•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polar Scope reticle clock unaligned

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ayurvedicman2

Ayurvedicman2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

Hi All,

I recently got a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount.  The polar scope has 3 o' clock pointed to the bottom.

I tried searching my questions/concern online, but could not find a clear answer.

1)Could I just rotate the RA axis so the 0 (12 o' clock) is pointed at the top, and then polar align (image below)? 

2) If so, after I place polaris where PolarFinder Pro app tells me to on the clock, do I just rotate RA axis so the mount is back the home position?  Then would I be good to continue with guiding and slewing to objects?

Attached Thumbnails

• mount rotated.jpg

Edited by Ayurvedicman2, 29 October 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

Yes. Your conclusions are correct.
  • Ayurvedicman2 likes this

#3 Ayurvedicman2

Ayurvedicman2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

Yes. Your conclusions are correct.

Thank you!

#4 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:10 AM

Correct on both things.

I would suggest you a further step, tough: checking if the polar scope axis is correctly aligned with the RA axis.

Point your polar scope to a distant object, and place a part of it (for example the tip of an antenna) on the circle. Rotate the RA. If the tip stays on the circle, you are good to go. If not, you need to align the polar scope.

Sometimes the polar scopes are not correctly aligned from factory.
  • lkannard and Ayurvedicman2 like this

#5 Ayurvedicman2

Ayurvedicman2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

Correct on both things.

I would suggest you a further step, tough: checking if the polar scope axis is correctly aligned with the RA axis.

Point your polar scope to a distant object, and place a part of it (for example the tip of an antenna) on the circle. Rotate the RA. If the tip stays on the circle, you are good to go. If not, you need to align the polar scope.

Sometimes the polar scopes are not correctly aligned from factory.

Thank you for the response.

I placed a small dot on a paper, aligned the crosshair on the polar scope using alt az  knobs, turned the RA axis 180 degrees.  The dot is only very slightly off from the crosshair to the right, still touching the edge where the crosshair meets.

What is an acceptable range of error for the polar scope? I have a guidescope as well, I plan to use PHD2.

#6 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

Thank you for the response.

I placed a small dot on a paper, aligned the crosshair on the polar scope using alt az  knobs, turned the RA axis 180 degrees.  The dot is only very slightly off from the crosshair to the right, still touching the edge where the crosshair meets.

What is an acceptable range of error for the polar scope? I have a guidescope as well, I plan to use PHD2.

I have a new HEQ5 and it took me a while to get the reticule centered correctly.  Terrestrial objects and even a dot (for me, on a whiteboard) didn't work so well for me.  I finally aimed through my window at night at a distant streetlight, which gave me a fairly nice pinpoint source to use.

For PA I don't bother anymore putting 0 at the top.  I just make sure the "clock" is as square up as possible, and pretend the numbers are what they should be.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics