•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hello, my name is Shawn and I have a problem.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:15 AM

So, I had finally gotten into a “clear house” mood with regard to astronomy gear. Sold a 6” dob to make room for my current 8, unloaded a short tube Meade mini reflector (EclipseView 114) and also an Orion XT4.5, because why use a 4.5” scope when you have a 6” starblast for your travel scope? 6” starblast, 8 and 12” full height dobs, a decent lineup.

So naturally a 130mm OneSky and an XT10 came home within the past week.

They say admitting your problem is the first step to recovery, but I doubt I’ll get much voice of reason here. Carry on, fellow sky nerds. I hope the skies are clear Saturday night, I’ll let whoever wants to risk it look through the XT10 at the Moon or Mars or some such during the Halloween festivities.

Edited by BlueTrane2028, 29 October 2020 - 08:15 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, Bill Jensen, dragonstar4565 and 2 others like this

#2 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:29 AM

I think you need to find a 7 inch Star Master Oak classic and an 11 inch StarMaster Shorty, so that you would have a 5, 6, 7, 8. 10 , 11 and 12 inch reflector lineup. I don't know of a 9 inch dob, but perhaps you can just stop down the 10 to be a 9 inch ;-)

• ShaulaB, PirateMike, BradFran and 2 others like this

#3 BradFran

BradFran

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:42 AM

If you have more Dobs than eyepieces, then you have a problem. But it's easily solvable: buy more eyepieces!

• Bill Jensen, Alterf, George N and 9 others like this

#4 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:46 AM

If you have more Dobs than eyepieces, then you have a problem. But it's easily solvable: buy more eyepieces!

I have fifteen ish eyepieces that see actual use, and several others that came along with my telescopes when I bought them.

So, I guess I'm good haha.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#5 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:47 AM

Look at most people's signatures here and you know that is not all the stuff they (we) have, so who would want to admit they have a problem? Especially when there is so much more out there, someplace, and not in my observatory. I don't want it all, just the stuff I want.

#6 mic1970

mic1970

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

Now that's funny; I don't care who your are.

#7 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

If I were you I would consider purchasing an extensive line up of refractors to compliment your current line of dobsonians. After all, one can never have to many telescopes. grin.gif

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 29 October 2020 - 09:04 AM.

#8 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:29 AM

If I were you I would consider purchasing an extensive line up of refractors to compliment your current line of dobsonians. After all, one can never have to many telescopes. grin.gif

Miguel   8-)

I have a hangup re: refractors.  Lot of money (in relation to a reflector) for not a lot of aperture.  I do want to eventually get something on a decent EQ mount though, a refractor may be a nice change for that since that style of mount puts the eyepiece in weird positions at times on a Newtonian....

• PirateMike likes this

#9 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Aurora

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

They say admitting your problem is the first step to recovery,

Serious question:: Can you explain why you want to recover from being a "telescope nut" ?

#10 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

Serious question:: Can you explain why you want to recover from being a "telescope nut" ?

Only so much space in the house, I have several other interests that also involve lots of gear.  It just surprised me how quickly I returned to having scopes with overlapping uses.

• cuzimthedad and dragonstar4565 like this

#11 rhetfield

rhetfield

Viking 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

So, I had finally gotten into a “clear house” mood with regard to astronomy gear. Sold a 6” dob to make room for my current 8, unloaded a short tube Meade mini reflector (EclipseView 114) and also an Orion XT4.5, because why use a 4.5” scope when you have a 6” starblast for your travel scope? 6” starblast, 8 and 12” full height dobs, a decent lineup.

So naturally a 130mm OneSky and an XT10 came home within the past week.

They say admitting your problem is the first step to recovery, but I doubt I’ll get much voice of reason here. Carry on, fellow sky nerds. I hope the skies are clear Saturday night, I’ll let whoever wants to risk it look through the XT10 at the Moon or Mars or some such during the Halloween festivities.

If it was me, I would put together a good alt/az travel tripod that can fit into an airline carry-on bag with the Onesky and add enough optics to max it out.  That way, you have a grab and go for those times that the 6" starblast is too big.

Similarly, I would make sure the starblast is independently set up with it's own comprehensive optics case for quick grab and go.  I would expect this one to get the most use, since it would be the quickest setup.

I would make sure both small dobs have degree circles for quick navigation so they can do quick opportunistic sessions.  I would also consider investing in premium optics for the starblast, since they can be had in 6" F5.

#12 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

Only so much space in the house, I have several other interests that also involve lots of gear.  It just surprised me how quickly I returned to having scopes with overlapping uses.

Simple solution to this too. Buy a bigger house or build a dedicated bedroom for the telescopes. They could have their own closet to store their eyepieces.

• Bill Jensen, BillShort, dragonstar4565 and 1 other like this

#13 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:47 AM

A nice sturdy shed in your yard could be a good investment.

#14 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:04 AM

If it was me, I would put together a good alt/az travel tripod that can fit into an airline carry-on bag with the Onesky and add enough optics to max it out.  That way, you have a grab and go for those times that the 6" starblast is too big.

Similarly, I would make sure the starblast is independently set up with it's own comprehensive optics case for quick grab and go.  I would expect this one to get the most use, since it would be the quickest setup.

I would make sure both small dobs have degree circles for quick navigation so they can do quick opportunistic sessions.  I would also consider investing in premium optics for the starblast, since they can be had in 6" F5.

It somewhat bothers me that I can't use all my eyepieces in the Starblast, because it lacks a 2" focuser.  I've considered upgrading focusers or finding a different OTA that fits the rings.  Any "better" OTAs on the short list?  The OneSky, being a proprietary helical arrangement, can stay as it is.

#15 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:05 AM

A nice sturdy shed in your yard could be a good investment.

I'm in Bortle 8-9 skies.  If I put my astro gear in a shed somewhere it's going to be in dark skies and said shed will have something larger than 12" in there...

#16 icomet

icomet

Ranger 4

• Loc: Montana

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:07 PM

I think you need to find a 7 inch Star Master Oak classic and an 11 inch StarMaster Shorty, so that you would have a 5, 6, 7, 8. 10 , 11 and 12 inch reflector lineup. I don't know of a 9 inch dob, but perhaps you can just stop down the 10 to be a 9 inch ;-)

Some time ago, I think Steve Swayze had a couple of 9" mirrors sitting around.

There, no need to stop down anything.

Clear Skies.

• Bill Jensen and dragonstar4565 like this

#17 John Harrington

John Harrington

Author - "Shallow Sky"

• Vendors
  • Loc: New England

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

Or you could look for a used DGM Optics off-axis reflector.  They made one with 9-inch aperture.  Even better, they also made 5.5 and 6.5 inch models to fill those annoying "in between" 1-inch gaps.  Problem solved.  smile.gif

• Bill Jensen likes this

#18 rhetfield

rhetfield

Viking 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:04 AM

It somewhat bothers me that I can't use all my eyepieces in the Starblast, because it lacks a 2" focuser.  I've considered upgrading focusers or finding a different OTA that fits the rings.  Any "better" OTAs on the short list?  The OneSky, being a proprietary helical arrangement, can stay as it is.

For the OneSky, I would look at the OneSky thread over in the beginners forum.  Lots of little hacks there that optimize the scope.

For the 6", not sure what to go with.  I would think that any upgrade over the starblast would want to have premium mirrors and a good two speed focuser to be worth it.  At that point, might be just as easy to mod the existing tube as to try to find something with exactly what you want.

#19 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:54 PM

For the OneSky, I would look at the OneSky thread over in the beginners forum.  Lots of little hacks there that optimize the scope.

For the 6", not sure what to go with.  I would think that any upgrade over the starblast would want to have premium mirrors and a good two speed focuser to be worth it.  At that point, might be just as easy to mod the existing tube as to try to find something with exactly what you want.

The biggest upgrade everyone seems to agree on is a light shroud.  Being as I don't bother with one on my Flextube Skywatcher, I'll probably pass on the OneSky too.  Just means I need to be away from streetlights.

#20 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 01 November 2020 - 01:00 PM

Simple solution to this too. Buy a bigger house or build a dedicated bedroom for the telescopes. They could have their own closet to store their eyepieces.

This is my plan. I've been slowly accumulating supplies to build an 8x12 foot astro shed. So far I have the siding and roofing, and about half the framing material and hardware.

Should be ready to put it together in a couple of weeks...,and then I can start looking for a small-medium size 12-14 inch dob. Probably spring for a little one to start out, until I'm comfortable with the price of the bigger one and a coma corrector....or I run across a deal on a used one.

• cuzimthedad likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics