•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion ST80 is back

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#301 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 40°28'36.8"N 75°12'30.5"W

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:05 PM

So maybe I should sell the ST80?  Nope, it's smaller and lighter than the ST120.  See, there's always a reason to keep scopes that still work.

Mike

I am glad that I am not the only person with the sickness, but I do generally sell on scopes that I realize I'm not going to use or fill duplicate roles.

#302 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

Got a real diagonal today over the cheap 45 degree diagonal.  Sure can tell a diff. This is a very sharp ST80 vs my last one.

Moons still looks good with a 4mm.  M 37 looks like NCG 2158 would in a bigger scope.  I may just go with a 2" focuser.

• Sarkikos and BFaucett like this

#303 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

ST80s rock - for the price.

#304 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

ST80s rock - for the price.

Indeed.  Especially if you buy them used.  I bought mine for less than $50, and found another one locally on Craigslist just yesterday also for $50.  No, I didn't buy the second one... but I kinda want to...

• sportsmed likes this

#305 MarcAshton

MarcAshton

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Virginia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

Is it worth waiting for the ST80-A to come back into stock in late February or would you say just get the ST-80-T next week when it comes into stock? 

Basically for my sanity, I'm asking which package is "better" given the accessories they come with, recognizing the scope is still the same regardless. 

I could get the OTA today, but then I have to get the finder scope, rings, 90 degree star diagonal, and eyepieces (although eyepieces aren't a deal breaker as I have some from my newt I can use) Which then puts the darn thing at over $230 vs. the $179 packaged price of the ST80-A. 

Been trying to get used, but not fast enough to catch one before it sells when they are listed and forum rules prevent me from even posting a wanted ad frown.gif so that method is out as well. Nothing local or ebay either. There is the GSkyer 80 AZ on amazon (warehouse has one in stock), but I don't want or need the tripod or phone adapter. 

#306 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:40 PM

Is it worth waiting for the ST80-A to come back into stock in late February or would you say just get the ST-80-T next week when it comes into stock? 

Basically for my sanity, I'm asking which package is "better" given the accessories they come with, recognizing the scope is still the same regardless. 

I could get the OTA today, but then I have to get the finder scope, rings, 90 degree star diagonal, and eyepieces (although eyepieces aren't a deal breaker as I have some from my newt I can use) Which then puts the darn thing at over $230 vs. the $179 packaged price of the ST80-A. 

Been trying to get used, but not fast enough to catch one before it sells when they are listed and forum rules prevent me from even posting a wanted ad frown.gif so that method is out as well. Nothing local or ebay either. There is the GSkyer 80 AZ on amazon (warehouse has one in stock), but I don't want or need the tripod or phone adapter. 

If you can wait for the A (astronomy) version, that would be better. I have the T (terrestrial) version, and the accessories are not as good for astronomy. The scope is the same, but rings don't fit too well on the T version because of the dovetail bar.

#307 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:08 PM

The A version is worth the wait.

#308 sportsmed

sportsmed

Ranger 4

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:23 AM

I have the Celestron ST80 and really like it for the price, I got mine used with extras for under $100. Its not a good scope for planetary but for wide field views its great. Plus I really like how light and portable it is. I keep it in a backpack and it makes for a great little grab n go scope. At some point when I get into AP i will probably use it for double duty as a guider.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#309 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:10 AM

I passed on the Celestron because it uses a single 1/4-20 bolt to secure the OTA.  I went ahead and ordered an Orion Versago II for it.  Hope to get it soon.  Seems perfect for the ST80.  The others you mention I have no experience with.

A single 1/4-20 bolt is far more than adequate to support a 3 pound scope.  The yield strength of a 1/4-20 bolt of reasonable quality (grade 5) is 3800 pounds, the proof strength is 2700 lbs.  

https://elginfastene...rengths-part-1/

Jon

#310 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:25 PM

A single 1/4-20 bolt is far more than adequate to support a 3 pound scope.  The yield strength of a 1/4-20 bolt of reasonable quality (grade 5) is 3800 pounds, the proof strength is 2700 lbs.  

https://elginfastene...rengths-part-1/

Jon

Back when I used to rock climb we would refer to 1/4 inch bolts as "coffin pins" because they were used to bolt climbing routes back in the 1970s and had a reputation of occasionally failing under a fall.  But I agree they should be plenty strong to hold a telescope to a mount. My ST-80 clone that has the stock the 1.25" focuser is supported by a single 1/4 inch bolt attached to a camera shoe on a fluid head video mount.  Works fine.

My other ST-80 clone has a two inch focuser and I routinely use heavy two inch eyepieces, so I would want two bolts . . . not because of the strength of the bolts, but just to have two solid points of contact to keep the scope from rotating where it shouldn't.

• kksmith likes this

#311 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:58 AM

Back when I used to rock climb we would refer to 1/4 inch bolts as "coffin pins" because they were used to bolt climbing routes back in the 1970s and had a reputation of occasionally failing under a fall.  But I agree they should be plenty strong to hold a telescope to a mount. My ST-80 clone that has the stock the 1.25" focuser is supported by a single 1/4 inch bolt attached to a camera shoe on a fluid head video mount.  Works fine.

My other ST-80 clone has a two inch focuser and I routinely use heavy two inch eyepieces, so I would want two bolts . . . not because of the strength of the bolts, but just to have two solid points of contact to keep the scope from rotating where it shouldn't.

My current ST-80 has a 2 inch focuser and I use it with eyepieces like the 31mm Nagler.  It works fine with just a single 1/4 bolt, it just has to be tight enough.  

I am using a single ring as a clamshell, its a heavy duty William Optics ring but I have used standard Skwatcher/GSO rings as well.

Celestron ST-80 Lens Cell.jpg

Jon

#312 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:30 AM

My current ST-80 has a 2 inch focuser and I use it with eyepieces like the 31mm Nagler. It works fine with just a single 1/4 bolt, it just has to be tight enough.

I am using a single ring as a clamshell, its a heavy duty William Optics ring but I have used standard Skwatcher/GSO rings as well.

Jon

I used to have a different scope that weighs 6 pounds held to a dovetail with single bolt in the clamshell. It was a used scope and the prior owner set it up that way. The bolt seemed pretty tight and it worked fine for a while.

One night it swung wildly just when I put in a heavy two inch eyepiece before I had a chance to tighten it. Luckily I caught the scope before it hit the tripod and the eyepiece didn't fall out. I was surprised the scope had moved since the clutches on the mount were locked. Turned out the bolt had loosened just enough for the scope to rotate around the single bolt. Next day I figured out how to attach a second bolt to the clamshell. Personally I won't use a scope with heavy eyepieces without at least two bolts, at least not with an equatorial or side saddle in an alti-azimuth.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 23 January 2021 - 07:33 AM.

#313 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:11 AM

Personally I won't use a scope with heavy eyepieces without at least two bolts, at least not with an equatorial or side saddle in an alti-azimuth.

It does depend on a number of factors but it certainly works if done right.  I did try to make a dovetail out of wood but that let the scope at times and I gave it up.

If the scope shifts, swings, it's not coming loose and falling, the eyepiece isn't coming out, the diagonal isn't coming out, its just shifting. 

Jon

#314 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

It does depend on a number of factors but it certainly works if done right. I did try to make a dovetail out of wood but that let the scope at times and I gave it up.

If the scope shifts, swings, it's not coming loose and falling, the eyepiece isn't coming out, the diagonal isn't coming out, its just shifting.

Jon

Well in my case the scope would have swung upside down and probably would have banged the tripod if I hadn't caught it. Sure, if the diagonal and eyepiece were fully tightened and/or if the barrel under cut worked, they would not fall out. And in my case they didn't. But I prefer my scopes not to be able to swing around on their own. If it's mounted upright on an alti-azimuth then its probably not an issue but (other than my 1.25" ST-80 that sits upright on a video tripod with a single bolt) all my scopes are either on an equatorial or side saddle on an alti-azimuth where the weight could cause unwanted rotation and I prefer not to have them rotating when they aren't supposed to. Id be okay with a single ring if it had two bolts, even just a smaller secondary screw that just served as a stop to rotation.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 23 January 2021 - 03:56 PM.

#315 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:31 PM

. But I prefer my scopes not to be able to swing around on their own.

Me too. I have been using the single rings with a single bolt for at least 10 years.  The only problem I have had is with the wooden dovetail.  

I am not trying to convince you or anyone that it's a viable technique, just sharing my experiences.  

Jo

#316 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:03 PM

I use a Orion ST80 with 2" GSO focuser as a perminent finder scope for my 17.5 f4.1 Dob.  It is nice to see a bright open clusre or globular cluster in the finder before seeing it in the big dob.  I mostly use a 1.25" Meade 18mm 82 AFOV 5000 UWA eyepiece in it to not have balancing issues.  But sometimes I use my 2" eyepieces like 30mm 82 AFOV and 40mm 70 AFOV finders, or 100-120 AFOV 2" eyepieces too!  It was a great upgrade to the 50mm finder that came with my dob.

Edited by faackanders2, 24 January 2021 - 01:04 PM.

#317 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

Last weekend I took my C8 out to my favorite local site and spent a couple hours observing.  When I decided to call it a night and removed the C8 OTA, I remembered I had an ST80 laying on my front seat.  Dropped that into the saddle and found myself spending another hour exploring open clusters at 12.5X magnification wishing I had a T mount for my DSLR.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1385 copy.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 24 January 2021 - 09:00 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, belgrade, niteskystargazer and 5 others like this

#318 ayadai

ayadai

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Mariana Islands

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

I just ordered the Orion ShortTube 80mm Equatorial Refractor Telescope (for purposes of this post, I'll refer to is as the ST-80-E). I wanted a grab-no-go, wide[r] field scope to complement my 8SE and was looking for a motorized equatorial mount upon which I can directly mount my DLSR. The EQ-1 equatorial mount with the EQ-1M electronic drive fits the bill, the package price was compelling and it was in stock (big bonus there!).

Visually, the OTAs of the ST-80-A and the ST-80-E look identical. Looking at the specs, the only difference I could see was this: "Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Magnesium Fluoride" was missing on the sheet for the ST-80-E.

Yay! 30th post and 11 days to go before I'm a real boy!

Edited by ayadai, 18 February 2021 - 07:49 PM.

• Tom Stock and hcf like this

#319 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:48 AM

The recently released ST80 on an EQ1 combo sold out in a heartbeat at $250.

#320 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:59 AM

The recently released ST80 on an EQ1 combo sold out in a heartbeat at $250.

Also a Starseeker IV goto combo with it.

https://www.telescop...60/p/132760.uts

#321 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:06 PM

Also a Starseeker IV goto combo with it.

https://www.telescop...60/p/132760.uts

I like it, except for the price.

I bought my ST80 for $45 with an EQ1 mount.  It was old and neglected but cleaned up nicely.

I later snagged a NexStar SLT mount for a (I felt like I was overpaying) $200 but it came with the wifi dongle...

It's the same thing for half.

#322 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

I later snagged a NexStar SLT mount for a (I felt like I was overpaying) $200 but it came with the wifi dongle...

It's the same thing for half.

One difference between the SLT mount and the Starseeker IV are the optical encoders which allow you to move the scope manually by hand without losing alignment.

• mrsjeff likes this

#323 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:12 AM

Oh, hey! The Starseeker IV package comes with those ubiquitous cheap eyepieces that used to be known under the "Vite aspheric" name. I wonder how they do in an ST80? Probably not great, I think F/5 would be pushing it with them.

#324 tkay71

tkay71

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:30 AM

My SSIV + ST80 package arrived two days ago. The cheap eyepieces are, in fact, cheap eyepieces, nor do the focuser + focal length improve the situation. Visual performance is decisively superior even with basic plossls. The diagonal is modest but at least functional, a fact demonstrated by supplying it with basic plossls. That eyepieces which constrain instrument performance are supplied with these "complete" packages is very dissatisfying, as the tube itself yields pleasing views with only a minimal upgrade of quality in the optical chain.

In fact my interest in the package was mostly the mount, not the tube. That said, after two nights with it, I may yet keep it, on this mount it works perfectly, zero vibration, decent ergonomics, easily transported, and with competent eyepieces the views improve dramatically.

I studied all the mounts in this class and the SSIV won for my use cases. Particularly the standard SLT does not provide fully manual motion nor as mentioned does it have optical encoders. For me this matters as I enjoy swinging the scope by hand and simultaneously desire freedom from electricity -- with this mount a get both, on a whim. The on-paper capacity rating of 13lbs is ~60% greater than the standard SLT and reports are it handles just fine compact scopes near and even beyond its limit, something I need as I fully intend to outfit it with a 127-150 cass in the coming weeks. I don't care too much about this, but the accessory tray is of higher quality and if nothing else, heavier and easier to outfit with additional center mass if required. A major issue is serendipitously finding this mount in the pre-owned market is very difficult, whereas the SLT is relatively easy. Lastly, the SSIV weighs more, hence unless one has actually stumbled across a pre-owned unit within reasonable driving distance, the fully burdened cost (i.e. with shipping) rapidly approaches a new unit which of course will have a warranty, something to consider with a motorized device the actual usage profile of which is unknown.

All that considered, I went for the package and do not mind the extra hundred dollars or so since I get a new tube along with it.

• hcf and Ihtegla Sar like this

#325 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

Wow, the whole being able to use manually while powered on sounds great.

Didn’t know about that.

Not going to go get one today, I have a couple manual mounts that I use often also. Being able to combine them sounds great.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics