•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which classic scope gets used less

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:18 AM

Does any body have a classic scope that they wanted so bad, then just let it sit around, and never get used, but would never sell it because they always wanted it real bad. I don't, but in some of your signatures, you have many scopes, and I do not see how all of them could get used.

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:31 AM

I always wanted a classic brass 3" refractor on a "pillar and claw" stand.  I managed to find one going cheap in a seudo antique (junk) shop about 40 years ago.  To date, I've not yet tried it astronomically although it gives a good terrestrial image.   

• steve t likes this

#3 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:43 AM

I bought a 15.5" 1959 vintage Fecker cassegrain from a Canadian university, brought it home to NH set it up for a while. Then took it down for repainting. I haven't reassembled it in almost a decade. Just too massive. :>(

Attached Thumbnails

• feckerho.jpg

Edited by pbealo, 31 October 2020 - 06:44 AM.

• astro140, steve t, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#4 Huntin Dawg

Huntin Dawg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio, Carroll Co

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:39 AM

I have two EQ refractors that fall into that category.  One is a Pentax 60 and the other is a Jason (Towa) 80.  The Jason is a 1967 vintage and I found it literally "sealed and new in the box" two years ago.  I had a great time unboxing and assembling a telescope that was brand new and as old as me!!

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 mdowns

mdowns

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

I bought a 15.5" 1959 vintage Fecker cassegrain from a Canadian university, brought it home to NH set it up for a while. Then took it down for repainting. I haven't reassembled it in almost a decade. Just too massive. :>(

say it aint' so

• steve t and icomet like this

#6 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

Don't worry: I have a c-14, a 94mm APO and an 80mm APO now running in the observatory!

The 15.5" took ALL of the observatory.

I also have a 12" Fecker cass in renovation now that will likely be house in the garage on wheels.

http://www.chachka.net/pgt2.htm

Peter

PS: The guy in the top image is NOT me, its the former "owner" at Monrovian College.

• steve t, mdowns and Defenderslideguitar like this

#7 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

My 1956 Nippon Kogaku 50mm is in such excellent condition and so rare, I'm very reluctant to take it out to use for fear of banging it up.  But it is a fantastic scope.

NK50.JPG

• photiost, clamchip, steve t and 8 others like this

#8 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:34 AM

At least it is safe and sound. That thing is cool!

#9 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:32 PM

I rarely use my antique Mogey 3" F14...

Mogey 3 - Prism Diagonal S12.jpg

I'm not really afraid of damaging it.  But I did spend over a year restoring it; and a bit longer collecting antique accessories to use with it, including a funky prism diagonal with a very brittle prism -- apparently it gets edge chips easily.  The main issue:  Haven't found hinged rings that'll fit it, which means taking the whole kit outside -- and I do have concerns about the c. 1885 MacKenzie (London) mount & tripod (Burmese rather than Malay / Philippines mahogany).  It'd be my luck to gouge / crack a leg!

• Adam S, pbealo, photiost and 6 others like this

#10 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:56 AM

Does any body have a classic scope that they wanted so bad, then just let it sit around, and never get used, but would never sell it because they always wanted it real bad. I don't, but in some of your signatures, you have many scopes, and I do not see how all of them could get used.

In a word, No. I’ve had those dream scopes, and still have a couple (that I love to use). The others have moved on. If I don’t use it, I loose it.

• pbealo, steve t, John Higbee and 2 others like this

#11 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Explorer 1

• Loc: Pa.

Posted 01 November 2020 - 12:04 PM

I have an ETX-60, 70, 80, 90 and 125, three RV6s, a C8,a C6R on an AVX mount, and a Meade 10” SN on an LXD55 mount and don’t use any of them.....

Edited by 1939Dodge, 01 November 2020 - 01:22 PM.

#12 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 01 November 2020 - 12:20 PM

the antiques

used rarely (but once in a while used)

the speculum metal one controlled by weather conditions cause its speculum

dollond2inchf15.jpg

greginaction.jpg

• steve t, mdowns, ANM and 2 others like this

#13 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 02:05 PM

Since I got the Pentax 85, the Unitron 142 only goes out for observing evenings with the class. Although I like its mount better, it's an early one with fixed rings that are too small for the 85 (whose tube is sized the same as a 100). When the 80mm ATCO isn't out on loan, I like to put it on the 142 mount.

Chip W. 

• steve t and Bonco2 like this

#14 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 01 November 2020 - 02:09 PM

Of my 20 telescopes three have never been used. One of them needs work before it's usable. Three more scopes haven't been used in quite sometime. One of those is currently ready to go back together for use, the second needs some service, and the third is at another location that makes it difficult to use. As for the majority, putting them in a somewhat random rotation makes it fairly easy for them to see use.

While some of them are more or less to collect, I enjoy working on them as much as using them.... But, they all need to be useable and perform well.

If you have only 1 scope or 100, all that matters is if you're happy.

Edited by Kasmos, 01 November 2020 - 06:47 PM.

• DreamWeaver, steve t, PawPaw and 3 others like this

#15 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 02 November 2020 - 10:43 AM

60mm F20 Goto 104. Hard to set up and cumbersome. It's a 60mm, so it's not very bis and has a small FOV. Saving grace is good images when collimated. Did I mention the scope has to be perfectly collimated to deliver good images due to a very odd lens design. Needs to be tweaked most of the time.

Marc

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#16 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:33 PM

My 1981 ATM 6" F/8 Newtonian has become my least used scope since completing my ATM 4" F/10 Newtonian.

The light weight and quick cooldown of the 4" has won me over. It's nice to be able to take the the assembled scope out in one trip and be ready to observe in 15 minutes.

• icomet, Terra Nova, Bonco2 and 2 others like this

#17 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:25 PM

If I had to guess which classic scope gets used least I would say any surviving "early" refractors which Galileo himself built and are display in a museum (somewhere in Italy?).

Hey, it makes sense to me!

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:55 PM

For me, it’s my last Unitron (mid ‘50s) model 114 and my Swift 839. They are just redundant so maybe get out once a year at most. If I’m going to use a 60mm it’s always my Mayflower 814 or my Takahashi FC-60. They are smaller, both on excellent mounts, have exquisite optics, and are already set up in two corners of the dining room ready to go out. I also have a Meade 395 90mm F11 in a Unitron cabinet stored under a bed that has only been out briefly once. I’m thinking of moving in a year or so and will need to get these sold before hand. Redundant, unused stuff is a waste of space.

• Spyke, steve t, grif 678 and 1 other like this

#19 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:10 PM

It's definitely my Criterion Dynascope RV6. I use it very little as it waits for a mirror recoat and some work on the mount. The telescope works and even with the mirror as it is the images are very good. Is a project waiting to happen as soon as the COVID vaccine is in and I cam move more freely. Here it is on its last night out.

Attached Thumbnails

• CriterionRV6Night.JPG

• steve t, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#20 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:55 PM

For me, it’s my last Unitron (mid ‘50s) model 114 and my Swift 839. They are just redundant so maybe get out once a year at most. If I’m going to use a 60mm it’s always my Mayflower 814 or my Takahashi FC-60. They are smaller, both on excellent mounts, have exquisite optics, and are already set up in two corners of the dining room ready to go out. I also have a Meade 395 90mm F11 in a Unitron cabinet stored under a bed that has only been out briefly once. I’m thinking of moving in a year or so and will need to get these sold before hand. Redundant, unused stuff is a waste of space.

Upon reconsideration, the Meade 395 and Swift 839 will be going, but the Unitron 114 will remain. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to realize the dream of ‘imagining myself at the controls of a Unitron!’ ;)

• pbealo, Lewis Cason, steve t and 4 others like this

#21 Ken Launie

Ken Launie

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 November 2020 - 05:05 PM

If I had to guess which classic scope gets used least I would say any surviving "early" refractors which Galileo himself built and are display in a museum (somewhere in Italy?).

Hey, it makes sense to me!

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

That is certainly logical, but believe it or not, in Kassel, Germany, at the palace and museum of the ruler of the Hesse region of Germany, is a spectacular setup with a row of a dozen or so early telescopes looking out over a wide expanse of the estate, aiming at various statues and points of interest. Among them are a half dozen or so telescopes from the early 1600's that are just behind a plexiglass shield that can be looked through directly. There are others from as late as the 19th century as well, but it's impressive how clear the view was through the nearly 400 year old optics. The museum has an astonishing collection of scientific instruments and telescopes owned by successive generations of Hessian rulers. As an aside, some of their wealth came from providing mercenaries for others, including the British in North America. Regrettably it's currently closed due to the pandemic, but here's a link for future reference:

https://museum-kasse...e-park/orangery

• steve t, Ruimteman, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#22 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:20 PM

when I was a wee lad  back in 1968 I wanted a Selsi  telescope so bad... my dad knew a local dealer who had a 40x 60mm acromat and I got that for Christmas... just in time for the moon landing in 1969.   After that first  year, I packed it away, and until last year never looked through it. And even then just a couple times since. It sits in my observatory along with my Meade LXD55 10in SN...

I really love the scope,  yes it's small,  but the memories  I have of that first year, and that Chistmas I got it... I just cant give it up. 

The Meade I use occasionally. Special occasions when I have guests.

Stevegeo 

• steve t, Terra Nova, Piggyback and 1 other like this

#23 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:02 PM

I'm not a big collector like many others here, but my two current scopes are the early 90's white C5 and my mid 80's Vixen 90M.

I so much wanted to get that Vixen cause it was just one of my longest dreams in my childhood, but the C5's just the one I always pick, as I prefer the looks it gives to me (brighter, no false color) and it's also so easy to handle. In the end, I'm a casual observer and watch mostly the Moon and planets and that's exactly where the relatively short f/l Vixen can't excel.

I know I'll always need a classic refractor, can't get over that childhood dream, but I'm seriously considering to downgrade from the Vixen to a Towa/Tasco 80 or something that would be a bit lighter (though the mount is less sturdy than the Vixen SP, of course) and it would be just more "vintage" with .965" only eyepieces etc. That way, the user experience would be much more different between the two scopes for me.

Thomas

Edited by memento, 16 November 2020 - 06:11 PM.

• steve t and Piggyback like this

#24 RichA

RichA

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:57 AM

I knew one guy who bought a TeleVue Renaissance and refused to take it out to use it out of fear of hurting the tube. 

#25 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:06 AM

I knew one guy who bought a TeleVue Renaissance and refused to take it out to use it out of fear of hurting the tube. 

is it displayed at least? or is it also pristine in the box?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics