•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Simple (stupid) polar alignment question

beginner Meade mount polar alignment SCT
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ewolfe67

ewolfe67

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:00 AM

My LDX55 mount (with Autostar) has a polar scope which I'm able to center Polaris in nicely. When I attach my SP-C8 with 25mm eyepiece to it Polaris is just out of view (too low). I can't bring it into view of the scope without slewing the RA pretty far off to the side and then adjusting the DEC a little. 

Questions: 

1. Should the scope and Telrad be viewing Polaris if the mount is perfectly aligned and the scope is zeroed out in DEC and RA?

2. Should that matter for beginning an Easy, 1 or 2 star alignment or is the scope aim taken care of during the next steps?

Thanks

#2 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:08 AM

If you have not done so, turn the power to the drive off. Then line everything up without moving the main scope.

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:16 AM

"My LDX55 mount (with Autostar) has a polar scope which I'm able to center Polaris in nicely."

I assume you mean Polaris is not centred, it's on its circle offset from centre, and at the correct clock position ?

1. At this point the scope is not pointing at Polaris, but at the NCP, so Polaris may be in the Telrad FOV but not central, and Polaris will be out of the FOV of the C8, and not necessarily too low, as Polaris position around the NCP depends on the time of day.

2. Polar Alignment is more to do with getting an accurate tracking of stars across the sky, not with accurate location of stars, which is what the Star Alignment is for.

#4 ewolfe67

ewolfe67

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

If you have not done so, turn the power to the drive off. Then line everything up without moving the main scope.

Yes. This is without power on. The mount is aimed at true north and DEC and RA are in home position. Polaris is visible (and yes, off-center) in my polar scope.

#5 ewolfe67

ewolfe67

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

"My LDX55 mount (with Autostar) has a polar scope which I'm able to center Polaris in nicely."

I assume you mean Polaris is not centred, it's on its circle offset from centre, and at the correct clock position ?

1. At this point the scope is not pointing at Polaris, but at the NCP, so Polaris may be in the Telrad FOV but not central, and Polaris will be out of the FOV of the C8, and not necessarily too low, as Polaris position around the NCP depends on the time of day.

2. Polar Alignment is more to do with getting an accurate tracking of stars across the sky, not with accurate location of stars, which is what the Star Alignment is for.

I guess that partially answers my question. I'm trying to set up both, tracking and location. So if I get my mount polar-aligned correctly but my scope isn't necessarily viewing Polaris, the alignment procedure will take care of the location part of the equation?

#6 jefffed

jefffed

Vostok 1

• Loc: N.E. PA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

Align your polar scope with the mount axis first. Instructions are in the manual

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, Meade, mount, polar alignment, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics