•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issues with Pipp

astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City Metro

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:29 AM

Hey everyone, I've been making my first few rounds of planetary astrophotography and I've been running into some issues. I just downloaded Pipp to process a couple of videos I got of Saturn with my smartphone through my telescope eyepiece. The issue is whenever I try to open a video (.mp4) in pipp, pipp will close. I've tried several different ways and always end up with the same result. I tried upload a .jpg to see what that would do and it also caused it to close out so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm using windows if that makes a difference.

Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Edited by Brelic, 31 October 2020 - 01:30 AM.

#2 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:37 AM

I haven't experienced this with PIPP so cannot help but perhaps VirtualDub will load the file and convert.

Peace...

#3 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:46 AM

Thank you I will try that program instead.

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#4 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:52 AM

However, the fact that PIPP crashes if you open any image signifies a problem.  PIPP works just fine for many of us, so something has gone awry here.  Perhaps uninstall, perform any available software updates on your computer, and then reinstall.  

#5 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:56 AM

That was my first idea, but even after reinstall, it still wouldn't work. I'll try to do more research though because it would be nice to have it work.

#6 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:30 PM

That was my first idea, but even after reinstall, it still wouldn't work. I'll try to do more research though because it would be nice to have it work.

That means you probably have problems with Windows, and that requires updating it, repairing it , or re-installing it altogether.

Taras

#7 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:45 PM

Or skip PIPP and try going straight to AutoStakkert. Just make sure you have ffmpeg in the executable folder.

AutoStakkert recognizes the filetype as MP4 and invokes ffmpeg to convert it to AVI on the fly before it processes.

#8 Brelic

Brelic

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2020 - 01:08 AM

Achernar - as far as I know my copy of windows works fine for everything expect for this.

RedLionNJ - Ok I will try that thank you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics