•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

DSC on a binocular mount?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2004 - 03:21 AM

Probably a stupid idea but... Is it possible to mount a DSC on a parallelogram binocular mount? Has anyone done it, or seen it done?

The major problem would be the rigidity and accuracy of the parallelogram portion of the mount. But something like the Unimount Millenium might be good enough, especially if you're only using low power. What do you think?

If it's possible then it opens up the intriguing possibility of using a parallelogram mount on a telescope. It would be a perfect mount for, say, an 8" SCT with binoviewer. (I'm guessing the combination would be difficult to use without a DSC because of the narrow field of view.)

#2 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:42 AM

Digital setting circle equipped mounts document movement in two directions - right ascension and declination if an equatorial mount, and altitude and azimuth if an alt-azimuth mount. With the later type, the altitude and azimuth movement is converted to right ascension and declination coordinates for your target.

With a parallelogram mount, your azimuth pivot is relatively small on virtually all that I have seen. I believe this would tend to make the encoder accuracy somewhat difficult as it would be working with a small rotational arc. The primary pivot position in altitude is also small so that reading would face the same obstacles.

In addition you have other movements with a parallelogram mount specifically to give the binoculars more freedom of movement. Those movements would have to be "locked out" to make the digital setting circles viable.

One binocular option would be the "Light Speed Wagon". It is a large alt-azimuth mount capable of handling payloads up to 60 lbs. It has digital setting circles and the encoders are 8000+ step units. It works very well with my 20x100 Miyauchi binoculars. See photo.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• 101008-P9101922.JPG

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2004 - 01:04 AM

Hey stop showing off your Lightspeed Wagon! ;) I want one but it's no longer in production and used ones are going for more than the original price. :smash:

Anyway my point was that a DSC combined with a height-adjustable mount might be useful. I guess if I give up the parallelogram part there are other options too, like the Unistar and the Vixen HF (aka Orion fork mount).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics