images.

Brett

#8 RickD_99

RickD_99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Alabama USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:53 AM

Spectacular results Darryl! And thanks for the annotations...really helps the learning process for noobs like meself!

#9 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:02 PM

These are the best Mars images I have ever seen. Just incredible!

Absolutely, most impressive!

#10 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

Wonderful !!! Thank you for posting the annotated versions!!!

#11 Ron G.

Ron G.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

Beautiful Darryl! Have you had a chance to make a projection map yet, it would probable make it into text books. 

#12 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

Thanks Kevin, Andrew, dcaponeii, Brett, Rick, Jaimo!, Jeff & Ron...& for all the "Likes" posted - appreciated! smile.gif

We want to kick back a bit now because although it might seem that this was a piece of cake or such, we have spent many hours imaging, processing & travelling in these 42 nights; but I have to say we were very lucky as well & the only "dud" night was one at home where we expected poor results - but because no travelling was involved we set up & imaged...with that old maxim of "you just never know what you might get!"

We got "lemons" which I did post here at the time to show we that don't have any magical potions for imaging..! lol.gif

With all the clouds on Mars we don't want to stop imaging, but I do have a habit of just keeping on going with things & want to be able to take a break to show myself I can do so rofl2.gif - WinJUPOS tells me that the day after tomorrow Mars drops below 20" in diameter...so as the other factor we included in this "project" besides all the vistas was with it above 20" I can well & truly claim we managed our mission well! grin.gif

We've got a couple of weeks before Mars drops below 18" so if the clouds etc don't impact it's likely we'll start again before then...I'm hoping to be able to bring the "big gun" out at home where the 18" Newt is really only viable...although the apparition this year of each planet seems to have necessitated travelling - by trying to find some clear skies in a very cloudy year!

I might drop another image from about 40 minutes earlier in this thread later, either that or an animation or two. wink.gif

#13 CapnRon

CapnRon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:18 PM

Absolutely stunning images!   

How do you avoid/suppress the planet 'rind' effect in post processing?  Perhaps with good seeing and the C14" you don't need a lot of post processing.

#14 Borodog

Borodog

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:22 PM

These are incredible. I can now recognize the features in my own much poorer photos over the last month. I will be using this for color reference, too.

#15 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:23 PM

I lost my first version before posting and that version contained a much better selection of compliments for your achievement Darryl.  Truly an evocative layout of a great set of Martian Images.  Panel 3 reminds me, for some reason of an ancient set of dentures!

The Hellas area seems to show more detail this opposition but your annotations in your wonderful map in Panel 2 does not cover much of that area.  Darryl, is that large circular structure just above and slightly to the left of the Southern Ice cap  the crater "Barnard"?    I ask because that feature seems a bit large to be a crater that is only 128km in diameter but perhaps surrounding terrain or dust enhances its outline.  I will push my luck even further to ask whether you think the Hellespontus Montes coincide with the albedo shading on the lower left of the Hellas basin as this would be another nice Martian feature to be able to assign.

#16 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:48 PM

Thanks once again for the posts & "likes" - Pat & I appreciate them! smile.gif We do it primarily for ourselves 'cos otherwise we wouldn't be doing it lol.gif but as everyone on the forum would agree, some nice feedback is always appreciated! flowerred.gif

Beautiful Darryl! Have you had a chance to make a projection map yet, it would probable make it into text books. 

Ha-ha Ron - it is possible I'll put together a projection map, but it is down in my "to do" list appreciably... wink.gif

Absolutely stunning images!   

How do you avoid/suppress the planet 'rind' effect in post processing?  Perhaps with good seeing and the C14" you don't need a lot of post processing.

Ron, I've put pictorial tutes as well as copious other commentaries on the suppression of the "rind" effect here on CN which a search should reveal; I approach it by first using a lesser-processed overlay mask for the limbs, followed by "non-destructive dodge & burn" which is selective tonal variation without adding or removing pixels/data to get the best outcome - but there is really no "avoidance" of this effect btw, just amelioration. 

These are incredible. I can now recognize the features in my own much poorer photos over the last month. I will be using this for color reference, too.

Well, that is a part of the reason why we felt this would be a good project before we started it, as well as for ourselves...so I'm pleased if you find it useful! smile.gif See also the following response to Ross. (Foc)

I lost my first version before posting and that version contained a much better selection of compliments for your achievement Darryl.  Truly an evocative layout of a great set of Martian Images.  Panel 3 reminds me, for some reason of an ancient set of dentures!

The Hellas area seems to show more detail this opposition but your annotations in your wonderful map in Panel 2 does not cover much of that area.  Darryl, is that large circular structure just above and slightly to the left of the Southern Ice cap  the crater "Barnard"?    I ask because that feature seems a bit large to be a crater that is only 128km in diameter but perhaps surrounding terrain or dust enhances its outline.  I will push my luck even further to ask whether you think the Hellespontus Montes coincide with the albedo shading on the lower left of the Hellas basin as this would be another nice Martian feature to be able to assign.

After your crockery suggestion Ross, I'm willing to accept anything you see in any images! lol.gif

Apropos in part to my reply to Borodog, this "project" was also motivated by our own desire to improve our (very) basic knowledge of Martian feature terminology: perhaps slightly more so for this particular "map" where I posted the results without chewing over it as much as before because my eyes have been playing up lately & I wanted to minimise my screen-time somewhat, but the Hellas basin area is one where it'll take quite a lot longer to nut out (reasonably) accurate annotations/feature identifications...there will be further editing of these images over the next few weeks. wink.gif

Apropos the crater Bernard I think I discern its whereabouts in the image, but am not sure whether this is what you refer to, not being really near the SCP...not forgetting that the Hellas Basin is about 1400miles/2240km across btw.

On our October 18th annotated map we listed the first dark albedo "arc" around the western rim of Hellas as Yaonis Regio with the next (outer) albedo "arc" being the Hellaspontus Montes features: this corresponds to the most referenced maps I have at our disposal, although R. Aeschliman's map lists the inner "arc" as H. Montes.....a part of the constant problem with annotating features on Mars.

I'll take a punt on the annotating from the 18th October therein being correct, with H. Montes appearing more like a "doubling back" of the Serpentis dark formation by all the majority of my references.....but in checking that particular map, Iapygia V. is probably too far west & north in that Oct. 18th annotating...undecided.gif which makes the constant reviewing/editing I plan over the next few weeks pretty essential when you think more about it all! wink.gif

Hellas is really displaying a heap of internal albedo variations & the challenges there had me just leave it as is for now - as well as other points you refer/allude to - but best left out until I at least feel slightly more comfortable/confident before adding more annotations! lol.gif

• Foc likes this

#17 Az Frank

Az Frank

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:46 PM

Got to be some of the best Mars imaging... period! Congrats!

#18 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:46 PM

Superb work once again Darryl!

Pat and yourself have done a ton of fabulous work during this Mars apparition and have no doubt caused a lot a jaws to drop around the world with results like these! bow.gif waytogo.gif bow.gif waytogo.gif  

#19 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:48 PM

nice shots Daryl but i want to see those shorts you had of the same side i imaged last night I dont think my iages are that far off If i gave my tifs to you  so you can process them yur way they would probably come out beter

#20 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:54 AM

Thanks Frank, John & Joe - & for the extra "Likes" also! smile.gif

John, I'm about to go out into my veggie garden to do some more planting out for the summer months...another "old love" of mine! grin.gif & this means that I'll be reducing our imaging to somewhat less than recently, although once a week on average for this lot is hardly pumping them out tbh - certainly not for us in the past when we were a tad younger..! shakecane.gif  lol.gif

Neptune & Uranus will get a bit more "air time" also but as I said, the clouds on Mars lately make it worth pursuing it still, but at a less intense focus - "less intense" wrt the amount of time we have been looking at locations where there might be no clouds & being ready to go at the drop of a hat if weather & Mars' aspect beckoned! wink.gif

Anything you want to look at is all here on CN Joe wink.gif & apart from this latest lot they are also loaded onto our website here: https://momilika.net...rs2020Pics.htm 

As a guide, here is the start of the feed from a typical red filter capture on that night...I post these rather than the graded quality feeds as they are far more indicative of the seeing for any capture (red being the best usually) & of course I never start a capture (or rather Pattie doesn't!) until we are seeing the best appearance after focusing.

I hesitate to be more definitive than the following for a number of reasons, but Mars has displayed capture feeds far less indicative of the final outcomes more so than ever this apparition...I can look back at much better feeds in bygone apparitions but the results aren't as good usually: it's a bit counter-logical but nonetheless seems to be the case imo...thinking1.gif shrug.gif

On another point I was discussing with Andrew (Tulloch) & others the 1.5x drizzle has definitely been the way to go for us with our data...the 13th September data, the only 3x drizzled stacks, would probably be improved by the 1.5x approach in hindsight...but I'm not going to bother now! smile.gif

A strange occurrence with AS!3 whilst processing this data: about halfway through & leaving everything open overnight, I loaded a green capture from AS!3 from the previous night into R6 & got an outcome that looked no better than a raw stack at best...despite numerous attempts/trials with other stacks etc the only "fix" was to shut AS!3 down & start it up from scratch again - most curious!!! confused1.gif

This capture feed is at 75% to conform to CN file-sizes...if anything it makes it appear a bit sharper but I think one can see that the feed isn't anything to get really excited about, & we had to often go down to 45% of the quality of the best frame to get the stack-sizes we wanted...

As an extension of my comments about seemingly better outcomes than we would've thought beforehand...& the 1.5x drizzle aspect, without any testing to reinforce this I have an idea that more frames at lower qualities was also a beneficial approach: we utilised around 5-6,000 frames per channel...& I should have mentioned that the image above was a WJ integration of about 90,000 frames. (6 x 300 second r-g-b sequences)

Mars_143500_R_251020-FeedStart.gif

#21 R Botero

R Botero

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:21 AM

Absolutely stunning! bow.gif

I will need some time to go through the detail in your posts but I have to express my admiration. Superb waytogo.gif

Roberto

#22 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:37 AM

Much appreciated Roberto! :)

#23 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:59 AM

Darryl, the filter work is the best aspect with your excellent images.  Clouds look real and like your were taking them for a Mars orbiter.  Will leave  it at that, thanks mate I rely on your work for my Mars watching. flowerred.gif  

• JMP likes this

#24 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:52 AM

Thanks Jeff! smile.gif

We've been working on our summer garden these last couple of days & I've been coming in to work on a couple more sets of data every now & then - but mindful of how bad/sore my eyes have been of late, a combination of extreme allergies & far too much imaging & processing in front of screens: but here is an animation covering about 35 minutes (reversing) of blue filter images...I'll complete a similar red filter animation & post it tomorrow our time with an earlier rgb image also, if I get around to it...

Along with the issue we had with AS!3 that I spoke about, WinJUPOS threw up a couple of hissies & I had to go back & re-measure etc everything again. (& again, in some instances! frown.gif )

I'll be editing some of the annotated images we've already uploaded onto our website where I can see errors or anomalies  & hopefully add to the one in the thread here also... wink.gif

2020-10-25-1417_9_B-ANIME_FIN-LgeCvass.gif

• Mirzam, eros312, vilchez and 3 others like this

#25 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

Darryl, I feel your pain;  is the season here in Florida for allergies.  My wife and daughter are down with allergies, so I have some allergy pills from my doctor and they seem to help them as well as me.  Then 8 years after cataract surgery my eyes are back to blurry when tired, too much laptop work and TV.  Seems like Mars images flooding in and I am still too interested in the Red Blob. 

You are doing real science with imaging.  Gets in a person's blood.  Much of the excitement lately about dark streaks, clouds etc., on Mars  is gratifying for me because while it is old news to some of us, at least those of us who are still above room temperature, we've seen stuff like that for years.  Up until recently with such high detailed, and quality images by you guys, I only speculated as to what those things were.  It is one thing for us to discuss them in private, but then never publicly speak out and be scorned for being not scientific. True however.  We must remember what science is about. 

Using your annotated images, if more rotation is recorded, one can measure the extent of cloud movement and determine approximate movements and wind speeds.  Of course, you need to know the altitude and stuff, but the speed can be realized.  I have watched the orographic clouds over Olympus Mons off and on for years to see how far and fast it moved about.  At times shadows can been seen, or at least perceived.  .    

Edited by Jeff B1, 31 October 2020 - 09:51 AM.

• JMP likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics