•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carl Zeiss mystery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Xr3i

Xr3i

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

Hi. I've just got my hands on a good pair of zeiss telactem 8x binoculars. They were used by the british military as they have the crows foot marking. However there is a curious v shape cut out on the leathet hand grip. Does any one have any ideas. I suspect it has some thing to do with its previous military use. Any one any explanation. Thanks Eric

#2 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:16 PM

Could you attach a picture. Sounds like it could have been an Admiralty broad arrow marking.

#3 Xr3i

Xr3i

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

Hi. I think you are right. It's in the same area and size I've seen on other binoculars. Was Probabily removed when binoculars returned to owner. Sorry I'm unable to post photo as don't know how to do it.

#4 Xr3i

Xr3i

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:07 AM

I looked very closely at the edges of the cut and there are traces of yellow paint. So looks like mystery solved. Broad arrow Mark cut out when binoculars went back to civilian use. Next question was it only the navy that punted the broad arrow on their binoculars or did the other services do the same?

#5 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:41 PM

The British military put broadarrows on practically all their military binoculars beginning at least in WW I (and probably much earlier) as well as a great deal of other equipment. And the Commonwealth counties such as Australia and Canada also used broad arrows or some variation of them. However, the large yellow arrows marked on binocular barrels were only applied on British naval glasses although not all may have had them. And during WW II many Canadian and Australian naval binoculars also had yellow broad arrows applied to binocular barrels.

• Xr3i likes this

#6 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:56 PM

I had to look it up.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Broad_arrow

#7 J. Barnes

J. Barnes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kalispell, Montana

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:52 PM

Kind of a long shot, and the production years may not coincide, but their is some rumors of a German optics for Brittish rubber exchange during WW1. 

https://en.wikipedia...ications cables.

https://www.youtube....h?v=nhTXaIVVe54

https://www.historic...rs-at-the/embed

https://greatwarproj...with-the-enemy/

I have a pair of DF 6x42's that were only produced from 1914-1918 that have some very unusual markings for your your standard Zeiss offerings. Makes for an interesting conversation at least.I suspect that most examples were civilian owned binoculars that were offered up to the military, in order to help with the war effort.

#8 Xr3i

Xr3i

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2020 - 06:10 PM

Interesting. I've read zeiss were making optics in London until 1916 and Ross took over the factory. Going by serial numbers mine were made in 1916. Perhaps a last batch in London. One can only speculate.
However there is a inscribed brass cover on the pivot screw with a firm of opticians in Edinburgh. So presumably they sold the pair to whoever.

#9 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:09 AM

The British military put broadarrows on practically all their military binoculars beginning at least in WW I (and probably much earlier) as well as a great deal of other equipment. And the Commonwealth counties such as Australia and Canada also used broad arrows or some variation of them. However, the large yellow arrows marked on binocular barrels were only applied on British naval glasses although not all may have had them. And during WW II many Canadian and Australian naval binoculars also had yellow broad arrows applied to binocular barrels.

All British government property, civil as well, had the arrow, including prisoners clothing.

I had some nice leather binocs cases with an arrow embossed into it. Genuine good condition ex-WD stuff can be collectible. 

Edited by 25585, 03 November 2020 - 07:10 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics