•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polar alignment - iPolar and Starsense

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kabir

Kabir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

Hello everyone,

I am new to astrophotography and to this community. I am wondering whether I could get an advice on polar alignment.

I use a an AVX mount. I have the iOptron iPolar Electronic Polarscope as well as a Celestron StarSense. My query is, is there any benefit in using the both at the same time or should I just use the iPolar. The StarSense adds additional weight to the mount which is already nearing its limit for astrophotography.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kabir

#2 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

Hello everyone,

I am new to astrophotography and to this community. I am wondering whether I could get an advice on polar alignment.

I use a an AVX mount. I have the iOptron iPolar Electronic Polarscope as well as a Celestron StarSense. My query is, is there any benefit in using the both at the same time or should I just use the iPolar. The StarSense adds additional weight to the mount which is already nearing its limit for astrophotography.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kabir

You'll have to use both at the same time--they perform different functions.

The iPolar does your polar alignment.

The StarSense does your goto alignment.

\:)

#3 Kabir

Kabir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

Hi rmollise,

Thank you for your reply.

So are you saying if I have the best polar alignment the GoTo still may not be accurate enough?

Thanks

Edited by Kabir, 29 October 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#4 rlillard

rlillard

Explorer 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ & SF Bay, CA

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:31 PM

Good accurate goto operation is a two step process.  First polar alignment then star alignment. The Starsense is a tool to create very good star pointing model which is the essence of good goto performance.  The mount is no good enough on its own.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics