•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ever spot anything moving while looking through a scope?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted Today, 07:48 AM

I've seen 2-3 telescopic meteors over the past couple of years.  Not very bright but they flashed through my FOV so fast that I had a split second of, "WTH was that?"

#77 Jacob112

Jacob112

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 08:05 AM

Usually, the only moving objects I see through my telescope are satellites, but once, I managed to see an asteroid. It was amazing experience, and I tried to track the movement of asteroids to see any once again, but all my attempts failed. 

#78 CowTipton

CowTipton

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted Today, 01:58 PM

I was trying to find Mirach (and Mirach's ghost) the other day and snapped a few photos with my phone mounted to the eyepiece.

What I really captured was what appeared to be a satellite moving in the opposite direction of the field (earth's rotation.)

Quoting myself.

Here's the .gif I made of the snapshots.

Mirach is the bright star of course.

Mirach's ghost is the galaxy (faint smudge) below the star and slightly to the left.

Above the star is what I assume was a satellite which was not moving along with the field of stars (right to left.

mirach

)

#79 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted Today, 02:05 PM

Quoting myself.

Here's the .gif I made of the snapshots.

Mirach is the bright star of course.

Mirach's ghost is the galaxy (faint smudge) below the star and slightly to the left.

Above the star is what I assume was a satellite which was not moving along with the field of stars (right to left.

)

Not geosynchronous because it was moving relative to the field, but obviously a satellite--a faint one, too.

• CowTipton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics