•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question on PHD2 "Connect Equipment/Mount" with Vixen Starbook 10

beginner astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Neilstar

Neilstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

Hi All,

I have a newbie question.  Here's the equipment that I'm using

- Vixen SXD2 with Starbook 10

- ZO ASI 120 MM Guide camera

- PHD2 on a Macbook Pro for guiding

I am trying to configure PHD2 in the wizard but I don't know what to select for my setup in the "Connect Equipment/Mount" section.   The ASI 120 is connected to the Mac via USB and the camera is connected to the AG port on Starbook 10.

The choices are

EQ Mac

Equinox 6

GC USB ST$

GP USB

INDI Mount

On-AO

On Camera

Despite internet searches I have no idea what these names mean or what to select for my Vixen SXD 2 Starbook 10 combination.

The good news is that when I click the "connect" the ASI camera is recognized and connected... but I'm stuck on the right choice for PHD2 to work with Starbook 10.

I'd really appreciate any guidance!

thanks

Neil

Edited by Neilstar, 31 October 2020 - 03:16 PM.

#2 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

I recently contacted Vixen to inquire about using SB10 with ASCOM programs (including PHD2). This was their response:

“It is ASCOM compliant. PHD2 is not recommended, as we have had much trouble with this software in the past.”

#3 Neilstar

Neilstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

I recently contacted Vixen to inquire about using SB10 with ASCOM programs (including PHD2). This was their response:

“It is ASCOM compliant. PHD2 is not recommended, as we have had much trouble with this software in the past.”

Maybe ASI AIR might be a better way to go?  Have you considered any other solutions for guiding aside from the Vixen SB 10 advanced unit which is now discontinued?

#4 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:51 PM

Maybe ASI AIR might be a better way to go? Have you considered any other solutions for guiding aside from the Vixen SB 10 advanced unit which is now discontinued?

My inquire to Vixen was based on the fact that I was considering purchasing a Vixen SXP Mount. That being said, after their reply I decided to go with the SW EQ6-R pro mount which is definitely not at the same league but at least I don’t have to worry about the SB10 not working properly with certain ASCOM programs.

So I never got to try the SB10....

#5 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:12 PM

You need to get and install the ASCOM driver for your mount.  It should then show up in the "Connect Equipment/Mount" menu, and that's what you would select.

Edited by kathyastro, 31 October 2020 - 04:12 PM.

• Neilstar likes this

#6 Neilstar

Neilstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

My inquire to Vixen was based on the fact that I was considering purchasing a Vixen SXP Mount. That being said, after their reply I decided to go with the SW EQ6-R pro mount which is definitely not at the same league but at least I don’t have to worry about the SB10 not working properly with certain ASCOM programs.

So I never got to try the SB10....

understood, I love SB10 for the visual stuff, and the mount is awesome, but I knew that guiding would probably be an entirely different solution. SB 10 is certified with ASI AIR so maybe that's the way to go

#7 Neilstar

Neilstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:14 PM

You need to get and install the ASCOM driver for your mount.  It should then show up in the "Connect Equipment/Mount" menu, and that's what you would select.

Ok I'll try that first!  thanks

#8 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:18 PM

understood, I love SB10 for the visual stuff, and the mount is awesome, but I knew that guiding would probably be an entirely different solution. SB 10 is certified with ASI AIR so maybe that's the way to go

I hope you get the SB10 to work with PHD2 guiding. Please report back 😉

Cheers

#9 Neilstar

Neilstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:06 PM

I hope you get the SB10 to work with PHD2 guiding. Please report back

Cheers

Yes I will give it a try and report back to this thread.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics