•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would you buy an Apollo 11mm 85° if you tried one first for a few nights & liked it enough?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:28 AM

Not sure if an Apollo 11mm eyepiece appeals to you? Its expensive true. But if you had a chance to try one out, for several good nights first, and liked it enough, would you maybe buy one then, whereas not before?

I took a big (for me) chance buying a Noblex/Docter 12.5mm blind, & am relieved as much as ecstatic it is so good! But stretched my luck, I think. An Apollo, for its price, would need trying out first, if I ever wanted one. Reviews are not enough on their own at $1250 each. However to try before buy... is much less of a gamble. 

Edited by 25585, 29 October 2020 - 08:29 AM.

#2 BKSo

BKSo

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:33 AM

Seriously I don't see any advantage of the Apollo over its competitors (including Neglars and Delos and Ethos), never-mind justifying its price tag.

• EverlastingSky, SandyHouTex, Nippon and 3 others like this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

Seriously I don't see any advantage of the Apollo over its competitors (including Neglars and Delos and Ethos), never-mind justifying its price tag.

+ 1

#4 wrvond

wrvond

Vanguard

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

The qualifier: ".. if you liked it enough..." automatically makes the answer a "yes". However, I already have an 11mm Nagler with which I am very happy, so for me, the Apollo and it's price are all about collectability. 

The closest I come to "collecting status" is my Towa 339 telescope. I own it, but don't use it because my Sky-Watcher makes it superfluous.

Edited by wrvond, 29 October 2020 - 08:37 AM.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:13 AM

The moment I got and then tried mine --- I immediately wanted a second one for bino use. The one and only reason I didn't was because my nose is too big to be able to look straight into both simultaneously, even though my IPD is an ample 71+mm. I'm currently discussing elective surgery to overcome that one little obstacle. Insurance will cover that, provided the patient confirms his engagement, by owning two Apollo Elevens.

Seriously, the form & fit, beauty, and especially performance of the Apollo Eleven are spectacular. Well worth double the bargain list price. And don't expect anyone to lend you theirs to field test "for several good nights." Just ain't gona happen. That would be like asking to test drive his Porsche, Yacht, or spouse. Just ain't done.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 149 Tom's Apollo 11 Full Set - artist's rendition.jpg

• Starman81, Aleko, rowdy388 and 3 others like this

#6 wrvond

wrvond

Vanguard

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:17 AM

The moment I got and then tried mine --- I immediately wanted a second one for bino use. The one and only reason I didn't was because my nose is too big to be able to look straight into both simultaneously, even though my IPD is an ample 71+mm. I'm currently discussing elective surgery to overcome that one little obstacle. Insurance will cover that, provided the patient confirms his engagement, by owning two Apollo Elevens.

Seriously, the form & fit, beauty, and especially performance of the Apollo Eleven are spectacular. Well worth double the bargain list price. And don't expect anyone to lend you theirs to field test "for several good nights." Just ain't gona happen. That would be like asking to test drive his Porsche, Yacht, or spouse. Just ain't done.    Tom

So sorry to read that you have to miss out on the bino experience using the Apollo 11!

The good news is, at least your set is parfocal!

Of course, you could have my problem - my right eye is glass and I only own a left eye patch...

#7 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:19 AM

Yesterday I spent what seemed like all morning reading an Apollo 11 review thread on this subject.  It is out there.

#8 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

I have zero doubt that it's as good as it should be. But it and things like it aren't marketed to us all, the people that it is marketed to know who they are. "Is it worth it?" is a question already answered in a potential buyer's mind. For most, no, for the rest, it's yes. 

• wrvond likes this

#9 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

I hear they’re still available if you want one.  I don’t, so no competition from me.

#10 f74265a

f74265a

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

Following the recent, sudden unavailability of the docter, I decided I wanted an Apollo 11 before they sell out. My local dealer was able to get one from tv so as of last week tv had some in stock
  • wrvond and 25585 like this

#11 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:02 AM

It very much depends. I own it, but I know I was paying a price for the special item, not just for the superb optics (which wasn't ensure at the moment).I know it performs better than my Nagler 13T6 at the edge. Basically the edge is perfect for me. I find it very comfortable. Some are using an extender.

Pouring $1250 dollars for it it's a matter of preferences. If you have a Noblex, it's not reasonable to get also the Apollo, unless you really hate the rolling ball effect when panning, or you get along with an irrational decision of having both (or buying it instead another 2 or 3 for the same total amount!). Most of our gear is not based on rationality, rather on satisfaction and spending capacity.

For me, once the current and future general economic needs are very well covered for my standard of life (economic safety first and foremost!), the rest is gasoline to burn. I don't want to be buried with money. Yes, I fought many times the rational being, sometimes it won, others my satisfaction did.

There's a saying in Spanish (I guess in English too): Is not happier the one having the most, but the one wishing the least. Think that way: you only wish now 1 eyepiece... laugh.gif

Edited by sanbai, 29 October 2020 - 10:04 AM.

• Dr Morbius, wrvond, wrnchhead and 1 other like this

#12 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:13 AM

Seriously, the form & fit, beauty, and especially performance of the Apollo Eleven are spectacular

Tom's one sentence review says it all for me and I agree with every word.  Thanks! waytogo.gif

I waited almost a year before I finally decided that I wanted to afford one -- and I have not been disappointed at all.  I have spent a thousand dollars for an eyepiece before and have always felt that I got my money's worth.  Those who have or are looking for ZAOs or a CZJ 8mm ortho know the drill.

The 11mm focal length is ideal for my refractors and my variable star estimations.  I expect to use this eyepiece every night I am outside, but I will probably leave it at home if I ever resume public outreach events.

My .02,

Ron

• doctordub, turtle86, payner and 2 others like this

#13 ullomat

ullomat

Vendor (astroshop.eu)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Bavaria - Germany

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:44 AM

I think yes. 

#14 oldphysics

oldphysics

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: East Coast, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:10 PM

And this is why I’d say “yes” to the OP.

But then, I only own 20 eyepieces and have only been staring through an amateur scope for about 3 years.

Not young, but still impressionable.  lol.gif

Edited by oldphysics, 29 October 2020 - 12:12 PM.

#15 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:38 PM

Like the Nikon Nav-HW, for me and my cheap scopes, it's a ridiculous sum of money to pay for a single eyepiece. Moonlighting as an amateur astronomer has not yet reached the level compensation for me to justify such an expenditure.

Maybe after the shed to house the large dob is complete, and the large dob is acquired, then I will discover a new planet or galaxy and become hugely famous with throngs of publishers throwing money at me for rights to my book. Then, and only then, maybe, possibly, I will step back and re-examine the relevance and value that the objects in question may provide in my future astronomical endeavors.

#16 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:45 PM

What if you needed glasses-friendly eye relief and wanted an ultrawide FOV?

Not many choices there.

620g with the 2" adapter.

The 12mm Explore Scientific 92° is 1017g, or about 0.88 lbs (!) heavier.

The Orion LHD doesn't come in a similar focal length and has a 5° smaller field.

• 25585 and rkelley8493 like this

#17 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

What if you needed glasses-friendly eye relief and wanted an ultrawide FOV?

Not many choices there.

620g with the 2" adapter.

The 12mm Explore Scientific 92° is 1017g, or about 0.88 lbs (!) heavier.

The Orion LHD doesn't come in a similar focal length and has a 5° smaller field.

There's the Omegon Panorama II 10mm at a scant 375 grams with 19.7mm of eye relief.

#18 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Vanguard

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:14 PM

Not sure if an Apollo 11mm eyepiece appeals to you? Its expensive true. But if you had a chance to try one out, for several good nights first, and liked it enough, would you maybe buy one then, whereas not before?

I took a big (for me) chance buying a Noblex/Docter 12.5mm blind, & am relieved as much as ecstatic it is so good! But stretched my luck, I think. An Apollo, for its price, would need trying out first, if I ever wanted one. Reviews are not enough on their own at $1250 each. However to try before buy... is much less of a gamble. 

I probably would if I tried it and loved it.

If I really liked it? scratchhead2.gif eh.. probably not. 

I don't feel like I have to have it though.. It's kinda like one of those things where If you had to have your refrigerator replaced, you'd make a large purchase because you can't go without a fridge. So if you had to have this eyepiece, then you would do what you had to in order to get it. 

Edited by rkelley8493, 29 October 2020 - 06:06 PM.

#19 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

Echolight said:

"There's the Omegon Panorama II 10mm at a scant 375 grams with 19.7mm of eye relief."

Even though consensus is the model really has about an 88° field, that would still qualify as ultrawide.

The Meade version is gone, now.

The Omegon version is available at Omegon.eu and on Amazon.com

The Telescope Service SWA version of the eyepiece is also available, and on sale.

Edited by Starman1, 29 October 2020 - 03:26 PM.

#20 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

No, too expensive. If I had that much to spend on one accessory I would be looking at a used NV setup or a newer, better camera. Will an Apollo 11 be better than my 10mm Nikon SW or 10mm Luminos? Probably. Will it be orders of magnitude better? Probably not. You can argue NV is orders of magnitude better, at least in terms of brightness. You can argue that a camera 10-15 years newer will be orders of magnitude better. Not being a collector, I wouldn’t spend that much on an accessory unless it really made a huge improvement.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs, CeleNoptic, SandyHouTex and 3 others like this

#21 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:45 PM

If I really liked it, I would buy one but I would want to have one on loan for a few sessions and that's not going to happen smirk.gif

It would have to be a noticeably better performer, consistently, than my Pentax XW 10mm. Not just on the nights of very best seeing.

• oldphysics, 25585 and rkelley8493 like this

#22 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:47 PM

I'd buy it but not new, only used, however I don't see that happening as I'm quite content with the 8/10 Ethos.

• clivemilne and 25585 like this

#23 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

Why not if you can afford it?  That is really the issue - Do you have the free funds to spend $1245 for a single eyepiece? It is not something I can justify right now. 

• CeleNoptic likes this

#24 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Aurora

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:46 PM

The moment I got and then tried mine --- I immediately wanted a second one for bino use. The one and only reason I didn't was because my nose is too big to be able to look straight into both simultaneously, even though my IPD is an ample 71+mm. I'm currently discussing elective surgery to overcome that one little obstacle.

You are going to move your eye sockets farther apart and keep the nose?

or lose the nose and leave the eye sockets where they are?

• wrvond likes this

#25 25585

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

Yesterday I spent what seemed like all morning reading an Apollo 11 review thread on this subject.  It is out there.

OK. To clarify. This thread topic is not about buying for collecting, but for actual use. Its not about who designed it, made it or why, but if you had tried one out after being sceptical initially.

So imagine its an LZOS Soyuz 11mm 85°, instead.

• rkelley8493 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics