•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:59 AM

Hi, I have just had a new laptop (Lenovo) due to the other one dying. 

I have downloaded Stellarium, twice, after deleting the previous one, and can find no way of connecting the scope. I go into plugins but Telescope is not there, the version I have downloaded is 0.20.3. I have also downloaded Stellarium Scope. The plugins stops at Solar. Anyone help please. It seems that what I am looking at is too big for the laptop screen, is there a way of making Stellarium smaller so it fits onto my screen?

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

Hi, I have just had a new laptop (Lenovo) due to the other one dying. 

I have downloaded Stellarium, twice, after deleting the previous one, and can find no way of connecting the scope. I go into plugins but Telescope is not there, the version I have downloaded is 0.20.3. I have also downloaded Stellarium Scope. The plugins stops at Solar. Anyone help please. It seems that what I am looking at is too big for the laptop screen, is there a way of making Stellarium smaller so it fits onto my screen?

There should be a scroll bar on the list of plug ins. Just move it down until you see telescope control.

#3 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:38 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have scrolled down as far as I can but no telescope control. It seems that the resolution is just too big and it doesn’t fit on the laptop screen. Do you know a way of adjusting the resolution? I have never had this issue befor.

#4 spereira

spereira

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

Moving to Astro Software and Computers.

smp

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

Contact Georg Zotti (gzotti) or Alexander Wolf, members on Cloudy Nights. They develop Stellarium.

#6 beggarly

beggarly

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:01 AM

Laptop type?

Hit F11 to switch between full-screen and window mode.

Download the user guide and read '2. Getting Started'. Maybe you need MESA mode available in 'Start' menu.

Start - Stellarium.jpg

Edited by beggarly, 29 October 2020 - 11:16 AM.

#7 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:52 AM

Well I hit the f11 button and nothing happened. I am not a computer buff so things need to be explained in an idiots guide style.

#8 agueybana

agueybana

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bensenville, IL

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

On windows run the one with the name of Stellarium. If the screen is already looking huge or very zoomed in then exit Stellarium right click anywhere on the desktop and select display properties. Ensure that a proper resolution is selected there. Once the resolution is taken care of or if that isn't the issue, then launch Stellarium and press F2. If you're using a laptop you may need to press FN + F2. Go to the plugin tab and hopefully you will see telescope control now.

Edited by agueybana, 29 October 2020 - 02:41 PM.

• Angel baby likes this

#9 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

Thank you for that, the display was set to 150% and I adjusted it to 125% and as you said everything came into view, thank you. I was considering sending the laptop back but no need now. Just got to get Cartes du Ceil working now.

#10 agueybana

agueybana

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:07 PM

You may want to verify the display settings again, but this time the resolution. If it's too low, some applications including Stellarium and other related ones can look "wonky". Since I don't know which laptop you have, make sure that the resolution is higher than 1024 x 768. The higher you go the better the application window will fit, however since this causes a zoom out effect everything will appear smaller, something to keep in mind. If the resolution can't be changed then it could be an issue with the video (display) drivers needing an update or reinstalled.

#11 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:31 AM

Hello agueybana, thanks once again, I shall look into what you say. My laptop is a Lenovo thinkpad p43s.

#12 agueybana

agueybana

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 October 2020 - 07:34 AM

Hello agueybana, thanks once again, I shall look into what you say. My laptop is a Lenovo thinkpad p43s.

Ok, for that laptop make sure that the resolution is set to 1920 x 1080. Then if the font is too small or fuzzy you can adjust the Scale and Layout. The screenshot below is from my pc so not everything will match to yours.

ekttICY.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics