•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Saturn to collide this year!

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#151 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:02 AM

Hey,

There are some nice images of the conjunction posted here.  waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

It was overcast at my place on the 21st but we had clearing yesterday evening so I took some pictures from my upstairs porch again (after waiting for clouds to move that were exactly in front of the planets).  My wife Judy could see the separation with the unaided eye but my eyes weren't good enough--it looked like a big, bright star to me.

I've attached two pics--one is a widefield and the other is a little zoomed in.  I'm going to compile the 5 widefield pics I took--probably have some time when this next storm comes through--to see the closing separation (but there will be a big jump between the 15th and the 22nd, lol).

After they went behind the trees from the vantage point of my porch, I went down my lane with the 12x36 image stabilized binoculars to a place where I could still see them but they were sinking fast.  I made a quick and dirty field sketch but I haven't scanned it yet.

Pretty cool thing to see--I'm grateful the clouds parted and allowed the view.

Click on the pics for the best view.

Canon T5i, 27mm f/4, 2s, ISO 200

Jup_Sat_conj_2020.12.22_v1.jpg

Canon T5i, 55mm f/5.6, 4s, ISO 200

Jup_Sat_conj_2020.12.22_55mm_v2.jpg

Edited by Special Ed, 23 December 2020 - 10:04 AM.

• frank5817, Illinois, payner and 7 others like this

#152 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:15 PM

Well, last night was better than the 21st. because of no wind and good stable skies. Also milder, 50's out. Really pretty sight against a deep blue sky around 6pm.

I had my C102 out in my front yard. Could not use my other bigger scopes because of back problems. But at f/1000 I could still get pretty good magnification for them. I first used my Baader 8-24mm zoom to see how much magnification I could use on them and still have a clear image as they where low in the sky. It looked like 80x was the best magnification under the sky conditions. This is an ideal eyepiece for observing planets, just dial in the best views and enjoy.

Next up, I wanted to try my binoviewer with a pair of Brandon 16mm. Perfect fit! The framing was just right and both images where sharp. Saturn almost looked 3d sometimes, just floating left of Jupiter! Fantastic sight, stayed the longest with this set - up. I couldn't take my eyes away, it was so breathtaking, a memory for life. As it continued to go lower, I switched over to mono with my N T6 13mm, 82* FOV. Nice wide view of the planets and about a dozen stars in the field. Now getting real low and close to a roof top, I need to back off the magnification a little to still see a clear image. Now in goes the N 19mm Pan.This EP gives me me amazing sharpness and contrast with a very comfortable 68* FOV. 

Well, now it's getting to low in the sky about 6:30pm and wrapped it up. An unforgettable evening!

I hope others had good skies as I did and will check it out in a few days. We have rain for tommorrow, but it's clear and cold for the weekend, 30's and 40's daytime!

Happy Holidays all and clear skies!

Bob

• Special Ed and flt158 like this

#153 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:41 PM

Please see the three posts (31-32-33) starting with this one for my adventures last night 12-22-20 and the conjunction! Obviously visual was much more stunning, but these are pretty good since I modified with polarizing filters to improve the iPhone performance !

https://www.cloudyni...ere/?p=10751037

#154 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:38 PM

The weather on the day of the conjunction turned out to be absolutely perfect in the Denver Metro area.  I had been going out to my spot (Daniels Park) for the 5 days prior to the "big day" and the weather had been cold and windy but on the day that counted it was ideal.  Also on those prior days I had my spot to myself but on the 21st it looked like the closing scene from "Field of Dreams" with the cars lined up trying to get into the parking lot.  I had figured this would probably happen so I got to my spot early to stake my claim and it was a good thing I did.

I set up my TSA120 refractor and had another camera set up on a tripod. Another member of our local astronomy club set up close by with a C11 and an 80mm triplet.

My friend and I were the only ones with telescopes so of course everyone there wanted to take a peek and asked numerous questions about the celestial event and our equipment.  I had a flip mirror attached to the back of my scope so it was an easy matter to take a few pictures and then switch to the eyepiece view and let a few people take a peek.

I think the news media really over-hyped this event and raised the expectations of most people who were expecting a blindingly bright beacon from Heaven.  I do think it looked more impressive earlier in the week when they were higher in the sky albeit a bit further apart.

Jup-Saturn 45mm PL5 12-21-20 024 edit small.jpg

Jup-Saturn 120mm M10 mkii 12-21-20 055g edit small.jpg

Edited by ssmith, 23 December 2020 - 04:38 PM.

• Special Ed, SabiaJD, frank5817 and 9 others like this

#155 The Mad One

The Mad One

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2020 - 05:08 PM

I was covered up here on the 21st, overcast cloudy until long after Jupiter & Saturn had sunk below the horizon...  BUT!  I did make a run at it on the 22nd, had about 25 minutes of available acceptable sky conditions before they got too low on my available horizon to shoot any more images.  I did a total of 8 runs of 60 seconds each with my QHYIII462c and Skywatcher 12" Quattro Newtonian.  The image below is the "most acceptable" run of the bunch" aligned, stacked and processed.  A day late with time short!!

Jup-Sat_12222020_462c.png

• Special Ed, frank5817, EverlastingSky and 10 others like this

#156 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 December 2020 - 05:42 PM

The weather on the day of the conjunction turned out to be absolutely perfect in the Denver Metro area.  I had been going out to my spot (Daniels Park) for the 5 days prior to the "big day" and the weather had been cold and windy but on the day that counted it was ideal.  Also on those prior days I had my spot to myself but on the 21st it looked like the closing scene from "Field of Dreams" with the cars lined up trying to get into the parking lot.  I had figured this would probably happen so I got to my spot early to stake my claim and it was a good thing I did.

I set up my TSA120 refractor and had another camera set up on a tripod. Another member of our local astronomy club set up close by with a C11 and an 80mm triplet.

My friend and I were the only ones with telescopes so of course everyone there wanted to take a peek and asked numerous questions about the celestial event and our equipment.  I had a flip mirror attached to the back of my scope so it was an easy matter to take a few pictures and then switch to the eyepiece view and let a few people take a peek.

I think the news media really over-hyped this event and raised the expectations of most people who were expecting a blindingly bright beacon from Heaven.  I do think it looked more impressive earlier in the week when they were higher in the sky albeit a bit further apart.

attachicon.gifJup-Saturn 45mm PL5 12-21-20 024 edit small.jpg

attachicon.gifJup-Saturn 120mm M10 mkii 12-21-20 055g edit small.jpg

My view had the opposite arrangement in my 102 refractor. Jupiter was to the right and Saturn. I would use Jupiters moons to get the best focus for both planets. Much sharper images last night without all the wind we had on Monday.

• astro rocketeer likes this

#157 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:36 PM

Very nice pic Mad One, got all 4 Jovian moons & a very clear view of Saturn's Rings. Even if its technically 24 hrs after the BIG Event, that is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#158 John_Moore

John_Moore

Author: Craters of the Nearside Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:47 AM

You might think that mention of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) would mean just lunar imagery alone, however, the spacecraft did, in this case, take a shot of the conjunction here. They're not the best of shots from the Narrow Angle Camera onboard, but, still, worth noting for the record.

John Moore

Edited by John_Moore, 24 December 2020 - 05:48 AM.

• Special Ed and astro rocketeer like this

#159 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

Very nice pics, however, it seemed to miss the moons to both Saturn & Jupiter. I suppose the glare from Luna actually was drowning them out a bit. Like what happened to stars near the horizon of Astronaut pictures.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#160 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:32 PM

Monday the 21st was clouded out. But Tuesday and Wednesday, the 22nd and 23rd, were clear and was able to get in two extraordinary visual viewing sessions of the event. TEC140, Leica mirror binoviewer straight through, 7mm Delites at 140x yielded the usual memorable images, very much like The Mad One's image above, despite somewhat low altitude. Seeing 5(6)/10 with Cassini clearly at ansae and Jovian belts etc,.

Really cool to see these two planets in one field of view at my usual most used magnification of 140x shocked.gif  

The afocal picture was taken as an afterthought through an accompanying TV60 at 120x on the 23rd.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg

• Special Ed and flt158 like this

#161 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 25 December 2020 - 12:15 AM

Following on from my previous post, here are some pics from the 21st. All I did was use a phone attached to the scope with a Celestron NexYZ. I'm no astrophotographer in any sense. Seeing was very turbulent, even visually I could only barely see Jupiter's two main belts. In good seeing with the planets at any decent elevation, this scope throws up razor sharp images even at 200x plus. 

gueHugA.jpg

Couple of point n shoot pics from a digital camera

OKG3eqR.jpg

9AXZdz4.jpg

From the scope. 130mm F/5 Newt, 4mm Delite for 162x, field stop for context

bWagjdC.jpg

Can just barely see Titan at the 11 o'clock position from Saturn. Hint - use averted vision 

mHeK0B8.jpg

VjymUYt.jpg

tAZp1XO.jpg

Can just about see a belt on Jupiter here

ziAiIJr.jpg

A couple of shots from the 22nd aswell. 

dpS8esJ.jpg

Nearly fell of my chair when I saw this creepy UFO upon uploading this pic to my computer

Ax7Toi4.jpg

*nah just a departing aircraft

Edited by HellsKitchen, 25 December 2020 - 11:46 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed, payner and 5 others like this

#162 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:54 PM

Here's an iPhone shot that I took on Tuesday evening.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter and Saturn iPhone 12-22-20 IMG_0308 Processed.jpg

• Special Ed, chrysalis, flt158 and 1 other like this

#163 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:59 PM

I observed Jupiter and Saturn again on Wednesday evening from the same location under a partly to mostly cloudy sky with Canon IS 15x50s and my 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue refractor at magnifications of 18, 77, 90, 108, 135, and 180x.  The two gas giants were about 15 arc minutes apart at the time and just barely fit into the true field of view of my 3-6mm Nagler zoom eyepiece at the 3mm setting (180x).

My wife took the first photo in this post with her new iPhone.  It shows Jupiter to the left of a dark triangular cloud near the center of the image.  

I've included a screen capture from Stellarium that displays the positions of Jupiter and Saturn at 5:45 p.m. EST.

Attached Thumbnails

• Shepherdstown 12-23-20  Jupiter Maura iPhone IMG-2603 Processed.jpg
  • Shepherdstown 12-23-20 101mm Tele Vue Reprocessed CN.jpg
  • Jupiter and Saturn Close-Up Stellarium 12-23-20 Reprocessed.jpg

• SabiaJD, chrysalis and flt158 like this

#164 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 25 December 2020 - 11:02 PM

(continued)

I snapped a few hand-held afocal shots of Jupiter and Saturn through the refractor with my iPhone.

Attached Thumbnails

• Shepherdstown 12-23-20 Jupiter and Saturn 101mm TV 30mm IMG_0350 Processed Rotated Flipped.jpg
  • Shepherdstown 12-23-20 Jupiter and Saturn 101mm TV IMG_0337 Processed Cropped Rotated.jpg

• Special Ed, SabiaJD, chrysalis and 1 other like this

#165 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 27 December 2020 - 11:50 PM

I traveled to a location with an excellent western view and observed Jupiter and Saturn with Canon IS 15x50s and a 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue refractor at magnifications of 18, 77, 90, and 108x on Sunday evening.  The two gas giant planets were at an altitude of approximately 9 degrees at 5:45 p.m. EST.  Jupiter and Saturn were separated by about 40 arc minutes and easily fit into the 64 arc minute true field of view produced by a 7mm Tele Vue Nagler Type 6 (77x).  I was able to see the Galilean satellites but not Titan.

I also looked at the rising gibbous Moon, noting the craters Aristarchus, Copernicus, Plato, and Tycho, and Mars with the 15x50s and the refractor.

Here are some of the iPhone photographs that I took and two screen captures from Stellarium.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter and Saturn and 101mm Tele Vue IMG_0476 Processed CN.jpg
  • Jupiter and Saturn Afocal 101mm Tele Vue 30mm Celestron Ultima IMG_0465 Processed Flipped Horizontally Cropped.jpg
  • Jupiter and Saturn Stellarium 12-27-20 Reprocessed Resized 1100 CN.jpg

• REC, chrysalis, flt158 and 1 other like this

#166 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 28 December 2020 - 12:04 AM

(continued)

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter and Saturn Close-Up Stellarium 12-27-20.jpg
  • Jupiter and Saturn 12-27-20 IMG_0500 Processed CN.jpg
  • Jupiter and Saturn 12-27-20 IMG_0501.jpg

• REC, chrysalis, flt158 and 1 other like this

#167 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:23 AM

(continued)

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter and Saturn Tele Vue 101mm 12-27-20 IMG_0524 Processed CN.jpg

• Special Ed, chrysalis, flt158 and 1 other like this

#168 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:12 AM

I put together a gif of the images I made from my porch between Dec. 9th and Dec. 22nd.  There's a big gap between the 15th and the 22nd due to a week of bad weather.  The planets jump around a little in the animation but you can tell they are closing.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• chrysalis, flt158 and csphere.d like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics