•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

October 19 2020 Observation Report

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:04 AM

Hi,

I want to share a wonderful observation session I had on October 19 2020.

Used my heavy gun - NMT 20"F/3.3, my Galaxy hunting scope and the only one I use on dark locations.

Its been exactly a year since I got this scope and it widens the scope of objects I can observe with it.

In the past 4 months I have developed an appetite for galaxy clusters. I love the navigation to them and within them and the challenge to identify individual members.

This time, I managed to observe two of them in detail: Abell 347 & Abell 426.

Of course the more standard objects like Orion, Rosset, M31 and the double cluster were also on the menu.

Abell 347 resides close to NGC 891, an bright spiral galaxy that acted as my initial star hopping anchor.

gallery_299831_14859_22054.jpg

The cluster itself is only about 30 arch minutes from 891 and after hopping with my 21mm eyepiece, I switched to the 8mm and gray smudges started to appear.  The galaxies in this cluster are spread unevenly. NGC 909, 906 & 911 are creating a bent line and so are UGC 1866, NGC 910 & 912.

The surprising object in this area was PGC 2186599, a galaxy with a magnitude of 16 which I cannot even see in SkySafari plus but does appear on the pro version.

I consulted with a fallow observer about this catch an he confirmed that he can spot it among the other galaxies.

gallery_299831_14859_43419.jpg

Next came a break with M31 and clusters in Cassiopeia to let my eyes rest a bit, but then I moved to my next big target of the night: Abell 426 in Perseus

gallery_299831_14859_7913.jpg

Here I had more trouble to lock on the cluster, but after taking a deep breath and more accurate star hopping from Algol - about 2 degrees below it, I was rewarded with this magnificent cluster.

Compared to Abell 347, this cluster is richer, with brighter galaxies. magnificent view which made identification of each galaxy a bit harder.

Perseus A, NGC 1272 & NGC 1278 are creating a close batch of galaxies and with them, NGC 12405 (which I neglected to write down in my log frown.gif )

Below this batch (flipped in the scope view), there is a fainter line of galaxies that stretches down and contains many other galaxies - I would say like Markarian's chain but less prominent of course.

gallery_299831_14859_23928.jpg

After this, I spend some time observing M42 (Orion nebula) which was a great view, with the Ethos 21mm which gave a very nice view of almost the entire main parts and than with Ethos 8mm which gave a magnificent zoom in on swirling clouds within the nebula.

I used both unfiltered view and the DGM NPB filter to emphasize the details.

While there, we took a shot at the Horsehead and were rewarded by wonderful Flame nebula and the faint disturbance in IC 434 which is the Horsehead itself. Had a better views of it in the past - we are in need of some winter rains to wash away the summer's dusty air and provide better observing conditions.

My last object was Rosset nebula, another huge and magnificent nebula. I did not spend too much time with it, it will wait for next month but as always, I got a very rewarding view.

My almost full objects list (dropping the big ones and the ones I neglected to log)

gallery_299831_14859_64975.jpg

• Inkswitch, KidOrion, The Ardent and 11 others like this

#2 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

Excellent work!

• ilan_shapira likes this

#3 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:03 PM

Nice report!

#4 flt158

flt158

Vanguard

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:10 PM

Sensational report from you, Ilan.

I see that there is an image of NGC 1275 (Perseus A) in Robert Burnham's Celestial Handbook Volume 3 page 1448. 

It truly is a remarkable galaxy - a strong powerful source of radio emission.

It is 300 million light years from us. 

And I am so glad you observed it with your 20" Dobsonian. 

Please give us more reports when you find the time. 

Thank you. 

Clear skies, 

Aubrey.

#5 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:03 PM

Sensational report from you, Ilan.

I see that there is an image of NGC 1275 (Perseus A) in Robert Burnham's Celestial Handbook Volume 3 page 1448. 

It truly is a remarkable galaxy - a strong powerful source of radio emission.

It is 300 million light years from us. 

And I am so glad you observed it with your 20" Dobsonian. 

Please give us more reports when you find the time. 

Thank you. 

Clear skies, 

Aubrey.

Thanks!

The entire surrounding of NGC 1275 is magnificent to observe. Now that I found this cluster and identified some of its members, I hope to return to it on my next session and give NGC 1275 more attention.

I will gladly share more reports. Thanks for reading 

• flt158 likes this

#6 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

And I spent months just trying to see NGC.891, as I was trying to see everything in Astronomy's 100 Best Deep Sky Objects. And I could never see it with my current scope from this backyard. To you know how much jealousy your report has caused here? Do YOU??? LOL Well, If I had a Dark Sky site & a 20 inch scope I guess I could bag that. Sounds like a really great time observing!

Clear Skies,

Matt

#7 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2020 - 01:26 AM

And I spent months just trying to see NGC.891, as I was trying to see everything in Astronomy's 100 Best Deep Sky Objects. And I could never see it with my current scope from this backyard. To you know how much jealousy your report has caused here? Do YOU??? LOL Well, If I had a Dark Sky site & a 20 inch scope I guess I could bag that. Sounds like a really great time observing!

Clear Skies,

Matt

Apologies Matt :) 

NGC 891 is indeed a fantastic galaxy which I neglected to point out beside its role in my star hopping. It is indeed wonderful object to observe.

The crossing dust path is clearly visible and with some careful look the galaxy is bigger then it seams at first. The center bulge is also clear.

I did not now of the "Astronomy's 100 Best Deep Sky Objects", there are too many lists, but it is indeed a must see object.

I don't think it requires a big scope, but it does require a dark location

• flt158 likes this

#8 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 01 November 2020 - 09:18 AM

I love DSO reports smile.gif , thanks .

#9 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:00 PM

Yes, darker than my blasted backyard, that is for sure. Well, I'm going to have the aperture soon, but will be shopping a bit for a place not far from home, but a just a bit darker than here in the 'burbs.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#10 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:03 PM

From my back yard, nothing beyond the brightest objects are visible (Bortle 8) Aperture or not.

I drive 2.5 hours in every direction once a month to a Bortle 3 location for these observations

#11 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 November 2020 - 07:45 PM

BTW, Astronomy's 100 best DSO's was a limited edition magazine put out in 08 or 09, forgot which. I wasn't even hoping for details, just to be able to see the darn thing as a thin streak or something similar in my mind. Well, maybe the next time I take the 8 inch down to Ft. Davis, I'll give it a try down THERE. LOL

Clear Skies,

Matt

#12 Franta

Franta

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 05 November 2020 - 12:29 PM

This must have been a beautiful observation! Thank you for sharing. The galaxy clusters Abell 347 and Abell 426 (particularly this one) are my popular objects.

#13 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2020 - 01:59 PM

This must have been a beautiful observation! Thank you for sharing. The galaxy clusters Abell 347 and Abell 426 (particularly this one) are my popular objects.

Thanks!

Abell 426 is indeed special. I hope that now that we had rain to wash the summer's dust, I will be able to observe it again from my dark location.

This time I plan to go with a printed map to better log my sighting there. Fingers cross for the weather :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics